Theological Idolatry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Obi Wan Kenobi
THEOLOGICAL IDOLATRY

It is apparent that Christianity today is rampant with watered doctrine and programs that attempt to sell religion rather than truly challenge people with their fallen state and the ramifications of their conditions before a holy God. This is truly terrible and an abomination. However, that is not the only problem. Because of this there is a reactionary movement toward a more biblical theology. But this reaction can place too much emphasis on studying God while losing sight of a true relationship with God and the holiness that He both enables and demands.

Within "œChristendom" there is a movement toward a deeper and greater understanding of doctrine. Yet there does seem to be a cost. In many churches today you can hear a great theological sermon. These pastors have a great understanding of some of the deeper and weightier things of God, and are skilled and gifted at teaching these things to their flocks. This can be a great thing, but the cost is that theology and doctrine have become idolized. The lay theologian reads his systematics and gains a great understanding of theology. He comes to a church where great theological truths are expressed. He then goes home and studies theology to the point where, at the drop of a pin, he can express the difference between supralapsarianism and superlapsarianism, the nuances of Covenant Theology and New Covenant Theology and clearly elucidate on both the five points of Calvinism and every nuance of the Westminster Confession.

However, although his theological acuity is immense, he is not being personally discipled. He most likely doesn´t think he needs it, since God has given him extreme grace and understanding of the deeper things of theology. He is not truly discipling others. Then, when he does pour into others he pours the divines and puritans, or exposits on the great confessions and councils he has learned so much about, rather than pouring Jesus into their hearts. His life is characterized by scholarship and knowledge, but there is a lack of understanding of the simple things of Christ. His relationship with Jesus is an academic exercise. Rather than being characterized by godliness, love, compassion and sacrificial ministry to others, he is caught up in scrutinizing every detail of his brother´s theology.

I recognize the need for theological understanding. Especially amongst the church leadership there must be a good understanding of doctrinal terminology, history and trends, in order to fulfill their responsibility to protect God´s flock. The problem is that theology itself has become a god. Rather than proclaiming Christ, many now proclaim Calvin or the divines. Rather than preach the blood of Calvary they proclaim the great theologians of the Reformation. It´s not that these things are necessarily bad, but that they have overshadowed the work of the cross. They have usurped the wondrous sacrifice at Golgotha and the life that it demands.

Don't get me wrong, great theological truths should be pursued by all believers, but with an eye on holiness and righteousness, for the glory of God, rather than for the pleasure of being "œright" theologically and being able to defend our position against the staunchest critics and decimate gainsayers with the deftness of a viper. The goal in theology is to convince, not crush. The homemaker who´s raising two children on her own will gain little to nothing by knowing the nuances of Trent, Worms or even Chalcedon. Sure, she can use the truth, but she needs it through the clear elucidation of the Scriptures, not through the theological wrangling of Hodge, Stott, Witsius, van Til and von Radd.

It´s time to recognize that much of this theological wrangling is vain idolatry, rather than true worship of the great God of the Bible. The truths that are clearly present in Scripture are so deep, meaningful and, in some cases, difficult to clearly understand, that any man could spend a lifetime striving to explain these things in order to edify the people of God, burden hearts with their sin, bring repentance to sinners, crush the pride of man and extol the virtues of God. God does not need man´s philosophical posturing and strutting in order for His message to be heard and understood.

What we do need today though is men with a clear vision of God and holiness who have a burning desire to clearly proclaim the Gospel and show people, from the Scripture, how they are to live in accordance with the holiness of God. We need men to fall on their faces before God and plead for the people He´s entrusted them with. We need men who weep with a hunger for the current condition of the church, its holiness and the glory of God. It is with this vision that our churches will once again flourish with men with hearts for their sons, who in turn will raise up a godly generation with a vision for holy dynasties that are bent on serving God and His children, for His glory alone.

I will set up shepherds over them who will feed them; and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, nor shall they be lacking," says the LORD. - Jeremiah 23:4

I've had to reframe this because I recognized I had put the cart before the horse, so to speak, and my apology came across as backhanded. This was not the intention, but was the perception.

As I wrote the above observations, I became more aware of my own contribution in this area. I've been frustrated with others as they appear to esteem theological and philosophical pursuits above Christ. Yet I realized that I too have contributed to this. As I have pondered the propensity for us to delight in some of the discussions on this board, and in some cases (perhaps many cases) find joy in trouncing one another with ungracious rhetoric, I have been convicted of my own sin in striving to be "right" too often and win the argument, rather than work for mutual edification with my brethren. We are called to sharpen one another, encourage one another and equip one another for the ministry of the saints and, ultimately, for the glory of God. Often, too often, this has not been the case.

I wish to make a formal apology. There are at least two on this board who I know I have been offensive to on occasion, Kevin Easterday and Paul Manata. Brothers, I ask for your forgiveness. At times I have been bombastic and too aggressive toward you both, and I´m sure I have caused offense. Both my motives and methods have not consistently represented the grace that God has both shown me and that I have been called to exemplify. I am sorry.
I'm sure there are others who have been offended at times by my lack of graciousness, pride and inconsideration. While this board can be conducive to such behavior, and models it all too often, this is no excuse and in not in keeping with the Christ-like character that I wish to nurture and exhibit, and am indeed commanded to live out. To any others I've offended, please forgive me.

As I wrote my thoughts above I realized that it was as much a confession as an observation. In light of this I have become more aware of my need to pursue my relationship with the Savior more vigorously, that I might know and be more like Him.

Thank you for letting me share.

For our King
Joe

[Edited on 9-24-2005 by Wannabee]

It´s time to recognize that much of this theological wrangling is vain idolatry, rather than true worship of the great God of the Bible. The truths that are clearly present in Scripture are so deep, meaningful and, in some cases, difficult to clearly understand, that any man could spend a lifetime striving to explain these things in order to edify the people of God, burden hearts with their sin, bring repentance to sinners, crush the pride of man and extol the virtues of God. God does not need man´s philosophical posturing and strutting in order for His message to be heard and understood.

:ditto:

If this Board's membership and discourse helps to bring people to this kind of reflection and humbleness of heart, Joe, then it has been a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back