Theodoret of Cyrus on Isaiah 53:5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianClinciuJJ

Puritan Board Freshman
In his commentary on the book of Isaiah, Theodoret wrote:

“We became enemies of God through our sins that we have committed. It is appropriate now to endure the punishment of those sins so that we will gain peace. But He[Christ] took upon himself our punishment and gave us His peace. Strange way to heal: the doctor endures the surgery and the patient is the one who gets healed!” (Sources Chretiennes 315:152,153)

I did not find this passage in the Patrologiae. If someone is intersting in the greek text, let me know and I will provide it to you.

Blessings in Christ,
Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In his commentary on the book of Isaiah, Theodoret wrote:

“We became enemies of God through our sins that we have committed. It is appropriate now to endure the punishment of those sins so that we will gain peace. But He[Christ] took upon himself our punishment and gave us His peace. Strange way to heal: the doctor endures the surgery and the patient is the one who gets healed!” (Sources Chretiennes 315:152,153)

I did not find this passage in the Patrologiae. If someone is intersting in the greek text, let me know and I will provide it to you.
I would be interested to see the Greek text of which you speak.

I would be interested to see the Greek text of which you speak.

Here it is:

Ἡμαρτηκότες ἐξεπολεμήθημεν τῷ θεῷ ἔδει δὲ ἡμᾶς παιδευθέντας (οὕτω τ)υχεῖν τῆς εἰρήνης͵ ἀλλʹ αὐτὸς εἰς ἑαυτὸν τὴν παιδείαν δεξάμενος τῆς εἰρήνης ἡμᾶς ἠξίωσεν. <(Τῷ) μώλωπι αὐτοῦ ἡμεῖς ἰάθημεν.> Καινὸς καὶ παράδοξος ἰατρείας τρόπος · ὁ ἰατρὸς (ἐδέ)ξατο τὴν τομήν, καὶ ὁ ἄρρωστος ἔτυχε τῆς ἰάσεως.

SC 315:152

If you want, you can find this particular volume of SC on Scribd. It is bilingual greek-french. I tend to be careful with patristic writings that are not found in the PL, CCSL or CSEL, but, as far as I know, SC is a reliable collection of patristic writings.

Blessings in Christ,
Sebastian

Last edited:
Well, part of your Greek citation is found in Migne; This part,
Ἡμαρτηκότες ἐξεπολεμήθημεν τῷ θεῷ, ἔδει δὲ ἡμᾶς παιδευθέντας οὕτω τυχεῖν τῆς εἰρήνης, ἀλλʼ αὐτὸς εἰς ἑαυτὸν τὴν παιδείαν δεξάμενος τῆς εἰρήνης ἡμᾶς ἠξίωσεν., is found in PG 81:441C.

But you are right that this portion, Τῷ μώλωπι αὐτοῦ ἡμεῖς ἰάθημεν. Καινὸς καὶ παράδοξος ἰατρείας τρόπος· ὁ ἰατρὸς ἐδέξατο τὴν τομήν, καὶ ὁ ἄρρωστος ἔτυχε τῆς ἰάσεως., is not found in Migne.

Last edited:
Do you think Migne may doubt the ending portion, and maybe regards it as a later addition, a marginal note (scribal commentary) that migrated into the text?

Bruce, though Migne's mss of the Latin & Greek fathers is the "go to" reference by most patrologists when they document sources for ancient ecclesiastical writers, his is not regarded as the most "critical" and/or the most reliable for the same. However, Migne's collection is by far the most extensive, his Greek fathers/theologians comprizing around 162 volumes, while his Latin collection has around 221 plus later supplements. I suspect that Sources Chretiennes is often more reliable due to better and more critical scholarship. Now, to be sure, I am simply offering my own personal, 'off the cuff' opinion. So please do not regard my opinion as the final word.

Well, part of your Greek citation is found in Migne; This part,
Ἡμαρτηκότες ἐξεπολεμήθημεν τῷ θεῷ, ἔδει δὲ ἡμᾶς παιδευθέντας οὕτω τυχεῖν τῆς εἰρήνης, ἀλλʼ αὐτὸς εἰς ἑαυτὸν τὴν παιδείαν δεξάμενος τῆς εἰρήνης ἡμᾶς ἠξίωσεν., is found in PG 81:441C.

But you are right that this portion, Τῷ μώλωπι αὐτοῦ ἡμεῖς ἰάθημεν. Καινὸς καὶ παράδοξος ἰατρείας τρόπος· ὁ ἰατρὸς ἐδέξατο τὴν τομήν, καὶ ὁ ἄρρωστος ἔτυχε τῆς ἰάσεως., is not found in Migne.

Thank you very much!
Do you have an index for both the Patrologia Latina & Graeca?

Regarding your comments on the reliability of Migne’s Patrologiae, I think that in terms of reliability I would go with a CSEL (some volumes can be found online, even many writings of Augustine, although, to my disappointment, not his Sermones). But in terms of giving a reference, PL/PG is more available and popular, therefore better.

Blessings in Christ,
Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back