Theodoret of Cyrrhus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
I can't remember if I ever posted this interesting quote from Theodoret here, so I thought I would do so for any who may find it interesting.

Theodoret of Cyrrhus (393-466) commenting on 1 Tim. 6:20-21:
Give a wide berth to those hollow profanities and contradictions in what is falsely called knowledge; by professing it some have strayed from the faith (vv.20-21). Those who followed in the steps of Simon called themselves Gnostics; what the divine Scripture is silent on (they claim) God revealed to them, but they are full of impiety and licentiousness. He was right to call this knowledge what is falsely called knowledge: the darkness of ignorance is what they have, not the light of the knowledge of God. Robert Charles Hill, Theodoret of Cyrus: Commentary on the Letters of St. Paul, Vol. 2 (Brookline: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2001), p. 230.
Greek text: «Ἐκτρεπόμενος τὰς βεβήλους κενοφωνίας καὶ ἀντιθέσεις τῆς ψευδωνύμου γνώσεως. (καʼ.) ἥν τινες ἐπαγγελλόμενοι περὶ τὴν πίστιν ἠστόχησαν.» Οἱ ἀπὸ Σίμωνος γνωστικοὺς ἑαυτοὺς προσηγόρευσαν· ἃ γὰρ σεσίγηκε, φασὶν, ἡ θεία Γραφὴ, ταῦτα ὁ Θεὸς αὐτοῖς ἀπεκάλυψεν· ἔστι δὲ πάσης δυσσεβείας καὶ ἀσελγείας μεστά. Ταύτην εἰκότως ψευδώνυμον ἐκάλεσε γνῶσιν. Ἀγνοίας ζόφον, ἀλλʼ οὐ θεογνωσίας ἔχουσι φῶς. Interpretatio Epistolae I ad Timotheum, Caput VI, PG 82:829.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back