The works of Thomas Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Of late, I have been trying to read through the whole works of various divines. When I am done reading the two volumes of Henry Smith, I was wondering if I should move on to Thomas Brooks. Do his works lend themselves to consecutive reading? I have only read The Mute Christian (recently) and Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices (ages ago) and would be of the opinion that they do not. What do you think?

What in your mind makes for good consecutive reading? I love Brooks and would say there should be no problem for you to read through his works. But that's just me.

It is a fairly subjective judgment, but I would say that the style of writing goes a long way to determine whether or not something makes for consecutive reading. When I read The Mute Christian, I only read a few pages a day because I recalled how difficult Thomas Brooks was to read when I read Precious Remedies owing to the number of points that he uses in his writing. It may, however, just be a matter of getting used to his style.

It is a fairly subjective judgment, but I would say that the style of writing goes a long way to determine whether or not something makes for consecutive reading. When I read The Mute Christian, I only read a few pages a day because I recalled how difficult Thomas Brooks was to read when I read Precious Remedies owing to the number of points that he uses in his writing. It may, however, just be a matter of getting used to his style.
Often, reading the puritans is itself a form of meditation. That being the case, reading them slower is usually wise.

Henry Smith is very high on my list. For personal reading, I am working through Perkins' works. I am trying to decide between the works of Robert Leighton, Henry Smith, Ralph Erskine, Goodwin, William Bridge, or Robert Rollock after I finish Perkins. Joseph Caryl on Job is also a contender. Have you worked through any of Perkins? I highly commend him to you. He is sorely neglected in our day to our own detriment.
Have you read much in the way of Nadere Reformatie theologians? For work-related projects, I am working through our various publishings in that category. I just began Godefridus Udemans' The Practice of Faith, Hope, and Love. He works the Apostle's Creed, The Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments.
As to Brooks, I cannot comment as I have only read the ones you have mentioned.
I remember you mentioning your interest in Edward Polhill's works. I can tell you that our inventory is dwindling and I don't see us republishing them.

Last edited:
Henry Smith is very high on my list.

I am 50% of the way through volume one. Move him to the top of your list.

I am trying to decide between the works of Robert Leighton, Henry Smith, Ralph Erskine, Goodwin, William Bridge, or Robert Rollock after I finish Perkins.

It is a tough call. I recently read Robert Leighton's Theological Lectures (more extracts on the way); I may try to finish his works once I finish reading those of Hugh Binning. As for the Erskine brothers, I finished Ebenezer Erskine's works last Sabbath night, though I need to re-read volume 1, as I read it in 2003. Ralph's works are out of my price range and I do not have the room for them at present. I finished reading all 12 volumes of Thomas Boston recently, which are really good. In fact, I would argue that Boston is Scotland's greatest ever theologian.

Have you worked through any of Perkins? I highly commend him to you. He is sorely neglected in our day to our own detriment.

I have read a fair bit of William Perkins, though not as much as I would have liked to have read, and will make more of an effort soon, God-willing, to read the complete works.

Have you read much in the way of Nadere Reformatie theologians?

Wilhelmus a Brakel's Christian's Reasonable Service (I need to add more quotes to the blog) Alexander Comrie's ABC of Faith, and a couple of the books in the Classics of Reformed Spirituality Series that RHB publish.

I just began Godefridus Udemans' The Practice of Faith, Hope, and Love. He works the Apostle's Creed, The Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments.

I acquired it recently; it looks very good. The more Dutch Reformed material translated from that era the better.

I remember you mentioning your interest in Edward Polhill's works. I can tell you that our inventory is dwindling and I don't see us republishing them.

I have not seen them on sale over here in years. I can always read them online if necessary. That is what I am doing with the works Hugh Binning and I plan to do the same with Alexander Moncrieff and Robert Rollock at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back