The Wild Boar News Podcast at APM

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Growing up, my grandfather, who was an AG minister, broadcasted his radio program called , "The Old Time Religion." I can remember listening to him work it up in his study as a young child.

So, in keeping with tradition, I've devised a short sound byte reformed podcast that will updated a couple of times a week (or so) called "The Wild Boar News Podcast." It takes on the technology of today, with the same sounds that my grandfather would have remembered as "old timey radio."

It is definitely over the top, but we should remember that Reformed Theology should be fun, as well as informative.

The snippets will surround sound bytes on Scriptural Themes, Bible teachings, church history, historical and systematic theology, and any other teaching that advances the truths behind Reformation Teaching and Covenant Theology.

If you like "sound bytes" then this is for you. They range from 5 minutes to 15 minutes.

The Wild Boar News Podcast

WildBoar2.jpg

I listened to the Podcasts on the way to work:

1. Pretty cool the way you make it sound. When it first started and it had that "tuning" sound I thought my MP3 player was making those noises.

2. Your presentation is pretty authentic. The only time I laughed was when you talked about Calvin singing Kumbaya with the elders of Geneva. It's kind of funny as it has an old time radio feel and it sounded funny to hear that word as it felt like I was really listening to an old broadcast.

3. Pretty entertaining history. I learned a few new things about Luther and Calvin.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
Im having trouble accessing it? Is it on Itunes?
Go to Matt's website and the Podcast page is there. Drag the podcast link into your podcasts folder in your iTunes program and it will start downloading.

The first time I installed iTunes, I thought I subscribed to podcasts by clicking on the podcast links on pages. I wondered why I was seeing the xml files. I read the iTunes help and found you had to drag the link over. It's a bit counterintuitive but it works well when you figure it out.

maybe Im too tired but everytime I try to drag nothing happens except for a little image of a circle with a line through it.

and when I click on the podcastmp3 thing it gives me a default page.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
maybe Im too tired but everytime I try to drag nothing happens except for a little image of a circle with a line through it.

and when I click on the podcastmp3 thing it gives me a default page.
That "circle with a line through it" will be there until you drag it over the podcasts folder of your iTunes program.

I have not entered the world of podcasts yet, but I like the reference to Martin Luther:

Arise, O Lord, and judge Thy cause. A wild boar has invaded Thy vineyard. Arise, O Peter, and consider the case of the Holy Roman Church, the mother of all churches, consecrated by thy blood. Arise, O Paul, who by thy teaching and death hast illumined and dost illumine the Church. Arise all ye saints, and the whole universal Church, whose interpretations of Scripture has been assailed. (Papal bull of Pope Leo X, 1520)

Semper reformanda!

Give me that old time religion, it's good enough for me! :sing:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I have not entered the world of podcasts yet, but I like the reference to Martin Luther:

Arise, O Lord, and judge Thy cause. A wild boar has invaded Thy vineyard. Arise, O Peter, and consider the case of the Holy Roman Church, the mother of all churches, consecrated by thy blood. Arise, O Paul, who by thy teaching and death hast illumined and dost illumine the Church. Arise all ye saints, and the whole universal Church, whose interpretations of Scripture has been assailed. (Papal bull of Pope Leo X, 1520)

Semper reformanda!

Give me that old time religion, it's good enough for me! :sing:
Andrew (and all),

You don't need an MP3 player to enjoy podcasts. You can download the free player here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It's actually the Quicktime viewer too. You can drag Podcasts like Matt's and others. If you have an iPod great, it will sync with it. If you don't then that's OK too. You can still subscribe to Podcasts like Matt's and listen to them on your computer.

His first Podcast is just what you quoted and is like a "News story" of Martin Luther as if it's being reported at the time. It includes that quote above as well as Martin Luther's famous speech to the Diet at Worms.

Matt actually has a pretty decent radio voice.

Originally posted by SemperFideles
Andrew (and all),

You don't need an MP3 player to enjoy podcasts. You can download the free player here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It's actually the Quicktime viewer too. You can drag Podcasts like Matt's and others. If you have an iPod great, it will sync with it. If you don't then that's OK too. You can still subscribe to Podcasts like Matt's and listen to them on your computer.

His first Podcast is just what you quoted and is like a "News story" of Martin Luther as if it's being reported at the time. It includes that quote above as well as Martin Luther's famous speech to the Diet at Worms.

Matt actually has a pretty decent radio voice.

Excellent -- thanks, Rich! :handshake:

Thank you Matt, I enjoyed that. I have always enjoyed old radio broadcasts of preachers. I've listened to just about everything Rolfe Barnard recorded. He is the punisher of recording engineers of old. Of course the sound of Vernon McGee's voice is familiar to us all.

When I'm down south I enjoy scanning the am dial looking for the scree of a back hills deliverance preachers (for entertainment purposes of course).

Clever idea to degrade the sound of your voice. My only suggestion is at the very beginning you need to edit out the pause between your theme music and you. There should be a voice over the music to smooth out that transition. Good work.

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
..So, in keeping with tradition, I've devised a short sound byte reformed podcast that will updated a couple of times a week (or so) called "The Wild Boar News Podcast." It takes on the technology of today, with the same sounds that my grandfather would have remembered as "old timey radio."

If you like "sound bytes" then this is for you. They range from 5 minutes to 15 minutes.

The Wild Boar News Podcast

It works! I just listened to the podcast on Martin Luther using I-Tunes. I used the "open stream " command and pasted the following into the box: http://www.apuritansmind.com/podcast/podcast.xml

Love the "old-timey" sounds! Is that really your voice? It's perfect for the format - like a 1950's newsreel narrator. Well done! :bigsmile: :up:

must get an mp3 player

Yup, its me.

I am usually very somber in preaching, writing, book publishing, debating, etc.

In this, I'm purposefully being over the top, while at the same time keeping to the truth, while at the same time trying to bring out some good things people may not necessarily think about.

I hope it works all around as I tweak through it and get it just right.

I have a friend who is going to add in a "50's like introduction and exit for me."

We'll try taping that next week.

I have to say, I haven't had this much fun with something in a while.

Originally posted by Civbert

It works! I just listened to the podcast on Martin Luther using I-Tunes. I used the "open stream " command and pasted the following into the box: http://www.apuritansmind.com/podcast/podcast.xml

Love the "old-timey" sounds! Is that really your voice? It's perfect for the format - like a 1950's newsreel narrator. Well done! :bigsmile: :up:

must get an mp3 player

Curious, I've tried this and the other techniques on Itunes, but I get no broadcast. Just something that says "podcast.xml" and "Elapsed Time: 0:00"

I used to be a geek. I built my own computer back in the 70s and I was even fairly conversant with Fortran, but times have passed me by. Could I just download an mp3 from somewhere?

Vic

I just downloaded it into my i-Tunes player. I can't wait to sit down and listen to it! Thanks Matt, for doing this. :handshake:

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
I have to say, I haven't had this much fun with something in a while.

I knew you were going to be bit by the bug...:bigsmile: Good job. I subscribed to both of them.

Joshua, Yup, definitely bit by the bug. I'm going to go and pick up and ipod this week. Why do we need radio when we have the internet? Its such a LARGER audience all around. Now its just a matter of letting everyone know about the "wild boar in the vineyard of the Lord...:":lol:

Originally posted by victorbravo
Originally posted by Civbert

must get an mp3 player

Curious, I've tried this and the other techniques on Itunes, but I get no broadcast. Just something that says "podcast.xml" and "Elapsed Time: 0:00"

I used to be a geek. I built my own computer back in the 70s and I was even fairly conversant with Fortran, but times have passed me by. Could I just download an mp3 from somewhere?

Vic

Vic,

Easily - click on the xml page. You will see the links inside the text there for each podcast. WBNP1, WBNP2, and etc. as time allows. Highlight the whole link, paste it in your browser and it will download.

Thanks Matthew, I found them. They are great!

My problem was an abnormally slow connection speed.

Vic

News flash just in: [beep beep beep] Scott comes in: (though he is not actually Scottish.......)

Actually, I'm alergic to microphones Josh!

[Edited on 4-26-2006 by Scott Bushey]

If you ever need some Military sound effects...

By the way, a big time saver for you if you start generating a lot of content is a digital voice recorder. You mentioned "taping" so I wasn't sure how you were recording. If you're recording to tape and then lining the audio in using a tape deck and then having to convert the file to MP3 then a digital voice recorder that records directly to MP3 could save you a lot of time.

I'm using an program I bought from the UK called Polderbit. It is an editing suite that records directly in MP3 format into the computer. I can edit it right there, paste themusic, and I'm done. From writing, to recording to editing to uploading, the whole thing takes about 30 minutes.

Its TOO easy.

Listened to the two new podcasts today. Good stuff! I like the format of the ol'e time radio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back