The War on Abstinence: An agressive ACLU and Planned Parenthood strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianTrader

Puritan Board Graduate
. . . The ACLU and Planned Parenthood have teamed up in an aggressive campaign over the past several years—a campaign to pressure states to eliminate abstinence education and to reject federal funding for these programs. And though their work hasn’t drawn much attention, it has been remarkably successful. A year ago, only four states refused federal abstinence-education funding. Today the number is seventeen. The goal is to get enough states to refuse the federal abstinence-education funding to the point where the ACLU and Planned Parenthood can convince Congress to eliminate such funding entirely . . .

FIRST THINGS: On the Square » Blog Archive » The War on Abstinence

It would be interesting to really analyze whether or not the abstinence only programs are actually working. I haven't seen any numbers one way or the other, but to me that is the defnitive argument...

I won my war on abstinence 9 years ago (in 2 weeks)...I got married! As the saying goes, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder....

I watch movies like "She's To Young" on lifetime with my kids..and then talk with them about the consequences of sexual activity outside the confines of marriage.

She's Too Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the best programs are those that require parent/child communication..

I have watched that movie and that movie can stimulate sinful feelings especially in guys. I would do that with great caution. For girls its a good movie for a mother and daughter to watch then discuss but not for guys.
Also as much as I believe in sexual purity the abstinence programs are not working over all in general. Yes the secular forces have fudged some numbers, but even by conservative studies there is no difference in terms of stoping sex before marriage. If anything like all things in the Bush administration it has created a bigger divide. More young people having sex at younger ages, fewer in the 15-17 range and same for 18-... The only real difference is that the national average for starting sexual activity has decreased. I do not know that it can be blammed on the programs but one thing is clear that there is no difference. And a bigger point I think that should be taken into consideration is that it does make no sense to commit to sexual purity outside of the Christian Worldview which is based in the nature of God and how He has revealed himself. Worldly people have no problem as a whole in using condems and riskings stds in order to have a few hours of physical pleasure. Christians on the other hand believe that sex was designed by God for His glory ultimately. The World sees it selfishly. You cannot use secular government to promote Biblical truth when the culture overwhelming rejects it, well you can but it makes no sense to complain about it. Christians in the United States need to start getting used to being marginalized. It's happening more and more and to expect to be this great influential force to change society through government was always a bit dellusional (sorry D.James Kennedy whom I love as a brother. in Christ).
Christians must preach sexual purity but we must never be willing compromise the message by lying about numbers, sexual disease risks and non-existant dangers like we have done the past 8 years (and I was in Junior High and high school then and heard these abstinence lectures and such and I have many anecdotes about this some humerous). Why should we be suprised when worldly teens act like wordly teens have always acted and disobey God's revealed law?

It would be interesting to really analyze whether or not the abstinence only programs are actually working. I haven't seen any numbers one way or the other, but to me that is the defnitive argument...

Actually I disagree. I do not see how any empirical study could yield definitive results. All one has to do is say that one needs to do X differently, not yield that X is somehow the wrong thing to do.

I would say the definitive argument in favor of abstinence only education is that the alternative is a denial of human nature mostly brought on by some evolutionary view of man.

CT

jogri1

I have watched that movie and that movie can stimulate sinful feelings especially in guys. I would do that with great caution. For girls its a good movie for a mother and daughter to watch then discuss but not for guys.

With all due respect I disagee, feelings in and of themselves are not sinful, God created us with them, it's whether or not we learn to control those feelings that is the issue. One of the fruits of the spirit is Self-Control, so learning to control one's reactions to their feelings would be part of that.

So while I agree it may stir a young boys feelings, it is the parents responsibility to help him learn to work through and control those feelings, which is why the conversations during and after such a movie are so vitally important.

it is no different than teaching a child to control their feelings of anger when they are hurting, the same principle applies. You do not want a child to react in their anger lashing out to injure someone any more than you want them to react to their sexual urges, where they may end up with a child, or with a disease.

Abstinence education worked to reverse the AIDS epidemic in Uganda but there was more genuine Christianity there, proportionally, than there is in the States.

Abstinence education worked to reverse the AIDS epidemic in Uganda but there was more genuine Christianity there, proportionally, than there is in the States.
This I do agree with to a extent. It did not reverse the AIDS epidemic but rather slowed down the rate more than with condems (which culturally many do not like).

jogri1

With all due respect I disagee, feelings in and of themselves are not sinful, God created us with them, it's whether or not we learn to control those feelings that is the issue. One of the fruits of the spirit is Self-Control, so learning to control one's reactions to their feelings would be part of that.

So while I agree it may stir a young boys feelings, it is the parents responsibility to help him learn to work through and control those feelings, which is why the conversations during and after such a movie are so vitally important.

it is no different than teaching a child to control their feelings of anger when they are hurting, the same principle applies. You do not want a child to react in their anger lashing out to injure someone any more than you want them to react to their sexual urges, where they may end up with a child, or with a disease.
One thing I love about being a Christian is that two brothers can disagree and totally be serving the same God. And not being a parent I can not know what I would do in reality. And I do believe its the job of the parents to help deal with the natural sexual urges from biology though I must stress that it is the ideal for the father to teach the son and the mom her daughter. But seeing this movie it did produce lustful thoughts in me when I first saw it as a junior in High School. And I rewatched it just an hour ago and a couple of scenes I would not want my 8-12 year old to see if I had a kid. There is drunkeness, a very clear reference to pre-martial oral sex, group sex, drugs, and child **** (cellphone pics of minors) in the movie. Yes I know all are relavent to the plot but my conscience told me that this movie could easilly be used as soft-core ****. There are better ones out there. Juno was a better movie on this subject. But at the same time my parents are atheists so I never had a good Christian upbringing so I had to fight lust and p0rnography all by my self. The elder at my church (my old Church) told me that **** is natural and sex is a gift from God therefore **** can't be a sin given they are in theory consenting adults.

. . . The ACLU and Planned Parenthood have teamed up in an aggressive campaign...The goal is to get enough states to refuse the federal abstinence-education funding to the point where the ACLU and Planned Parenthood can convince Congress to eliminate such funding entirely . . .

:offtopic:

*sigh* Yet another reason why my daughter will NEVER go to public school, even if that meant I had to eat bread and water and live in a broken-down shack to be able to afford my wife staying home with her (main choice) or sending her to private school (distant second choice).

The sheer volume of the anti-everything-good philosophy surrounding government schools today is simply amazing. It seems every day there is some new group or person trying to invent some new form of evil to cram down the children's throats or to prevent them from receiving any sort of knowledge that might contradict a secular and hedonistic worldview.

in my opinion they have become little more than taxpayer-funded secular daycare for school-age children...with a bunch of worldly philosophies thrown in.

Is abstinence normal behavior for Marines?

It is if they are wearing Birth Control Glasses (BCG's, for short)

261204568_6473ec9667.jpg

(Yes, I am aware that is a soldier, and not a Marine)

Last edited:
Not suprising. Secular Humanists believe that man is perfectible by operation of macro-evolution. Hindering propigation and indulgence of pleasure is an avertment of an evolutionary process and a restraint on the development and progression of the gene pool. They literally do believe that not having sex is morally wrong, I would wager.

The liberal agenda is so illogical it is laughable. Whenever something doesn't work, they get rid of it. A parallel remedial operation is when your car breaks down, get rid of the car. I reiterate, laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back