"The transcendent excellency and efficacy of Christ’s prayer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
ABurgTitlepage2.png

All the children of God are under the fruit and benefit of Christ’s mediatory prayer. Take up these two aforementioned places, “If any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father” (1 John 2:1). Here [it] is supposed that upon every sin we commit, there is an indictment, an impleading of us, an accusing of us to God. You think nothing of your sins when committed, they are presently out of your mind, but oh the charge and indictment that is against you before God! Only the godly have Christ [as] an advocate. He does constantly plead for them; He takes their parts and He is sure to prevail. What treasures of comfort are here for the godly: when you are not thinking or minding your own self, Christ in heaven is pleading for you. It is good to have this friend in the court of heaven, so “he ever liveth to make intercession for them” (Heb. 7:25). He ever lives, and this He attends to. When you are sleeping and cannot pray for yourself, He makes intercession for you. So that Christ, though exalted and made glorious in heaven, has not laid aside His love and earnest affections for your good. As Joseph, when lifted up in Pharaoh’s court sent for his father and brethren to give them the good things of Egypt, thus it is here. Christ said, He went to His Father to provide mansion places in heaven for them (John 14:2). Oh the unspeakable dignity and happiness to be under Christ’s intercession; if we do so much esteem the prayer of a godly man on earth, and the effectual prayer of one righteous man prevails much. The excellency of prayer appearing in that it only is compared to frankincense (Heb. 5:7), signifying as this does recreate and refresh man, so does a true right prayer please God; what then will the prayer of Christ Himself do? If a Job, if a Daniel, if a Moses could do so much in prayer, when yet their prayer needed Christ’s prayer for acceptation and impetration, how prevalent must Christ’s prayer be for His believers?

Anthony Burgess. Christ's Prayer Before His Passion: Expository Sermons Upon John 17, Vol. 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books. Coming soon.

@Regi Addictissimus

What a joy to read, considering how mindless we are of our own sins, and how little we pray ourselves. Christ tightly holds onto us even when we are loosely holding onto him. Thank you.

@Regi Addictissimus

What a joy to read, considering how mindless we are of our own sins, and how little we pray ourselves. Christ tightly holds onto us even when we are loosely holding onto him. Thank you.

Indeed, brother. These sermons are bringing me much comfort as I find myself in a season of affliction and transition.

It is my pleasure to share these. I hope to do a devotion a day from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back