The top 100 Christian books...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
I'm not on Twitter, but Jared Wilson's status today sums it up pretty well.

Adult coloring books, Sarah Young, and drivel...although the NKJV Outreach Bible is in the 90's...

Oh Lord, have mercy upon us.

It was good to see the RV up to fifty-seven over all and number eight among translations. I pray this is a sign of a growing hunger for God's word among Spanish speakers.

Yikes!!!!!!!

What books, physical books, do you guys buy this year (99.8% of books I buy are Kindle)? I got:
Darrell Bock - Luke (vol 1)
Timothy Keller - Making Sense of God
City of God
A few ESVs for the fam as they were 50% off from Westminster Press
A slew of kid books (including that Sally Lloyd Jones book on that list)

You might breath a sigh of relief when you look at the stores whose sales they are basing all this on:
AAFES
Amazon.com
B&N.com
Barbara's Bookstores
Barnes & Noble
BJ's
Books-A-Million
BooksAMillion.com
Buy.com
CatholicCompany.com
CNI
Cornerstone
Cokesbury
Costco
Deseret Book Company
Deseretbooks.com
Family Christian
Follett Stores
Hastings
Hudson Group
Independents
LifeWay
Mardel
Musictoday.com
NBC.com
One World Enterprises Powells.com
Premiere Collectibles Rabbitroom.com
Sam's Club
Seagull Books
Stretch the Skies
Target.com
Babies "R" Us
H.E.B
Home Shopping Network
K-Mart
Kroger
Meijer
QVC
Shoprite
Starbucks
Stop & ShopSuperValu
Target
Toys "R" Us
Walmart

Other than Amazon, I don't know of Reformed Christians using any of these as their go-to bookseller.

You might breath a sigh of relief when you look at the stores whose sales they are basing all this on:

Other than Amazon, I don't know of Reformed Christians using any of these as their go-to bookseller.

I get gift cards to Books a Million sometimes. Granted, it's an inferior store (even from a secular standpoint), but still, free is free.

Stope, when I buy books, I choose physical books almost exclusively.

When I get gift cards, they're typically to Lifeway (or sometimes CBD). The people at Lifeway always tell me I order the weirdest books. They sigh and say, "How do you spell that?" (and then mutter under their breath, "And how do you stay awake reading that?") Lifeway isn't my go-to, but it's where I often end up going to.

I can't remember if I've shared this on PB or not, but I actually met the young man who is now my pastoral intern because I'd ordered a couple of J.C. Ryle volumes from Lifeway. I wound up in his checkout line to pick them up. "You've got to be a pastor," he said, "and a Calvinist. Nobody but a Reformed pastor would buy Ryle. Do you take interns?" I replied, "I do, but I prefer to know their names first." :lol:

It's bad, but not quite as bad as it looks. The smaller, more Reformed-minded publishers tend to use selling channels that don't show up on this list. They sell maybe half their books either directly using email advertising, or at conferences, or through seminary and denominational bookstore outlets. Of course, there's a reason Nielsen doesn't collect data from these outlets: they're relatively small compared to the mass outlets. Still, the data used to compile these lists are skewed a bit in favor of the type of books you're likely to see at, say, Wal-Mart. And they are strongly skewed against books that tend to be purchased in bulk by churches and ministry leaders, who are more likely to buy directly or via denominational and seminary outlets.

When Show Them Jesus was published, we sold 9,000 copies in the first week without using a single outlet monitored by Nielsen.

You can use those places to buy cookbooks, books about auto or home repair, gardening books, and so on.

I read that list of 100 books. It is a horrible commentary on the state of American so called Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back