The Theology of Benedict XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
As an ex-Catholic, I really appreciated this discussion. I also appreciate that Benedict was a “what you see is what you get” Catholic who hardened the lines of distinction between RCC and Protestantism.

On a side note, it’s interesting how ex-Catholics usually never look back after becoming Reformed/Presbyterian while lifelong Protestants are more susceptible to crossing over to Catholicism.

I really enjoy the chats they have on the reformed forum as well. They did ones on divine simplicity and Justin martyr too that were very interesting. Your comment about Protestants playing around with Rome is spot on as well. I think many have only been exposed to stereotypes and even more so, don't even know why they are Protestant to begin with. Granted there are a lot in the Roman church like this as well, just born into it. Protestants that aren't reformed I think have the most issues because of the synergism.

As an ex-Catholic, I really appreciated this discussion. I also appreciate that Benedict was a “what you see is what you get” Catholic who hardened the lines of distinction between RCC and Protestantism.

On a side note, it’s interesting how ex-Catholics usually never look back after becoming Reformed/Presbyterian while lifelong Protestants are more susceptible to crossing over to Catholicism.

Now, see what you did? You just made me spend money, dagnabit!

I wouldn’t say “never”. They are quite boastful about “reverts.” Even so, I find myself quite inoculated against Rome though I was an adult convert.

Yeah, the pope, the altar, the perpetual sinless virgin and her immaculate conception. Too much baggage in all that. It just seems like a whole lot of distraction. I respect Pope Benedict, probably more than the powers that be .... but there’s no appeal for me, thankfully. And Francis seals it. It’s weird how the tone and emphasis of that institution can fluctuate like that. It’s like the OPC and the PCUSA all rolled into one establishment.
I think the RCC is in trouble, at least in my neck of the woods, not many members under 50 on any given Sunday (or Saturday evening) I hear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back