The sword of justice satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (The Sword of Justice awakened against God's Fellow), Sermons 1:28:

This sword of justice was not satisfied with the blood of Sodom and Gomorrah; it was not satisfied with the blood of the old world; it was not satisfied with the blood of bulls, goats, and all the legal sacrifices of old; yea, the blood of the whole creation cannot give it satisfaction, though it were bathed therein: without the shedding of more blood, better blood, there is no remission, no satisfaction to justice, no real satisfaction with God; no salvation of the sinner. Therefore, “Awake, O sword, against the man that is my fellow;” till it be drunk with the blood of this man, it never gets a satisfying draught of blood. Well then, says this man, “Lo, I come!” let justice take a full draught of my blood. Well, “Awake, O sword!” let the blood of this man, my fellow, be shed; shed at his circumcision, shed in the garden, shed in his being crowned with thorns, shed in his being scourged, shed in his crucifying; well, thus the blood of God’s fellow was shed. What say you now, sword of justice, are you pleased? Are you satisfied with blood? Yes, I have got my fill of blood; “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased:” I am pleased and satisfied to the full with his obedience to the death; I have got all the satisfaction I wanted from my shepherd, and I have no more to demand of him, or his sheep either. O glory to God, that ever this bloody and insatiable sword did awake against one that could give it blood enough, satisfaction enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back