The suicide of a civilization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad Hutson

Puritan Board Freshman
I stumbled upon this article from a Roman Catholic magazine. Great summary of the death spiral America is in.
"The whole mood of the dying culture is gray. Acedia is its besetting sin, manifest in spiritual inaction, and in ceaseless work for work’s sake, or work for low aims. There is no mirth in its humor. Flippancy is its note, the laughter of the bored, the super-sophisticated, the worldling, the weary. Children do not fill the streets with their cheerful games and laughter. Churches are empty. The society’s basic institutions are weak—the family especially. Social trust is gone. Tradition, which is a form of social trust, the compact between the generations, is traduced or forgotten. Nothing is sacred."

The Suicide of a Civilization - Crisis Magazine

Well, that is a pretty good summary. I see he still got his nod to sacred tradition in as well.

Great summary of the death spiral America is in.
"The whole mood of the dying culture is gray. Acedia is its besetting sin, manifest in spiritual inaction, and in ceaseless work for work’s sake, or work for low aims. There is no mirth in its humor. Flippancy is its note, the laughter of the bored, the super-sophisticated, the worldling, the weary. Children do not fill the streets with their cheerful games and laughter. Churches are empty. The society’s basic institutions are weak—the family especially. Social trust is gone. Tradition, which is a form of social trust, the compact between the generations, is traduced or forgotten. Nothing is sacred."

My Reaction:

Though judgment has begun--for it was inevitable. And it must have its perfect work. But destruction must not be our foregone conclusion. James M. Hamilton, Jr. sums up all of Biblical theology in his book,

God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment

I think he is correct. From Noah's flood to the last battle, we see this theme Judgment unto Salvation played out globally.

Judgment has begun, but do we consider that it may be starting in the "house of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)
Numbers 16:46​
And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a censer, and put fire therein from off the altar, and put on incense, and go quickly unto the congregation, and make an atonement for them: for there is wrath gone out from the Lord; the plague is begun.

While Psalms 9:17 is true, "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."
Remember Ninevah. Remember also Israel and Judah--the former destroyed without remedy, but the latter granted repentance and Salvation after 70 years of judgment.

Sometimes a verse can be too familiar, but I can't think of a better one for this time.

2 Chronicles 7:14​
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Psalms 89:13​
Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

I am, as I am sure many of you are, praying earnestly for the Church.
We know God's revealed will and should pray that it will be done on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back