The Sufficiency of Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to ask:

The writers of the gospel accounts who carefully recorded what Christ said and did in this time of His life and death did not record this occurence. So is it not adding to the Word of God, indeed, putting words in His mouth, to display such a scene?

Then you and others find as your favorite part of the movie a part that departs from the Biblical narrative?

You were moved by a modification made to the Word of God?

David wrote:

"Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven. Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way."

Emotions are not wrong. David here expresses great love and emotion toward God and His Word. But he also hates (an emotional response) every false way, every lie, every deception. Every departure from truth.

Would that I, and that we all, had the same emotional compass as David.

Phillip

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by pastorway]

I have learned more about Roman Catholic symbolism from my refrormed brethren here than I learned in 12 years of Roman Catholic cathechism.

Visigoth I thank you for saying so much better what I was trying to say Saturday. My daughter was hurrying me to, of all things, go see "The Passion".

I was impressed with the film, in a theological vacuum the film of course had flaws - but so little of the theology I have learned in the last 3 years has happened in a vacuum.

For the biblical ignorant this film will define the gospel and it's our job to bring them to the Christ of the Bible. I would be ashamed if my church rented a theater to use this to teach the gospel.

I regret that thousands of folks wll watch this movie and then a pastor will ask them to "accept Jesus into your heart by praying this simple prayer with me." I regret that the movie will be used as a method.

I am pleased to hear the dialogues and conversations that are taken place in forums and from people I thought I would never hear speak of things spiritual.

I thought the suffering of the movie was placed in a proper context by the opening caption from Isaiah 53 regarding the "stripes"; and then ironically by a terrific piece of movie making in which Satan gives the basis of the Gethesemene agony. Also displayed in this scene was the powerful image of Christ's foot crushing the head of the serpent.

I thought the physical suffering was overdone on the one hand, but on the other hand I thought of how many times I have taught about Christ "standing in the naked flame of God's holy and infinite wrath" and seeing the inability of my hearers to grasp that truth. How does one get their mind around such an amazing thought? As with all of God's attributes we say, "This is God and neither is this God." So the visual brutality at least allows us a point of reference to which we can add, this is nearly negligible to the agony Jesus suffered as the Father turn his back to Him.

God's grace to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back