The Pursuit of Happyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure I want to go to a movie where they can not spell the word "happiness" correctly. I had even considered not working for a company that spelled the word "employee" with only one "e" at the end. Their reasoning? By spelling it "employe" it saved a letter and time and ink. They finally did go back to spelling it "employee", though.

Boy, am I :chained:

From Wikipedia:

The word "Happyness" in the title has been taken from the misspelling of "Fun Joy Happyness" on a mural children have painted on the Chinatown daycare center where Chris Gardner takes his son, Christopher. When Chris points out the mistake, Mrs. Chu replies that it is not important to the pre-schoolers how the word is spelled, only that they have happiness. This leads Chris to contemplate the inclusion of the concept of the individual's right to "pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, and how to pursue a happier, more emotionally secure childhood for his son, than his own had been.

Ha...hilarious!

I saw a disk of this and bought it over here in Indonesia. Only later did I find out that it is, in fact, apparently still out at the movies.

It was a great, great movie - IF it is true. I googled the real life guy and the story seems to come straight from his autobiography.

It is like one of those turn of the century rags to riches pick-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps pulp fiction books from the era between 1880 and 1925 or so.

Watching it over here really made me realize the cultural values we have in the West and it made me appreciate that we do still have a culture that allows someone - through hard work and the blessings of providence - to go from the street to a decent job.

I give the movie as money stars as possible.

I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I especially liked the 60's retrograde character. If you see the movie you'll understand.

The story is a feel-good. It is humanistic in its philosophy. But it is good entertainment.

I saw the movie. It was surprisingly bad...humanistic philosophy aside...it just wasn't good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back