The Pulpit as Eternally Significant

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Time after time we listen to preachers who do not seem to demonstrate fervency or passion. Do these preachers REALLY believe what they say?

As a place of eternal significance, it is not only a place that matters eternally, or that we should view it as such, but that such a view should impact the manner in which we preach because of that reality. In other words, because life and death and heaven and hell are either gained or lost every time the preacher stands in the pulpit, the preacher should preach like a dying man to dying men every time he stands in the pulpit. There is no excuse of being too tired, too lazy, too melancholy, too "œanything." He will view the pulpit as too eternally significant to let a preaching engagement go by that he has not opened matters of eternal importance with vigor, passion and conviction...

More here:
The Pastor and the Pulpit Part 3 "“ the Place of Eternal Significance
by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

http://www.apuritansmind.com/Pastoral/McMahonPulpitPart3EternalSignificance.htm

An Earnest Ministry- the Want of the Times, by John Angell James (Banner of Truth), first published in 1848

That's why I dread trying to embark on the course of being an associate pastor... what have I gotten myself into? It's not a job that merely requires a rhetorician with good oratory skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back