The Problem of Abstracts in Modern 'Reformed' Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particular Baptist

Puritan Board Freshman
Brothers,

One of the problems that I have been noticing in my own theology, and that of many on this board, is the tendency we have to make our theology a set of abstract ideas. I've noticed how when, in the New Testament, Christ makes some very hard statements. When I read those, I can't help but think whether the apostles viewed Christ's commands as some theoretical abstract idea or as a concrete command. When Jesus told his disciples to love their neighbor as themselves and to pray for those who persecuted them, was that just some abstrat idea or Christ or was he giving his disciples actual commands that were to be obeyed? When Christ told the rich young ruler to sell everything he had, was Christ really saying to the young man to hold on to the things of this world but to simply hold them as if he had them not? I'm not here advocating a literalism that would push me to the belief in self-mulilation (such as cutting off my arm if it causes me to sin) or other times when it is VERY clear that Christ is using hyperbole. But, I also think that much of the time we Christians who hold a high view of Scripture and love the Holy Soveriegnty of God have a tendency to spiritualize and shrug off the concrete commands of Christ. It is my firm belief that we 'Reformed' or 'Calvinistic' Christians have much to learn from those whom we deem to not hold to a proper view of salvation. Perhaps we just underline different parts of our Bible than they do? Some people are excited about the fact of predestination while others get excited about selling all that they have and giving to the poor.

Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back