The Presbyterian Philosopher: The Authorized Biography of Gordon H. Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for mentioning this. Someone contacted me about this book because he lived here, attended Church where I go as well as one on the Northeast side of town, and was a Prof here at Butler University. I have read the Hoeksema book on the controversy but have retained absolutely no knowledge of it. Call it getting older and it was probably over 25 years ago. LOL. I just bought the book.

Nothing came of it except some somewhat kind dialogue and small talk and a question about whether Clark ever met Jim Jones the Kool-Aid cult murderer guy.

Clark himself wasn't like that, though some of his disciples give that impression. I'm in a Clarkian facebook group and they are bemoaning the lack of any true churches in the area (i.e., those that teach faith = intellectual assent).

And I am not attacking Clark or even Clarkians. Some of Van Til's disciples can be just as cultish.

Clark himself wasn't like that, though some of his disciples give that impression. I'm in a Clarkian facebook group and they are bemoaning the lack of any true churches in the area (i.e., those that teach faith = intellectual assent).

And I am not attacking Clark or even Clarkians. Some of Van Til's disciples can be just as cultish.

Taken in the most charitable light since I've got nothing else to go on, I think the Indianapolis connection may be how Jim Jones figured into the conversation. (Some may not be aware that Jones started out in Indianapolis, then moved to SF and on to Jonestown.)

Taken in the most charitable light since I've got nothing else to go on, I think the Indianapolis connection may be how Jim Jones figured into the conversation. (Some may not be aware that Jones started out in Indianapolis, then moved to SF and on to Jonestown.)

That's right I think. One of the Reformed Forum hosts always had wondered if Clark ever ran into Jones at Butler I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

961a7702ec3c97bd0280b50f431d9e70.jpg

Doug Douma has a new book out besides his Clark Bio

You can get his latest book through the Trinity Foundation.

Jay
Member, OPC
Texas

Trying to revive this thread some. See the following conference info and comment if the Spirit so leads you. Danke!

The Reformation of Apologetics Conference by the Reformed Forum guys, brethren...

"This year marks the five-hundredth anniversary of the beginning of the Reformation. Yet 2017 also marks the thirtieth anniversary of the death of Cornelius Van Til. In this conference, we will seek to demonstrate how Van Til consistently applied the theological principles of the Reformation to apologetics. We will then proceed to argue that covenantal apologetics, best exemplified by Van Til, is the necessary development and true heir of the Reformation."

Clark not exactly the true heir? :D

http://reformedforum.org/events/conference/

Jay
Member, OPC
Texas

Trying to revive this thread some. See the following conference info and comment if the Spirit so leads you. Danke!

The Reformation of Apologetics Conference by the Reformed Forum guys, brethren...

"This year marks the five-hundredth anniversary of the beginning of the Reformation. Yet 2017 also marks the thirtieth anniversary of the death of Cornelius Van Til. In this conference, we will seek to demonstrate how Van Til consistently applied the theological principles of the Reformation to apologetics. We will then proceed to argue that covenantal apologetics, best exemplified by Van Til, is the necessary development and true heir of the Reformation."

Clark not exactly the true heir? :D

http://reformedforum.org/events/conference/

Jay
Member, OPC
Texas

Clark's view of univocal knowledge probably counts him out on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back