The PCA's Relationship to the Secondary Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was being pursued for the office of deacon in the PCA I was told by the teaching elder to make sure that everyone has at least one exception to the standards, and that the most common exceptions are the Lord's Day and 6 Day creation.

Although things would likely have played out differently in the early years with OPC influence at the General Assembly. Many of the votes were close enough that an influx from the OPC would have made a difference.
Which is no doubt why the PCA rejected the OPC to begin with. There were those in the PCA then, who though conservative and evangelical, were not really confessional and feared the OPC would push them in a more robustly confessional direction. That would have been, to many, a negative development.

When I was being pursued for the office of deacon in the PCA I was told by the teaching elder to make sure that everyone has at least one exception to the standards, and that the most common exceptions are the Lord's Day and 6 Day creation.

My experience as a deacon in the PCA was similar. My pastor asked me if I took any exceptions, and when I said no, he seemed surprised and starting discussing particular points in the standards I should have disagreed with. Now I look back and recognize that as the point in time we started looking for another church.

My experience as a deacon in the PCA was similar. My pastor asked me if I took any exceptions, and when I said no, he seemed surprised and starting discussing particular points in the standards I should have disagreed with. Now I look back and recognize that as the point in time we started looking for another church.
There was recently a Presbycast podcast talking about this very thing. They commented on how remarkable it is that these days in the PCA it is more scandalous to have no exceptions to the Standards than it is to take them, that if you say, "I take no exceptions to the Standards," you are immediately viewed with great suspicion. The PCA is living in the days of the Prophets.

What ever happened to men like Morton Smith? When he wrote How Is the Gold Become Dim, did he realize...?

I read somewhere that one contributing factor for the PCA rejecting the OPC the first time was because of the Shepherd controversy going on at the time. Don't know if that is well documented enough to assert, but it does add one more layer to the historical context.

My pastor asked me if I took any exceptions, and when I said no, he seemed surprised and starting discussing particular points in the standards I should have disagreed with.
I think the assumption is that if you don't have any exceptions, you aren't really familiar with them. And in the PCA, that might be a safe assumption.

to be clear, candidates don't state exceptions, they declare differences - the presbytery grants exceptions...

I read somewhere that one contributing factor for the PCA rejecting the OPC the first time was because of the Shepherd controversy going on at the time. Don't know if that is well documented enough to assert, but it does add one more layer to the historical context.

Is that the "Proto-Federal Vision" guy or am I confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back