The Pastor's Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say that this area in Louisiana has a problem with uninsured drivers. Therefore, those that do comply with the law and insure, must pay all the more.

That and high theft rates made insurance high when living in California's central valley. Sigh.

What makes insurance do expensive?

In addition to the above - Louisiana is also a direct action state. The insurance company is a named defendant in any accident lawsuit. So the suit isn't 'Smith v.Jones', it is 'Smith v. Jones and Megabucks Insurance Company'.

The last I heard, (which has been a while) about 25% of drivers in Louisiana are uninsured at any given time. And minimum liability coverage is only 15k, which means in a lot of cases you are not going to recover much when seriously injured unless you have good UM coverage, which naturally is a no brainer here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had forgotten another reason for the high rates in Louisiana. It's the only place I've driven where I recall them selling mixed drinks in the gas stations. And since you couldn't carry out an open container, they'd scotch tape on the lid to 'seal' the plastic cup, and hand you a straw you couldn't use until you walked out the door. That was several years ago, and I don't know if it is still that easy.

As for litigation, the most recent edition of the Louisiana Bar Journal urges lawyers to defend judges when the Louisiana court system is referred to as a "judicial hell hole". Also, keep in mind that tort law in Louisiana is quite different from the other states.

It's of course important to consider the safety of your vehicle. A car that's been in an accident that compressed it in an area, no longer provides the impact absorption that it once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back