The parachurch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
We discuss parachurch organisations from time to time on PB. I would like to recommend the following article from Carl Trueman as a clear statement of the problems which such organisations raise in relation to the church:

Issue 66 Article 2 - Parachurch Groups and the Issues of Influence and Accountability - Affinity

Especially note the following:

The Problem of Influence, Transparency and Accountability in Parachurch Groups

Parachurch Organisations are not the Solution to the Problem that is Represented by Denominations

The Parachurch is Limited by the Fact it Can Never Practically be the Church

Parachurch Organisations Can Be Vulnerable to Cults of Personality

Parachurch Groups Can Give Power and Influence to Those Who Do Not Biblically Qualify for Such

Parachurch Groups Tend to Minimal Doctrinal Commitments and Occasional Eccentric Emphases

Parachurch Organisations Can Be Vulnerable to Cults of Personality

Parachurch Groups Can Give Power and Influence to Those Who Do Not Biblically Qualify for Such

Parachurch Groups Tend to Minimal Doctrinal Commitments and Occasional Eccentric Emphases

I don't know that these three are distinctive from many churches. And, upon further reflection, I might throw the first one in my bucket, as well.

The Problem of Influence, Transparency and Accountability in Parachurch Groups

I don't know that these three are distinctive from many churches.

I suppose; but the church has a divine reason to be, special promises of grace for dealing with these problems, and there are exhortations to members to be forbearing for the peace and good of the church.

There is a balance... equip the saints to reach out past the physical church walls and cooperating with other churches may help with that There are problematic things with parachurch groups as he says but also opportunities

Other issues include committees vs boards... a board is more independent... a committee answers to some authority in a stronger way

Last edited:
Thanks for that link.

What is clear is that the New Testament knows of no doctrinal authority which is not also an ecclesiastical authority, connected to congregations of the church. Paul does not envisage ecclesiastical functions – preaching the gospel, refuting error, administering the sacraments, and discipleship – being fulfilled by some organisation which stands apart from the church. Overseers are appointed by the church to fulfil these functions within the church.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back