The oldest debate in Rock........

Beatles vs The Stones...the great debate from the 60's to today!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the fascination with the Stones. Their music is very simplistic. In fact, I never miss an opportunity to note them as one of the 3 worst bands ever (In my humble opinion) :

ACDC (absolutely despise this band)
Cheap Trick
Stones

Had a Reformed Baptist friend over last night who would say Stones all the way (you know how strange those guys can be :D ). But he could play some mean blues... took my kids classical and jammed out Stevie Ray, B B King, Hendrix, Clapton & etc. This guy is good! While I vote for the Beatles, I didn't want to argue with him about it 'cuz then he might've stopped playing.

Beatles all the way. But I do enjoy some music by the Stones. Here are clips of particular favorites of mine by both bands.

Beatles perform Let it Be:

[video=youtube;4oZYqAeIdYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZYqAeIdYk[/video]

Stones perform Ruby Tuesday:

[video=youtube;3lrbqinXcHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lrbqinXcHM[/video]

The real debate is Van Halen or Def Leppard, Journey or Genesis.

That's what I'm talking about. Back to the 80's rock debate.

My response is Halen over Leppard. Both bands had very predictable rhythm sections (it's hard not to when your drummer only has one arm!). But Van Halen wins because the Eddie is one of the greatest guitarists and they are one of the few bands that could have two different lead singers lead them without dropping off the face of the planet.

Genesis vs Journey is an interesting question, though. I love Genesis for their originality. I think Phil Collins is a musical genius, although he has sold out to Disney now for an easy life of writing music for cartoons. But Journey has those real singable songs that everyone loves. I would probably have to lean towards Genesis.

The real debate is Van Halen or Def Leppard, Journey or Genesis.

That's what I'm talking about. Back to the 80's rock debate.

My response is Halen over Leppard. Both bands had very predictable rhythm sections (it's hard not to when your drummer only has one arm!). But Van Halen wins because the Eddie is one of the greatest guitarists and they are one of the few bands that could have two different lead singers lead them without dropping off the face of the planet.

Genesis vs Journey is an interesting question, though. I love Genesis for their originality. I think Phil Collins is a musical genius, although he has sold out to Disney now for an easy life of writing music for cartoons. But Journey has those real singable songs that everyone loves. I would probably have to lean towards Genesis.
I'll grant you that everyone loves their songs but no on can duplicate Steve Perry's vocals, it may not be humanly possible.

As far as DL and VH's rhythm section, there were trying to be radio friendly, mission accomplished as they sit on an obscene pile of money. Rick Allen now pays to have someone to clap for him in the absence of a second arm.:smug:

Rick Allen now pays to have someone to clap for him in the absence of a second arm.:smug:

Reminds me of a line from the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Towards the end when Buffy was killing the main vampire servant of the chief vampire, one of his arms got cut off. He was trying to get into her head to make her weaken and he told her that vampires could do things much better than any human. Buffy's response was, "Oh yeah? Clap!"

Rick Allen now pays to have someone to clap for him in the absence of a second arm.:smug:

Reminds me of a line from the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Towards the end when Buffy was killing the main vampire servant of the chief vampire, one of his arms got cut off. He was trying to get into her head to make her weaken and he told her that vampires could do things much better than any human. Buffy's response was, "Oh yeah? Clap!"
I can't vouch for your taste in movies nor your football loyalties:lol::think::p

I can't vouch for your taste in movies nor your football loyalties:lol::think::p

My watching that movie was my parent's fault! As for my football loyalties, let's just say they will never be with the Cowboys no matter what Rich does to my name!

My watching that movie was my parent's fault! As for my football loyalties, let's just say they will never be with the Cowboys no matter what Rich does to my name!
I know, that's why the Redskins are in the same league as Buffy the Vampire Slayer they both (guess which word comes next):D:p:smug: I kid, I kid.

I know, that's why the Redskins are in the same league as Buffy the Vampire Slayer they both (guess which word comes next):D:p:smug: I kid, I kid.

Ouch! Pull that wooden stake out of my back!

Okay, I'm no Fundy and I like a good beer as much as the rest of you BUT...

The Beatles? The Stones? Two dominate forces in their day leading the rebellion of the growing youth sub-culture?

It is hard for me to vote on which idol of the pagans is the best. If I were to, I think Dagon of the Philistines had more staying power in his day than either The Beatles or The Stones.

Old school Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound) is masterful. Folks who only know them for horrid later stuff like I Can't Dance have no idea what they're missing.

Also, since we're discussing the Beatles, here's a cool experiment: have a listen to Sgt Peppers then immediately after, throw in Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Had American blues not ever left the US, the influence of Sgt Peppers would probably have been more widely felt. As it stands, guys like Clapton, Lifeson and Hendrix were able to centralize tunes in the guitar rather than psychedelic synth. Of course, it isn't that clear cut, but I believe the guitar would have been marginalized to pop music for the most part, had the blues not left the Mississippi delta.

Old school Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound) is masterful. Folks who only know them for horrid later stuff like I Can't Dance have no idea what they're missing.

Also, since we're discussing the Beatles, here's a cool experiment: have a listen to Sgt Peppers then immediately after, throw in Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Had American blues not ever left the US, the influence of Sgt Peppers would probably have been more widely felt. As it stands, guys like Clapton, Lifeson and Hendrix were able to centralize tunes in the guitar rather than psychedelic synth. Of course, it isn't that clear cut, but I believe the guitar would have been marginalized to pop music for the most part, had the blues not left the Mississippi delta.
The title track was catchy the rest of the album left much to be desired although the scathing rebuke of televangelism with "Jesus He Knows Me" and a hysterical video were pretty good, the Peter Gabriel years were a little to artsy fartsy for me for the most part. Gabriel and Collins both had nice solo careers in the 80s.

Here's the "Jesus He Knows Me" video [video=youtube;RTrYE4a1BmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrYE4a1BmE[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back