The oldest debate in Rock........

Beatles vs The Stones...the great debate from the 60's to today!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
Who was the better band. The Beatles or the Rolling Stones. This debate has raged since the 60's. I like the Beatles..I think I like Mick and the boys a little better....so........what do the PB people say.:sing::sing::sing:

Last edited:
The Beatles. I don't understand why there is even a debate. The Who and Led Zeppelin are also significantly better and more influential than the Rolling Stones.

The Beatles. I don't understand why there is even a debate. The Who and Led Zeppelin are also significantly better and more influential than the Rolling Stones.
OK....granted.....The Who were ALSO viewed (at the top of their game as "studio perfect" no offence....lets stay focused....this debate is on the two TITAN bands of rock.....Stones and Beatles.

I agree with Don. The Stones have endurance and an unchanging commitment to basic rock and roll but that's it. The Beatles changed music more significantly than any other band. Who can match Lennon and McCartney's song writing talent. It's hard to compare the Beatles with any other band because there style was so ecclectic. I never cared for The Who but I would definitely agree that Zeppelin had far more influence than the Stones.

BTW, I voted for the Beatles. Not EVEN a contest.

White boys doing a 60s version of black rhythm and blues. There would be no Rolling Stones without the likes of Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, and James Brown.

And there wouldn't be any pencils or 2 by 4's if it wasn't for trees, but that's not the debate. Besides, you forgot Little Richard.

I like them both, but in the debate scene it is the "Beat-uls" hands down. Album after album they progressed to be one of, if not the greatest most influential band of all times. Look at the stretch of Revolver,(my favorite), The White Album, SPLHC, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, Let it Be. Sorry Stones, it is not even close.

I still wish Chapman never did what he did, if only Lennon was still here, I believe he would have dumped Yoko and they would have reunited..

The Band that I used to be in, and still in fact jam together, plays an Eleanor Rigby>Got to get you into my life>Tomorrow never knows suite that gives me the chills thinking about it...

:ditto:

If the question is who is the 'best' as far as influence then the debate should be between the Beatles and Elvis.

If the question is who could play their instruments better then they both fall to Zep, the Who, Cream, Rush, the Dixie Dregs, Van Halen etc. etc.

If the question is who is the best songwriters then the Beatles are in another universe.

If the question is who is the best 'live' act, then I will never know. (too young) Although the Beatles were so popular they had to give up live performances. The Stones never reached that level.

The Stones were constantly playing catch up to the Beatles from the get-go. When the Beatles went psychedelic the Stones went psychedelic. The Stones didn't come into their own until the late sixties when they fine-tuned their style, and have been regurgitating it ever since.

Mick Jagger has to be the most overrated singer of all time.

[video=youtube;7P0NG4wcxEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P0NG4wcxEg&feature=PlayList&p=8DDE446EAB3E799D&index=0[/video]

Always loved this period of my life and this song. I was a wee lad.

Look I like both bands....I just like the R&B influence of the Stones.....look they made some weak albums..but look at the stuff they did with the INCREDIBLE guitarist Mick Taylor (Eric Clapton was a fan of this cat)....Let it Bleed, Beggers Banquet, and what MOJO considers one of the best Rock albums EVER.....Exile on Main Street!:sing: "...the sunshine bores the daylights out of me, chasing shadows moonlight mystery."

Last edited:
Hi:

As far as pure Rock n Roll is concerned Led Zepplin tops them both.

-CH
OK........OK...........Ritalin and focus time:lol:......I am ONLY dealing with the two Titans here.....Stones and Beatles.....and yes I like Zep...not the issue here Brother. The Stones and the Beatles are the two top selling bands ever in Rock...that is the threads focus!:)

Last edited:
You drummers out there....Charlie Watts (since he was overshadowed by Jagger/Richards) is in the wors of Neil Pert of RUSH....."One of the greats...and probably one of the most underated percusionist in Rock and Roll....his style is technical perfection!":up:

Seriously, though. I voted Beatles. I can't stand the Stones. Jagger is over-rated. Jumpin Jack Flash and Satisfaction are the only songs of theirs I can even listen to for more than five minutes. Besides, has Earth, Wind and Fire ever remade a Stones' song? I think not.

You drummers out there....Charlie Watts (since he was overshadowed by Jagger/Richards) is in the wors of Neil Pert of RUSH....."One of the greats...and probably one of the most underated percusionist in Rock and Roll....his style is technical perfection!":up:

Sorry, but gotta go with Ringo. in my opinion he was the real reason for the Beatles' sound, instrumentally.

from Wikipedia...

Many drummers list Starr as an influence, including Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Template:Bosh Berlin, Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and others.[24] According to Collins, "Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do."[25]

In his extensive survey of The Beatles' recording sessions, Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in The Beatles' eight-year recording career where session 'breakdowns' were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped due to mistakes by the other three members.[24]

Starr is also considered to have advanced various modern drumming techniques (for playing and recording) such as the matched grip, placing the drums on high risers for visibility as part of the band, tuning the drums lower, and using muffling devices on tonal rings, along with his general contributions to The Beatles as a whole.[23] Specific drum parts executed by Starr in notably signature fashion include the fill that brings the drums and bass guitar into "Hey Jude", the steady rock beats in "Please Please Me" and other early Beatles recordings, the drum kit pattern through the bridge of "Hello, Goodbye", and the driving bass drum notes found in "Lady Madonna", underlying the more intricate, double-tracked snare drum. [citation needed] His use of a 'sizzle' cymbal (a cymbal incorporated with rivets that vibrate) would bring a much fuller sound than standard 'ride' cymbals.

Ringo Starr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beatles are barely Rock n Roll.....

I don't even think of the Beatles as Rock and Roll, great music, yes...but good ole' party time, Rock....once in a while.....but The Stones are hands down, the best Rock n Roll band!!!!!

I like the Beatles and the Stones. Sure the Beatles have much farther reaching influence but as far as just keepin' on keepin on, the Stones win hands down. Granted their sound is very primative especially compared to the Beatles that's why it depends on my mood as to which I'll be listening to at a given time.

As far as the Metal debate goes, sorry no hair bands allowed in my ears. NWBHM scene for me. I was always into Saxon and Motorhead, as opposed to boys that tried to look like the covergirl of Cosmo magazine and just played party rock and then tried to call it Metal.;)

Why Beatles vs. Stones? Why not Beatles vs. Beach Boys?

Interesting question. I once saw an interview with McCartney talking about how the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds" had an influence on them when the Beatles were recording Sgt Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band.

I like the Beatles and the Stones. Sure the Beatles have much farther reaching influence but as far as just keepin' on keepin on, the Stones win hands down. Granted their sound is very primative especially compared to the Beatles that's why it depends on my mood as to which I'll be listening to at a given time.

As far as the Metal debate goes, sorry no hair bands allowed in my ears. NWBHM scene for me. I was always into Saxon and Motorhead, as opposed to boys that tried to look like the covergirl of Cosmo magazine and just played party rock and then tried to call it Metal.;)
Donald my Brother, with all due respect some of the truly "great" Stones Albums were FAR from primitive. When was the last time you slapped in....say...Sticky Fingers? There is amazing studio technical mastery! Listen to Dead Flowers and the interlacing guitar work of Richards and Taylor! Man it will give you shivers! Thats just good stuff!:up:

Last edited:
Hi:

As far as pure Rock n Roll is concerned Led Zepplin tops them both.

-CH
2034.jpg

Probably my most favorite Album of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back