The Official American Idol Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris!!!

I think Chris has a great chance. Adam has run his course, his voice and style was so unique it grabbed people. And although I like his style of music (even more so if not for his personal life) It had lost some appeal as of last night.

Whereas, Chris was still enjoyable to watch, good performer and def. did a better job on the lamest original idol song to date.

I haven't been watching the show, however, I was listening to someone talk about it recently and they seem to think it will come down to a "morality" vote on who wins..

I haven't been watching the show, however, I was listening to someone talk about it recently and they seem to think it will come down to a "morality" vote on who wins..

That would be really unfortunate, in my opinion.

All I know is, I'll buy Chris's CD, but not Adam's. Adam is too overrated and Chris's style is more to my liking.

Adam is more talented...but, like others noted, I can't picture myself buying an album of his. I doubt he could write an original song anyway, though he could interpret other songs in new ways. I thought his performance of "Mad World" was better last night than before...his second performance was decent, and he did as good as one could with such a sappy song as the third...a song which he thought was "beautiful"...which leads me to question his ability to produce a decent album.

Stick to the theatre, Adam.

Kris is good...I thought his first performance was excellent. The second one was decent...the third was atrocious (in content and execution).

One factor in Kris's favor is likeability. What makes me like him more is that it seems he is a Christian...also a worship leader at his church (it is seeker sensitive, however). He carried himself like a Christian, in my opinion, and let his abilities shine more than appealing to how he's a down home boy who married at a very young age...the fact he's not touting these things says to me that he's genuine. He takes criticism and takes praise well, too.

I wouldn't mind it if Kris won...in fact, I hope he does.

I think Kris is going to win it simply because he appeals to a much broader audience. It is a bit reminiscent of when Carrie Underwood went against Bo Bice. Bo had some consistently incredible performances but Carrie just had that quality that people liked whereas Bo's appeal was more narrow.

I also think that most people that liked Danny week after week are more likely to have voted for Kris.

The thing I like about Kris is his musical style but I also found him to be a person I looked forward to seeing interpret the song according to his style. I think Cowell was way off yesterday because I normally don't like that song "What's Going On". I was thinking "What a horrible song to choose for Kris..." but then I loved what he did with it acoustically.

I agree with everyone who said that Adam is too theatrical. I pretty much only like acoustic guitar/bongo style music, so Kris is a natural pick for me. I agree with Rich about What's Going On, and I think that he made it listenable and hip. I thought Adam's second song about Change was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAME. I said to my husband, who thought the same seconds earlier, "Simon Fuller is sabotaging Adam." Then Kara and Randy say best of season???? I really thought that song was way too old-sounding to reach Idol audiences.

The final song every single year is corny as can be as was this one. I think Kris stands a chance because Danny and Allison fans will go over to him rather than Adam

American Idol is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I have friends that would lather me in looks of disdain were I to ever make that known, but it is what it is. It's a very relaxing, relatively clean two hours of entertainment per week. And at this point in life (after what? Seven or eight seasons? I've lost count), Paula, Simon, Randy, the jingles, the lighting, etc., even begin to take on an aura of familiarity and borderline nostalgia. Anyhow.

The last song was very chincy. It just seemed like something you'd see in a satirical self improvement seminar. It was only whispers away from the Biggest Loser theme song, and truth be told I like that better.

I thought they did Kris a huge disservice by making them both sing that last song. Granted Randy said that he thought it fit Kris's voice better, but I would have to disagree. I'm a musical fool, and know nothing about terminology, so work with me: It just seemed like the song only had one verse, and then escalated and climbed higher and higher with repetitive bridges or choruses or refrains or whatever. It's the perfect "vehicle" for Adam to let out his inner banshee and just soar. Kris struggles in the higher ranges, which Kara and others noted.

So to make both contestants sing a song that really favors Adam is a bit sketchy to me. ::assume tin foil hat::

When the season first started I was really impressed with Adam. He really caught my attention in Hollywood week when they sang the group song, "Some Kind of Wonderful" (or something like that) that has the line, "My baby, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-e's out of sight." When he banshee'd that line it was really memorable. It was a couple more weeks before I found out about "the pictures", and by that time I was impressed enough with his voice that my disapproval of his personal life didn't really nullify my enjoyment of his performances.

That being said, I was also impressed with Kris. They gave that kid barely any press at all in auditions and Hollywood week shows. So when he did "Man in the Mirror" he was virtually unknown. And he nailed it. A tiny, skinny everyman singing a Michael Jackson tune, and he somehow made it into the next round, without being pimped by the producers. And he's done the same thing week after week: Be a gamer, and win.

That being said, I'm rooting for Kris. I don't know precisely why, but Adam has just really worn thin on me. At first it bothered me when Kara would critique his "drama", but now it's all I see when I look at him. Sexuality aside (and that's certainly part of it), he's just... corny. His performances all strike me as posturing. Slow walks, goofy looks. I almost feel like his persona can be summed up by that Right Said Fred song "I'm Too Sexy". Also, in his voice, lip snarls, and eyes, at times he tries to come across as wild and bad and strong. I guess I'm just "over" weak, skinny males in life thinking their bad, when most average men, much less strong men, could beat them to a whimpering pulp. It bothers me that there's a sporadic, implicit theme that comes out about him "changing things" and being "bold". To me the implicit suggestion is that it takes courage to do what he does, what with his "lifestyle" and all.

That's laughable. America celebrates all kinds of weird perversions. He's not breaking any "ceiling" that hasn't already been broken before, much to the detriment of this country. When he sings about the "change" that's going to come, it makes me sad, if anything. This country needs men who build things, work hard, and love their families, not face-painted waifs who paint their nails black, kiss guys, and scream for millions of dollars.

Just in terms of his music: I think my musical impression of Adam started to wane a month or so ago. It was something Paula said. She compared him to Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger. The more they lauded him as "ready to make a record" and to be a "superstar", the more I thought of him, not in the context of American Idol, but in the context of famous rock musicians. And though I enjoy his banshee wail, I don't think that he can hold a candle to the upper registers of either Steven Tyler or Axl Rose. Not even close.

Kris doesn't have near the upper register that Adam has (obviously), but I do think he's a better singer. Like I said, I don't know musical terms, but his voice seems to have more "body" to it. I don't mean that it has deeper tones or anything, just that there's more of it there. Adam, whether he's singing Mad World or Led Zeppelin, seems to have a razor sharp, one note, clear voice. Kris sounds like a human singing. I think they could probably both be successful, what with the platform that Idol provides.

If Kris took his career in a Jason Mraz type direction, though, I could see him making a lot of money.

Just hope and pray that he keeps his heart and eyes focused on his wife through all of this, and through what's to come.

Also, as a side note, I found the two "producer picked" songs to be annoying. Both of them just smacked of 60's-social-change-blah-blah-blah. Really gets under my skin.

:2cents:

Last edited:
YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually voted for Kris last night! Wooot!

Theognome

Coveture Voting

Here's what could be envisioned...

Toni and I reviewed the past performances of both contestants throughout their AI tenure. We both took notes. After each performance review, we discussed at length the pros and cons of each candidate. Once this process was completed, She gave me her overview of each, and then waited patiently for me to weigh her words and make the household decision. before I could make such a weighty decision, we spent an hour in prayer first, seeking the Lord's guidance for our vote and hearts. Finally, as she waited patiently, I called the vote line and cast the vote. Once cast, we again prayed that the Lord would bless the vote and save our land from the wickedness that pervades it.

Here's what really happened...

The show was over. Toni went to bed. I called in my one vote, and then posted a new thread about something completely unrelated. She found out that I voted after the show tonight- for which she agreed with the decision and then went to bed.

Thus is federal coveture marriage.

Theognome

Here's what could be envisioned...

Toni and I reviewed the past performances of both contestants throughout their AI tenure. We both took notes. After each performance review, we discussed at length the pros and cons of each candidate. Once this process was completed, She gave me her overview of each, and then waited patiently for me to weigh her words and make the household decision. before I could make such a weighty decision, we spent an hour in prayer first, seeking the Lord's guidance for our vote and hearts. Finally, as she waited patiently, I called the vote line and cast the vote. Once cast, we again prayed that the Lord would bless the vote and save our land from the wickedness that pervades it.

Here's what really happened...

The show was over. Toni went to bed. I called in my one vote, and then posted a new thread about something completely unrelated. She found out that I voted after the show tonight- for which she agreed with the decision and then went to bed.

Thus is federal coveture marriage.

Theognome

:lol:

I noticed Adam sang about me tonight. ;) After I heard it I looked at my husband and said, "Oh no, I bet Kiss is coming on". I about died. :lol:

Yee Haaaaaa, I do believe the vote was more anti Adam than pro Kris. I believe that definitely sealed it.

Sorry, but this annoys me and I can see it on all the headlines tomorrow.
Most of America is fine with gay people.
I voted for the acoustic, folksy guy--I didn't vote against the broadway/meatloaf guy.

"Congratulations, Kris! Now, sing this horrible song!"

;)

Yee Haaaaaa, I do believe the vote was more anti Adam than pro Kris. I believe that definitely sealed it.

I voted for the acoustic, folksy guy--I didn't vote against the broadway/meatloaf guy.

Yeah, I don't see much of a difference between voting for Adam because he's gay and against him for that same reason. Both are silly, in my view.

I'll be silly I voted against Adam for that reason and he was screechy too.

it may not brother most Americans but it brothers this one and is an affront to God.

I'll be silly I voted against Adam for that reason and he was screechy too.

it may not brother most Americans but it brothers this one and is an affront to God.

Yeah I know that. But I hope Kris won because people enjoyed his singing, not because he is straight. I'm sure Kris hopes the same, too.

It is annoying but I am merely making an observation.

I do believe in a year of unbelievable talent, one of the lesser talented prevailed. If anything, Gokey had perhaps the most remarkable voice and Adam was far and away the most talented. Kris, well, just down home I guess.

I do like him though and he is worthy of the title. In my humble opinion

American Idol is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I have friends that would lather me in looks of disdain were I to ever make that known, but it is what it is. It's a very relaxing, relatively clean two hours of entertainment per week. And at this point in life (after what? Seven or eight seasons? I've lost count), Paula, Simon, Randy, the jingles, the lighting, etc., even begin to take on an aura of familiarity and borderline nostalgia. Anyhow.

The last song was very chincy. It just seemed like something you'd see in a satirical self improvement seminar. It was only whispers away from the Biggest Loser theme song, and truth be told I like that better.

I thought they did Kris a huge disservice by making them both sing that last song. Granted Randy said that he thought it fit Kris's voice better, but I would have to disagree. I'm a musical fool, and know nothing about terminology, so work with me: It just seemed like the song only had one verse, and then escalated and climbed higher and higher with repetitive bridges or choruses or refrains or whatever. It's the perfect "vehicle" for Adam to let out his inner banshee and just soar. Kris struggles in the higher ranges, which Kara and others noted.

So to make both contestants sing a song that really favors Adam is a bit sketchy to me. ::assume tin foil hat::

When the season first started I was really impressed with Adam. He really caught my attention in Hollywood week when they sang the group song, "Some Kind of Wonderful" (or something like that) that has the line, "My baby, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-e's out of sight." When he banshee'd that line it was really memorable. It was a couple more weeks before I found out about "the pictures", and by that time I was impressed enough with his voice that my disapproval of his personal life didn't really nullify my enjoyment of his performances.

That being said, I was also impressed with Kris. They gave that kid barely any press at all in auditions and Hollywood week shows. So when he did "Man in the Mirror" he was virtually unknown. And he nailed it. A tiny, skinny everyman singing a Michael Jackson tune, and he somehow made it into the next round, without being pimped by the producers. And he's done the same thing week after week: Be a gamer, and win.

That being said, I'm rooting for Kris. I don't know precisely why, but Adam has just really worn thin on me. At first it bothered me when Kara would critique his "drama", but now it's all I see when I look at him. Sexuality aside (and that's certainly part of it), he's just... corny. His performances all strike me as posturing. Slow walks, goofy looks. I almost feel like his persona can be summed up by that Right Said Fred song "I'm Too Sexy". Also, in his voice, lip snarls, and eyes, at times he tries to come across as wild and bad and strong. I guess I'm just "over" weak, skinny males in life thinking their bad, when most average men, much less strong men, could beat them to a whimpering pulp. It bothers me that there's a sporadic, implicit theme that comes out about him "changing things" and being "bold". To me the implicit suggestion is that it takes courage to do what he does, what with his "lifestyle" and all.

That's laughable. America celebrates all kinds of weird perversions. He's not breaking any "ceiling" that hasn't already been broken before, much to the detriment of this country. When he sings about the "change" that's going to come, it makes me sad, if anything. This country needs men who build things, work hard, and love their families, not face-painted waifs who paint their nails black, kiss guys, and scream for millions of dollars.

Just in terms of his music: I think my musical impression of Adam started to wane a month or so ago. It was something Paula said. She compared him to Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger. The more they lauded him as "ready to make a record" and to be a "superstar", the more I thought of him, not in the context of American Idol, but in the context of famous rock musicians. And though I enjoy his banshee wail, I don't think that he can hold a candle to the upper registers of either Steven Tyler or Axl Rose. Not even close.

Kris doesn't have near the upper register that Adam has (obviously), but I do think he's a better singer. Like I said, I don't know musical terms, but his voice seems to have more "body" to it. I don't mean that it has deeper tones or anything, just that there's more of it there. Adam, whether he's singing Mad World or Led Zeppelin, seems to have a razor sharp, one note, clear voice. Kris sounds like a human singing. I think they could probably both be successful, what with the platform that Idol provides.

If Kris took his career in a Jason Mraz type direction, though, I could see him making a lot of money.

Just hope and pray that he keeps his heart and eyes focused on his wife through all of this, and through what's to come.

Also, as a side note, I found the two "producer picked" songs to be annoying. Both of them just smacked of 60's-social-change-blah-blah-blah. Really gets under my skin.

:2cents:

I thought Adam was easily the most talented singer on AI.

But they kinda lost me when Kara referred to him as a "rock god." My objection is not theological - I just can't see him as a rocker. (Too theatrical.)

I didn't care enough to vote, but I would have voted for Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back