The New SBC President

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that the "Founders churches" tend to be all over the map on eschatology. The more "Reformed" ones in the sense of subscribing to the 1689 will tend to be amil. Others may be dispensational while others may be historic premil. It's possible that a handful of pastors may even be postmil, although this position is quite rare among Baptists today.

Remember that all that is required to be listed in the Founders directory is a desire to be listed and someone submitting the information. Subscription to the 1689 is not required on the part of individuals or churches. In some cases the pastor and his immediate family may be the only ones who know about the listing and who know about the pastor being a "Calvinist" etc. I'm pretty sure that's how it was with a church that was about 25 miles from where I used to live.

As someone on the outside looking in on this,

realizing the Southern Baptist denomination plays a large and important part in the body of Christ,

Can someone clarify whether the new president will set a tone:

1) more or less in the direction of Scripture
2) more or less in the direction of the (Reformed) doctrines
3) more or less in the direction of evangelism

I would say that the "Founders churches" tend to be all over the map on eschatology. The more "Reformed" ones in the sense of subscribing to the 1689 will tend to be amil. Others may be dispensational while others may be historic premil. It's possible that a handful of pastors may even be postmil, although this position is quite rare among Baptists today.

Remember that all that is required to be listed in the Founders directory is a desire to be listed and someone submitting the information. Subscription to the 1689 is not required on the part of individuals or churches. In some cases the pastor and his immediate family may be the only ones who know about the listing and who know about the pastor being a "Calvinist" etc. I'm pretty sure that's how it was with a church that was about 25 miles from where I used to live.

:agree:

As someone on the outside looking in on this,

realizing the Southern Baptist denomination plays a large and important part in the body of Christ,

Can someone clarify whether the new president will set a tone:

1) more or less in the direction of Scripture
2) more or less in the direction of the (Reformed) doctrines
3) more or less in the direction of evangelism

1) less, due to the whole "we changed the method but not the message" approach. The method should be scriptural as well as the message.

2) less, Johnny Hunt is not a fan of Calvinists

3) more emphasis, but only in regards to numbers. SBC numbers are way down.

Actually, to be listed with the Founders a church has to have, at a minimum, a pastor who agrees with one of 4 historic confessions listed there.

Actually, to be listed with the Founders a church has to have, at a minimum, a pastor who agrees with one of 4 historic confessions listed there.

That's true. They are the 1st and 2nd London Baptist Confessions, the New Hampshire Confession and the Abstract of Principles.

SBC numbers are way down.

Define "way down". What are the "numbers"?

Baptist Press - SBC baptisms: Lowest since '87 - News with a Christian Perspective

In terms of baptisms, and memberships to SBC churches.

Yes, the numbers are lower than in the past, but SBC churches baptize more people in a year than whole memberships of some denominations. Though that may not mean much either.

Numbers are numbers.

Apparently Johnny Hunt quoted A.W. Pink and some other Calvinists during one of his messages at the convention.

Johnny Hunt has said made some pretty vitriolic comments against Calvinists in the SBC, using typical straw-man arguments against us. Still, he has moderated his tone as he has sought the SBC presidency. As stated above, Frank Page wrote a book against Calvinism, though a silly little lightweight and easily-refuted book it is, but he dealt fairly with Calvinist Southern Baptists during his term, at least from my perspective.

Reading that someone heard that Capitol Hill BC is dispensational almost made me laugh. Some Founders-related churches do hold to a dispensational view of eschatology, but my suspicion is that they are in the minority. Dispensational eschatology among SBC churches in general, though, is doubtlessly, and unfortunately, the majority position.

Bill

Also, the new SBC President Johnny Hunt is hosting an anti-Calvinist conference at his church in November 2008, sponsored by Jerry Vines' ministry. What a great way to make friends and develop relationships with the Reformed Southern Baptist brothers in his starting days as the new president.

:lol: I think he did this last year as well.

Hey, don't worry! It says:

This conference is not going to be a "Let's bash the Calvinists" conference. This conference is going to be a biblical and theological assessment of and response to 5-point Calvinism. It will be helpful for lay people as well as preachers.

And, if you believe that, I have a herd of unicorns to sell you reeeeeal cheap! I'm also selling 10 acre parcels in the South Pole-Aitken basin of the moon. Despite what you may have heard, with the lowest evalations on the other side of the moon, it makes for an idea lake front property for PB retirees. And, with a raft of Logos pre-pubs waiting to be paid for, I'm selling the parcels at a bargain basement price today only. Hurry! Don't miss out on this grand opportunity to be among the first to settle on the moon. Don't let the Baptists get all of the best views! (Besides, don't tell them but you can't immerse on the moon anyway!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back