The Myths of Homeschooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Has anyone seen this blog series? I am curious what some thoughts are from the people here.

The Myths of Homeschooling #1

Myth #1: If you don't homeschool your kids, you're not a good parent

Myth #2: Homeschooling more actively involves parents in their children's educations

Myth #3: The educational methodology behind most homeschooling curriculum is superior to the methodology used in public schools

The Myths of Homeschooling #2

Myth #4: The ________________ method is by far the best way to homeschool kids

Myth #5: A parent is a child's best teacher

The Myths of Homeschooling #3

Myth #6: It is "more Christian" to homeschool

Myth #7: Homeschooling protects our children

Myth #8: Homeschooled children are smarter than their peers

The Myths of Homeschooling #4 (Conclusion)

Homeschooling is not for everyone

No one educational method reigns

Don't despise the basics

God is a God of grace

Education is not the path to salvation

Boy, addressing all these would be a reeaaally long reply. I'll take myth #2:

Myth #2: Homeschooling more actively involves parents in their children's educations

This is not a myth! No matter how involved a parent is in their children's public or private education, it is not the same as actively TEACHING their child 8+ hours a day. Plus the prep time before. By nature of the beast the parent plays a much more active part in their child's education, and has a hands on understanding how each child learns.

That said, I DO believe the statement under myth #4. "Homeschooling is not for everyone"

Homeschooling is certainly an 'ideal' in my opinion, but not for everyone.
Though it has great rewards for everyone, including the parent, it takes a lot of sacrifice and commitment : and if the parent does not have the time/energy/ability to not only prepare and teach the lessons, but plan activities (social and outreach, lifeskills, etc.) for their children, it will end up cheating everyone involved. :2cents:

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Myth #4: The beer method is by far the best way to homeschool kids

You left one blank... I filled it in for you Christopher.
:cool:

Did you mean this or this? :pilgrim:

The account books for the Percy family of Northumberland reveal that in 1512 the lord and lady shared a quart of beer and a quart of wine each day for breakfast. Their two children in the nursery, aged about 8 and 10, shared a quart of beer at breakfast.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
The account books for the Percy family of Northumberland reveal that in 1512 the lord and lady shared a quart of beer and a quart of wine each day for breakfast. Their two children in the nursery, aged about 8 and 10, shared a quart of beer at breakfast.

A part of this complete breakfast. It's magically delicious!

Beer was the Plymouth settlers' favorite beverage. Beer was their water.:pilgrim:

sorry for getting so off topic.

Originally posted by Plimoth Thom

Beer was the Plymouth settlers' favorite beverage. Beer was their water.:pilgrim:

sorry for getting so off topic.

Aye, I'll join you in the Puritan Pub for further discussion! :detective:

Where's a smiley shaking its head when you need one??

LOL, only on the PB could a homeschooling discussion turn into a beer discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back