The mentally handicapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bultitude

Puritan Board Freshman
Friends of mine have a preteen child who has always been nonverbal and has the cognition of about a two-year-old. Should communion be offered to people with that type of disability?

Friends of mine have a preteen child who has always been nonverbal and has the cognition of about a two-year-old. Should communion be offered to people with that type of disability?
Any elder who would vote to admit someone that meets that description to the table should be stripped of their ordination. I hope we aren't speaking of Presbyterians here, but of some denomination that has a defective, non-sacramental view of the Lord's Supper.

The "should they be admitted" question is about Presbyterians, and also about all other legitimate churches of God.

I assume the strong "no" answer comes from the requirement to examine oneself?

Well, since we're both PCA, Start with 57-2

"57-2. The time when young persons come to understand the Gospel cannot be precisely fixed. This must be left to the prudence of the Session, whose office it is to judge, after careful examination, the qualifications of those who apply for admission to sealing ordinances. "

I submit that a person with the mental capacity of a 2 year old cannot rationally be determined to have come to an understanding of the gospel.

A bit more leeway in 57-4, but still an issue:

"57-4. It is recommended, as edifying and proper, that baptized persons, when admitted by the Session to the Lord’s Supper, make a public profession of their faith in the presence of the congregation. But in all cases, there should be a clear recognition of their previous relation to the church as baptized members."

The next problem is 58-2

"The ignorant and scandalous are not to be admitted to the Lord's Supper"

A good rule of thumb: if they're not mentally fit to bag groceries at the grocery store, they're probably not mentally fit to partake in the Lord's Supper.

In these circumstances the person will always remain under the immediate care of his parents (and later a guardian) and as such should receive the benefits of being part of the visible church. The problems arise when a church sees a specific age at which all children should be "confirmed" or if they administer the elements as soon as one can swallow solid foods. Neither of these latter practices square with a confessional standard.

The "should they be admitted" question is about Presbyterians, and also about all other legitimate churches of God.

That and also it is to discern the Lord's body. The Lord's table is a very solemn time to reflect all that He has done for us. And I do not think the child in the OP is able to do any of this.

You would be surprised how many times eggs have been packed on top of bread and chips. Especially a pack larger than a dozen!
Trying to figure out where you all shop that folks still have baggers. I usually end up doing self checkout and bagging. If there is a checkout line open, the cashier has to do the bagging.

Trying to figure out where you all shop that folks still have baggers. I usually end up doing self checkout and bagging. If there is a checkout line open, the cashier has to do the bagging.
Sometimes they bag groceries for me at the market in Peru. That's about the only place any more. :doh:

Someone who cannot "consider the Lord's body" ought not to partake. But we ought not to grieve about this. The Lord's Supper is a sacrament to be used by God's people in order to strengthen their faith. It may very well be that in His grace, the Lord has given such a one a stronger faith than we in our "right mind" will ever experience on this earth. This would not surprise me in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back