"The Mentalist" Thread II *********Spoilers***************

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
Spoilers***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bertram...come on! Is there another twist coming? I admit I was way off this summer.

I don't think it's Bertram. I doubt both of the Visualize guys are dead, and I'm not convinced it was someone on the list. We'll see though.

If you caught the preview for the next episode and really slo-mo when Red John is walking towards Patrick, although we only see the back profile, he is bald and thin, so Bertram is out in my opinion.

I don't think it is Bertram or anyone on the list. My guess: Jane publicly I.D'd Bertram as Red John to make Bertram run and leave a bloody trail to follow to Red John himself.

Supposedly the show creator confirmed it is someone on the list. Ray Haffner makes the most sense to me, as he is the only one with both a law enforcement connection (former CBI, thus the ability to influence the Blake association group) and a Visualize connection (thus the ability to inspire such devotion in his followers). But that of course assumes he didn't actually die in the explosion.

Supposedly the show creator confirmed it is someone on the list. Ray Haffner makes the most sense to me, as he is the only one with both a law enforcement connection (former CBI, thus the ability to influence the Blake association group) and a Visualize connection (thus the ability to inspire such devotion in his followers). But that of course assumes he didn't actually die in the explosion.
Yeah. Possibly. Haffner could be RJ and had a "tiger tiger" person in the crime lab doctor up the DNA analysis of the crime scene.

Just an hour ago I explained to a friend the last three seasons of how the whole red john thing unfolded in minute detail, so I thought it was funny I saw thread surface again just now.

I watched it online the other night after reading the first few posts on the thread.

I think it is the black FBI agent from Texas. I noticed everyone did what he said and no one asked him to take off his shirt.

Wow!
So what say you about finding out Red John's identity?

I am incredibly disappointed by the episode. I didn't love their choice of character, but I loved even less how they constructed the episode. There was nothing to substantiate the pick, nothing connecting it to former clues, and really I thought the way they revealed who he was was uninteresting and uncompelling, nothing like the end of season 3, 4, or 5.

This guy deduced Red John's identity over a month ago. I thought it pretty interesting.
SPOILER* Red John Revealed! - YouTube

The thing is though in the episode it didn't connect it to any of that. It was like they flipped a coin. Which is basically what they did, because they didn't know who it would be until not that long ago apparently.

There should have been something that made us say, "Ahh, it was him, that makes sense," and I don't really think there was. There was nothing to link him to the red barn (and therefore to Visualize), nothing to show his smartness (or really anything to show PJ's either). You can tell I was rather disappointed in the episode. It seemed to me like the writers got incredibly lazy to come up with that, particularly when compared with the cleverness of the end of season 3.

How would they convince the public that Bertram is not RJ but McAllister is? Oh well. Hopefully they will not let the show flop and flail too long...like the X-Files.

Wow!
So what say you about finding out Red John's identity?

I am incredibly disappointed by the episode. I didn't love their choice of character, but I loved even less how they constructed the episode. There was nothing to substantiate the pick, nothing connecting it to former clues, and really I thought the way they revealed who he was was uninteresting and uncompelling, nothing like the end of season 3, 4, or 5.
Agreed. I watched it all last night. It was certainly lackluster. That noted, I'm glad the hunt for Red John is over, and look forward to seeing PJ at work again (if that's where they're goin' with it). Unless, that is, they're ending the series?

I assume you didn't see this week's episode

I'm a little different than some in that I enjoyed the RJ theme. I kind of wanted the show to end with him catching RJ. But I wanted it to be an epic mental showdown (let's not forget the title of the show), not a "hey, check out the pigeon in my pocket," kind of victory.

I think their plan is to continue on with more seasons. But frankly, after the pitiful RJ episode, and what was to me one of the boring episodes of anything I've ever seen (the one after RJ), I bet the show gets canceled anyway, unless next week it just is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back