The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
Has anyone read this book: The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship by Jeff Meyers, a PCA pastor in St. Louis? It has some pretty impressive reviews on Amazon.

As Jeff is one of the proponents of the FV (Mark Horne is his associate pastor) and advocate of PPT, one wants to be a little cautious about what might be might be inside the Trojan Horse.

This doesn't mean that there is not useful material in the book, but caveat lector.

rsc

Originally posted by Ivan
Has anyone read this book: The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship by Jeff Meyers, a PCA pastor in St. Louis? It has some pretty impressive reviews on Amazon.

Originally posted by R. Scott Clark
As Jeff is one of the proponents of the FV (Mark Horne is his associate pastor) and advocate of PPT, one wants to be a little cautious about what might be might be inside the Trojan Horse.

This doesn't mean that there is not useful material in the book, but caveat lector.
rsc

My pastor has recommended this book (while noting cautions due to the bent of the author) as a good book on covenant renewal worship. In essence, he has stated that covenant renewal as a whole is exactly what he learned in seminary at Mid-America Reformed Seminary . I have not read the book, but as one who is beginning to understand the principle (although anti-FV), I would like to read it.

Is there any other recommendations for an understanding of covenant renewal worship?

Originally posted by R. Scott Clark

rsc

Oh my! Thank you, Dr. Clark. Duly warned. I've read up a bit on FV and it's not to my liking at all. Perhaps there is another book that would fit the bill better.

After duly warned, I ordered the book today. I'm sure I'll have questions. I also orderd "Worldly Saints" by Leland Ryken.

Meyers gets a bit of space in the forthcoming, DV, part two of the sixty year survey of RPW (and antiRPW) literature that will hopefully run in the 2007 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian. Part one in the 2006 issue, some 50,000 words on literature published from 1946-1999, has received some very nice compliments. The text may change but presently Dr. Smith opens his comments on Meyers' book with:
A pastor in the Presbyterian Church in America in St. Louis, Missouri, Jeffrey J. Meyers has been involved in what he and others call "œliturgical renewal." In 2003, his substantial book (448 pages), The Lord´s Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship, was published by Canon Press.
As the title implies, the book represents a continuation of the James Jordan school of thought with respect to worship. However, this volume argues the case more substantively and with greater academic care than other attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back