The Law is NOT the Covenant of Works

Discussion in 'The Law of God' started by Justified, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justified

Justified Puritan Board Sophomore

From Complete Works of Thomas Boston, Volume 11 A View of the Covenant of Works, pg. 192
    Emphasis mine.

2. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

Better for the thread's title to read "The Natural Law Incorporated into the Covenant of Works", no? ;)

3. Justified

Probably, but I thought that this would be a more provocative, polemical title! ;)

4. TheOldCourse

TheOldCourse Puritan Board Sophomore

Polemical against who? Do people actually argue the total equivalence of the Law and the Covenant of Works? I'm not sure I've seen that though I don't really keep abreast of a lot of the contemporary covenant revisionism.

5. Justified

Some Klineans. They believe that man by his very creation in the image of God is in a covenant of works. While it is partially polemical, my Klinean brothers are still dear brothers and sisters in Christ.

6. TheOldCourse

TheOldCourse Puritan Board Sophomore

Oh right, I remember coming across that now that you mention it--it's been a long time since I've read any Kline. Wouldn't they still see a categorical distinction between the moral law and the covenant of works even if they don't see a temporal distinction in that the law requires cursings and blessings to be annexed to it to comprise a covenant? Or are those things so intrinsically connected in their eyes that one cannot be abstracted from the other?

7. Justified

You're right. Most of them still recognize a distinction between the two, such that most, like Scott Clark, still recognize the normative use of the law. Nevertheless, their close association of the two lead to errors in the law-gospel distinction and their overall view of the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.