The KJV and what it means to be a man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't take the Bible seriously. He takes himself seriously.

Exactly. If the opposite were to be true, we would find him putting a little more time into the serious study of interpretation, and in developing Christ-centered messages rather than easily thrown out harangues.

In all seriousness, sitting under preaching like that for any duration of time is a detriment to the Christian's health, and should not be encouraged.

I didn't suggest anyone should sit under his ministry; his obvious faults are still faults, and serious ones at that; although the sad fact is that these kinds of indiosyncratic interpretations abound in the modern Christian world, and that in both liberal and fundie churches. I suppose because he happened to maintain the AV that made him more of a target. But the fact remains he takes seriously the belief in the Bible as the word of God, and that is an advantage he has over a great majority today. I certainly reject the idea that mere man can see inside the hearts of others and judge their attachment to the BIble to be nothing more than self-devotion. 1 Corinthians 4:5.

Idiosyncratic is one thing, but reading his position papers on numerous subjects makes me worry about his flock. There is a serious distortion of the Word of God (regardless of the translation) afoot in his ministry. That he proclaims his belligerent sectarianisms with perfect assurance only makes it worse. Having opinions on the "perverted minds" of male gynecologists, the "dangers" of Calvinism, that the only mention of "college" in the Bible is in connection with a female preacher, etc. is his perfect right. However, it is not the Gospel.

Have you noticed that the liberals lose the Gospel in the good works of social justice, the fundys drown it in legalism, and my tribe (broad evangelicals) translates it into therapy and trite moralisms (e.g., "three ways to deal with depression," "five things a wife wants from her husband," or "being like a David in confronting the Goliaths in your life"?) Yikes!

I could (albeit with a great deal of nose holding and swallowing hard) endure ANY translation of the Bible if the preacher understood and proclaimed the Gospel.

Idiosyncratic is one thing, but reading his position papers on numerous subjects makes me worry about his flock.

Regrettably, Dennis, you will see the like in modern reformed churches on questions relative to education, work, health, modesty, and the like. You've probably already witnessed a few on PB. To me it demonstrates at least a zeal to take the absolutist morality of the Bible seriously, even if it also displays a certain degree of ignorance. I like to think that if a man is at least willing to open the Bible to discuss such things then there is hope. This of course does not excuse his obvious faults nor recommend his ministry. I guess I'm just somewhat bemused as to why this particular fellow should come in for a serve, when there are thousands like him over the internet. Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back