The kind of affliction decreed by God (John Brown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
Our thoughts be troubled at the kind of the Cross or Affliction, which is upon us; so as we are ready to say, had the Lord sent any other rod or affliction upon us, than this, wherewith we are exercised, we could better have born it, Had he visi∣ted me (will one say) with Poverty, and not with Disgrace, I could have born it: and another, had my affliction been any other, than just what it is, I could have comported with it; but the consideration of this, that God hath decreed, that that, even that same crosse, should be thy cross, and no other, will make the Soul sit down and say, seing the Lord hath from all eternity appointed and shapen-out this, even this, and none else for me, I must bear it, and sub∣mit to his will, who is wiser, than I am, and seeth further than I do, and knoweth what is good and best for me, better than I my self do, His holy will be done. This is a grief, andI must bear it, saith Jeremiah 10:19.

John Brown, The life of faith in times of trial and affliction cleared up and explained from Hebrews X:XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back