The Kairos Moment ? for Reformed Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Puritan Board Junior
An excerpt from this heartily encouraging essay by Dr. Kim Riddlebarger: "Why I Think it's a Great time to be a Reformed Christian"

..." as a Reformed Christian, I am fully aware that our distinctive doctrines of God´s sovereignty in salvation, our stress upon the doctrine of total depravity, our emphasis upon word and sacrament, along with our belief that the Lordship of Christ extends to all areas of life, will prevent our viewpoint from ever being the majority report within the Christian church. It is naive to think that all of a sudden, huge numbers of professing Christians will leave their non-Reformed churches and suddenly come to ours. And barring a dramatic work of the Holy Spirit, we should not expect huge numbers of non-Christians to suddenly awaken to the truths of the Christian faith. In an age of spirituality, ecumenism, and indifference to matters of sin and grace, many churches choose to respond by offering a diet of "œchurch lite," as the hard teachings which characterize so much of biblical and Reformed Christianity will remain an offence to the vast majority of our contemporaries. Despite all of this, I remain optimistic. Why? ...."

Read the entire essay at Kim Riddlebarger's Blog:

http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/theological-essays/

Then click onto the first downloadable, theological essay (word doc) "A Kairos Moment?"

The article is applicable to so much of the real Christian life: family, ethics as well as culture and evangelizing. The optimism goes waaaay beyond eschatology, btw.

BE EDIFIED!!

Robin :book2:

Very timely while we watch the Protestant church revert back to Roman Catholicism ala Auburn Avenue.

While I appreciate Riddlebarger's ministry, what grates the most on me is his questionable identification of "Reformed Eschatology" == "Amillennial Eschatology".

But he's a Yankees fans, so I cut him some slack.

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
While I appreciate Riddlebarger's ministry, what grates the most on me is his questionable identification of "Reformed Eschatology" == "Amillennial Eschatology".

Hey Tom....live on the edge...why not ask Kim about Amillennialism being the predominant Reformed eschatology?

There are good reasons folks come to that conclusion. (Giving it the benefit of the doubt can rock your world!) Kim was raised a dispie and even taught it --- it took some years for him to get over the "mad." Anger can be a good thing when it drives someone to find the truth.

That "grating" could be a good thing, too! :)

blessings,

r.

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by Robin]

Originally posted by Robin
Originally posted by tcalbrecht

Hey Tom....live on the edge...why not ask Kim about Amillennialism being the predominant Reformed eschatology?

There are good reasons folks come to that conclusion. (Giving it the benefit of the doubt can rock your world!) Kim was raised a dispie and even taught it --- it took some years for him to get over the "mad." Anger can be a good thing when it drives someone to find the truth.

That "grating" could be a good thing, too! :)

blessings,

r.

[Edited on 1-7-2006 by Robin]

What. pray tell, is there to ask? If he were to affirm that reformed eschatology is non-dispensational eschatology, then he would be confessionally on solid ground (assuming reformed confessions are more than just the Belgic Confession).

But it seems at bit of continental arrogance to affirm amil is reformed eschatology. Just my two cents as a presbyterian of the puritan strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back