The idolatry "to set lights before" idols

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
In the below on first glance it seems that James Durham in a digression on the idolatry of the Church of Rome is listing examples from Scripture and I supplied an example on "sacrifice and burn incense" which he does not give (and the Judges 17 passage is mainly about appointing one's own priests). I can only find a reference in the express words of "to set lights before them" as in reference to RC practice. Anyone have any scripture come to mind that this was a common practice in Scripture. I could not find any. So my conclusion so far is the list was not an exclusively Scripture example list, especially since he is dealing the RC in the article. Thoughts? Contrary to expectation it is a rare phrase and outside of Durham I traced an earlier use to Hooper on the second commandment.
2. We call that religious worship, which idolaters use to give to their supposed gods, such as to kiss an image (Hosea 13:2), to sacrifice and burn incense to them [e.g., 1 Kings 11:8], set lights before them,[1] and appoint priests for them (Judges 17), and of this sort was that idolatry of offering sacrifices to Paul and Barnabus (Acts 14[:13]); for these things have ever been counted religious by men, and given to idols upon that account, neither ever has it been or can it be given to images upon another account.​

[1] This is probably a more direct reference to Roman Catholic idolatry. “To serve them is to do somewhat for their sakes, as to cense them with incense, to gild, to run on pilgrimage to them, to kneel or pray before them, to be more affectionate to one than to the other, to set lights before them, with such-like superstition and idolatry.” “A Declaration of the Ten Holy Commandments of Almighty God,” in Early Writings of John Hooper (Cambridge: for the Parker Society, 1843), p. 317.​

Today this is called a "votive candle", and setting them before images at prominent shrines, cathedrals, and pilgrimage sites is quite common.

I’ve seen the lighting of votive candles in movies. Can someone explain the purpose? Is it supposed to enhance the chances of answered prayer? I know money is involved. Another question, what is the purpose of a sanctuary light, or eternal light? I saw one once in a UCC church which called itself reformed. Is this still a common thing in reformed churches?

I’ve seen the lighting of votive candles in movies. Can someone explain the purpose? Is it supposed to enhance the chances of answered prayer? I know money is involved. Another question, what is the purpose of a sanctuary light, or eternal light? I saw one once in a UCC church which called itself reformed. Is this still a common thing in reformed churches?
In occult practice candles provide "light in darkness." They are symbolic of the uninitiated seeking wisdom or favour, those who lack a close personal relationship with deity seek Him in the darkness. In Roman, Anglican and Lutheran practice they reference a memory or prayer offered before God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back