The Human Condition, Grace and Orthodoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abd_Yesua_alMasih

Puritan Board Junior
This should be the right topic to put this thread under. Theology sounds about right even if this doesnt become a discussion it is still talking about orthodox theology.

I decided yesterday to write the following. I am not actually too sure what for yet but I will soon think of something :bigsmile: I was wondering if some of you - if you had the time - could read through it and check it for theological orthodoxy and make sure that by some slip of the tongue or by human folly I have not inserted heresy into it somewhere. There shouldnt be spelling or grammar problems but if you do notice them it would be good to point them out. Oh... wait Americans might find problems as it is British English which I write in - I do not know how much it stands out for you.

Also suggestions would be good on what areas I could expand on, what areas I do not need etc... are there any other little points I have missed out? etc... unfortunatly my heavy work load at the moment means I am working on such projects as these late into the night and I am not sure either if my thoughts flow on logicly. I have read it in the daytime and it made sense to me but I know what I meant behind the text so it doesnt really count.

Now I have written this introduction I think after a lot of editing I will get my friends to read this - possibly even my young adult leaders at my church.

Thanks for your time if you do read it and thanks also for those who saw my name and still opened the thread ;)

THE HUMAN CONDITION I

"œBut we are all as an unclean thing,
And all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
And we all do fade as a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."
Isaiah 64:6

Humanity has fallen from its created state and now is in a state of ruin. Even without a bible in hand all one must do is look at the world around us to see people hurt and suffering because of the actions of other people. Look at the school shootings in America, international terrorism, the amount of suicides and even the very need for courts of law. Through the fall of Adam in the Book of Genesis all men and women have been corrupted with impurity and have become filthy in the sight of God (Romans 5:12). It is hard to think of the place God set Adam within creation without also thinking of how far we as humans have been caste down from that place. In the light of these events humanity has little to boast about if anything at all. We lost all dignity we ever owned when Adam, our earthly father, in all his wisdom ate the fruit in the Garden of Eden.

When God created the Garden of Eden he placed in it the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:9). He then commanded Adam and Eve, as a test of their submission to him, that they should not eat from this tree but were free to eat from everything else (Genesis 2:16-17). When the serpent came to test Adam and Eve and to deceive them it said in Genesis 3:5, "œfor God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." The serpent flattered the first humans with its words and swelled up pride within them saying they would be like gods. This same pride is still evident today and it is human desire to be like gods which stops us from repenting and facing that which we have done. It was pride which caused the fall and pride which sinks us lower in our depravity.

Lack of faith in the word of God also contributed to the fall as if Adam had not doubted Gods commands then he would not have dwelt upon the serpents winning words. If he had not dwelt upon the serpents words in turn he would not have swelled with pride. How many times today in this world do we see people doubting the word of God and so then falling to temptation? Humanity is in such a bad state it is unable to lift itself from the dust into which it has fallen.

Many people turn around and say then that God is the creator of sin and so is then to blame for the human condition of today. These people like to shift the blame from themselves to another for it was in Adams fall that we have become sinners (Romans 5:12). While God might be the ruler of the universe by his almighty providence it by no means results in us humans being guiltless for our iniquity. We alone are responsible for our actions and our transgressions are mere manifestations of our sinful minds. No matter how people try to twist the story in the end it was Adam who ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The very concept of original sin and the idea that humanity is depraved by nature is repulsive to people in this day and age. We like to flatter ourselves with our achievements and point to what humanity has achieved over the last century in the fields of science and medicine. While these are impressive leaps forward they only serve as a distraction to the truth. If we all examined ourselves we would find even the greatest of us have fallen into temptation. If we search even further, though we might not admit what we did was wrong, we find even our earliest memories often involve sin. Psalm 51:5 says,
"œBehold, I was shapen in iniquity;
And in sin did my mother conceive me."
If a person boasts that they are perfect it is generally considered still by today´s society that they are arrogant and wrong. In the light of the gospels such a statement sounds a thousand times more foolish. Has anyone never felt jealous, angry without cause or boastful of their merits? Who can stand up and say they have never sinned?

Fundamentally there is nothing man can do to please God as all our works are imperfect. Can a student write a perfect assignment or authors write a perfect book? Are not even the words we speak imperfect as they flow from our mouths? Even a person with articulate speech and a clear tongue must make use of a worldly language to express their thoughts. Matthew 7:17-18 illustrates that a person in a fallen state can do no good or perfect work.
"œEven so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."
We produce in accordance with our state so that an unregenerate person can do no good in the eyes of God. The Bible goes on even further to say that a person still tangled in the flesh can give no pleasure to God. Romans 8:8 states, "œSo then they that are in the flesh cannot please God."

We humans in our prideful natural state are not only unable to please God but also unable to find him. Jesus in the Matthew 13:14 says,
"œAnd in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive."
If we were to read on further we would find the reason for this inner blindness to be the unwillingness to find the truth and convert. We humans are proud of our ways and do not like correction. By our very nature we flee from that which challenges us and even more so from a message like that of Jesus´ which says, "œRepent and follow me."

Not only do men and women blind themselves with inner pride so as not to understand the truth but they also are spiritually blind by nature. 1 Corinthians 2:14 says,
"œBut the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolish unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
Humans by our depraved nature have been cut out of fellowship with God and our flesh has filled the gap where once the Spirit worked. It is astounding to think that the Creator of Heaven and the Author of Life, who created the universe in all his holiness stooped down and entered into a relationship with Adam and Eve, making his will known to them. If this is amazing by itself then depraved humans have no right to demand God gives them spiritual discernment for they ask this in pride and with humanistic ideals.

Humanity is falling down the slippery slope into the lake of fire. As humans we try and create for ourselves ways off this slope but the effects are temporary and they always fail. There is hope though and God has provided a way for us to be taken off this slide to death and be redeemed in the blood of his covenant. Once more humanity can enter into fellowship with Him; the creator of heaven and earth. Today we give little thought to it but how great it is that God in all his splendour has decided to create a covenant with mankind to save us from the mire which we were born into. This is great news indeed for all humanity yet is scoffed at by the unregenerate souls of the lost.

GRACE II

"œ[God] who hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." 2 Timothy 1:9

The first covenant God made with mankind was a covenant of works whereby a person had to do good before they could receive. Everything became conditional on the obedience of a person. As far back as the Garden of Eden evidence of such a doctrine exists when in Genesis 2:17b God says, "œ"¦for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." We learn here that Adam´s life was conditional upon him refraining from doing a certain action. Again we find in Exodus 20:12, "œHonour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee." Here we find another covenant of works whereby the Israelites had to honour their parents or else they would no longer live in the land given to them. Even more chilling is the statement in Romans 6:23a, "œFor the wages of sin is death"¦" In Old Testament times when someone transgressed the laws of God they had to come before the priest with a sin offering. This was often, except for the poorest of people, a live sacrifice such as a lamb or a calf. These animals had to be without blemish and for the forgiveness of sins they died in the place of the human who bought them.

Rejoice for hope still remains! Romans 6:23 does not just say, "œFor the wages of sin is death"¦" but goes on to say, "œ"¦but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." God sent his blessed Son to be a sin offering for all those who call upon his name, repent of their sins and take on his yoke which is light (Matthew 11:29).The words of John in John 1:29b resound in such a moment as this, "œBehold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." There hardly seems to be any better words to describe Jesus´ ministry on earth. If the blood of a lamb could make atonement for the sins of a mere farmer how much more so shall the blood of the Lamb of God. The price has already been paid!

Now humanities concern should be how this grace is found. It would be useless telling the world that Christ died for the forgiveness of sin without telling them the practical results of such an event.

As seen earlier the human condition is blind to the truth and unable to help itself. It is incomprehensible then that humans could find the truth themselves without the guiding hand of their creator. If this was not the case then Christ died in vain as humanity would not be depraved and it would hold the ability to save itself. However Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "œFor by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast." We learn from the text that we are saved by grace which we receive through faith. This faith is not the product of our unregenerate mind but rather a gift of God. A person can not believe without God so desiring it and giving them the gift of belief. In the Gospel of John Jesus says, "œNo man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him at the last day." (John 6:44) Among many other such references to God choosing his elect is Romans 8:29 which says, "œFor whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." Other verses of key interest are: Matthew 24:22, Matthew 24:31, Mark 13:27, Romans 8:30, Romans 9:11, Romans 11:28, Ephesians 1:5, Ephesians 1:11, 2 Timothy 2:10, Titus 1:1, 1 Peter 1:1 and 2 Peter 1:10.

It may then be quiet rightly asked by a person whether they are within this new covenant and saved by the grace of God. Firstly one must ask themselves whether or not they believe in Christ Jesus and the sacrifice which he made. Secondly one must not only believe, as even Satan can do that, but they must also accept Gods plan for removing their sin. Thirdly one must come to terms with their own depravity and sinful nature and wish that this could be taken from them. (Mark 1:15, Mark 16:16, Luke 1:45, Luke 13:3 Luke 24:47, John 1:12, John 3:16, John 14:6)
Last of all a person who has been regenerated by the healing power of God´s Spirit can be known by the fruit which they grow. This does not mean a new Christian becomes perfect upon their conversion but that they shall live a life in keeping with the grace given to them (Acts 26:20). If God has offered his gift of saving faith to a person then these things shall come to pass. May all those that have entered into the new covenant, in accordance with scripture, rejoice for they can be sure of their salvation.

The final piece of good news on the topic of grace is this: the Lord delights in the elect. We learnt earlier that those still living in the depravity of their flesh can not please God but the good news is that the regenerate can. In Romans 8:9a it says, "œBut ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit"¦" God rejoices over the souls of the elect which he has saved from their folly.
"œThe Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)
:book2:

Fraser

[Edited on 21-10-2004 by Abd_Yesua_alMasih]

I thought it was well written. There are a lot of ways to say the same old gospel message. Some are more "elementary" than this one; probably there are others that are aimed at a "higher" audience. If you write a lot, you will likely do other essays or tracts with specific goals in mind for each one.

Blessings,

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
I thought it was well written. There are a lot of ways to say the same old gospel message. Some are more "elementary" than this one; probably there are others that are aimed at a "higher" audience. If you write a lot, you will likely do other essays or tracts with specific goals in mind for each one.

Blessings,
Thanks, I have been thinking about it after a long nights sleep. I certainly shows I didnt really have a goal so I will probably have to do some editing to have a clear point to make *thinks what point could be*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back