The Homeschool Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was quite funny but I don't know about this line: "we never go to Hooters" ?! :wow:

Thanks for the laugh! That was priceless! We've had recess in the foyer a few times !!!

That was quite funny but I don't know about this line: "we never go to Hooters" ?! :wow:

Are you suggesting that homeschool families DO go to Hooters?

I thought it was strange that they would mention a place that is associated with flagrant violations of the seventh commandment. I guess I don't think that is should be spoken of so flippantly.

Who takes their kids to Hooters, anyway? My guess is that the name rhymed, it was funny, it made it into the song. I've never personally been there, so I don't exactly know the atmosphere, but I am guessing it is not a place for kids in any case...

Who takes their kids to Hooters, anyway? My guess is that the name rhymed, it was funny, it made it into the song. I've never personally been there, so I don't exactly know the atmosphere, but I am guessing it is not a place for kids in any case...

I hear they have great wings, which is why they showed them eating chicken wings when they said the line. I've never been there either, but have seen enough in the commercials to know that it is not a place that is honoring to God. I don't see any problem with the humor of the line in the song.

They have TV commercials for places like that? On regular TV? Wow, we've obviously been out of the country a loooong time. :scratch:

I've never been to Hooters but apparently they serve hot wings and are dedicated to bringing the 'gospel' to the marketplace.

Enjoy Wings, Bible Study at Hooter's
Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

We'll furnish the hot wings. You just show up, says the Rev. Tom Sharron.

Beginning Thursday, Destin United Methodist Church will offer "Hot Wings Bible Study" at the Hooter's Restaurant in Destin, an establishment known across the country for its scantily clad waitresses and hot wings.

"It's a study for people who haven't studied the Bible a whole lot. It will be beginner's style," said Sharron, the assistant pastor at the Methodist church one of bringing the gospel Destin's largest, to the marketplace.

Knowledge of a similar program at a Hooter's franchise in Montgomery inspired Senior Pastor Ken Taylor to offer the service to Destin.

"The idea is to take the gospel to the marketplace, where the people are," Taylor said.

He recently approached Hooter's owner Stewart Houston, a fellow Rotarian and member of Destin United Methodist Church, with the idea. It was pleasantly received.

"We've been a member of the community for about 14 years now," Houston said. "So anytime someone from the community approaches us and asks us to help with something, we're always happy to do what we can."

The Bible studies will begin at 11 a.m. each Thursday on the outdoor deck at Hooters, weather permitting. Everyone is welcome to attend, and wings will be served.

Taylor will lead the first study.

This is just one of the many outreach services Destin United Methodist Church has planned as it "takes the gospel to the marketplace." Taylor plans to expand and soon offer regular Bible studies on a Destin fishing boat.

"It's for the fishermen who work all day and can't come to church on Sundays," he said.

As the program expands, another dream of Taylor's is to one day launch a pontoon barge at Crab Island for conducting Bible services.

:worms: <--------- Here is a picture of several of the church members meeting in a Hooters.

I love it! Even a better hope for this nation than Ron Paul.

I am trying to teach my children how to make home video's right now and I think I will steal this idea for our first home video.

The best part of the video was when that one kid got socked in the face by the ball. Now THAT'S funny.

Wow, that Ken Taylor feller sure is missional. And relevant. And non-conformist. And authentic. And culturally aware. And engaging in dialogue about God. And the kinda guy who won't fall when he stands in the slippery places.

Does he know he's an emergent poster-boy?

For all that, I did enjoy the video - looks like quite a family.

I've never been to Hooters but apparently they serve hot wings and are dedicated to bringing the 'gospel' to the marketplace.

Enjoy Wings, Bible Study at Hooter's
Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

We'll furnish the hot wings. You just show up, says the Rev. Tom Sharron.

Beginning Thursday, Destin United Methodist Church will offer "Hot Wings Bible Study" at the Hooter's Restaurant in Destin, an establishment known across the country for its scantily clad waitresses and hot wings.

"It's a study for people who haven't studied the Bible a whole lot. It will be beginner's style," said Sharron, the assistant pastor at the Methodist church one of bringing the gospel Destin's largest, to the marketplace.

Knowledge of a similar program at a Hooter's franchise in Montgomery inspired Senior Pastor Ken Taylor to offer the service to Destin.

"The idea is to take the gospel to the marketplace, where the people are," Taylor said.

He recently approached Hooter's owner Stewart Houston, a fellow Rotarian and member of Destin United Methodist Church, with the idea. It was pleasantly received.

"We've been a member of the community for about 14 years now," Houston said. "So anytime someone from the community approaches us and asks us to help with something, we're always happy to do what we can."

The Bible studies will begin at 11 a.m. each Thursday on the outdoor deck at Hooters, weather permitting. Everyone is welcome to attend, and wings will be served.

Taylor will lead the first study.

This is just one of the many outreach services Destin United Methodist Church has planned as it "takes the gospel to the marketplace." Taylor plans to expand and soon offer regular Bible studies on a Destin fishing boat.

"It's for the fishermen who work all day and can't come to church on Sundays," he said.

As the program expands, another dream of Taylor's is to one day launch a pontoon barge at Crab Island for conducting Bible services.

:worms: <--------- Here is a picture of several of the church members meeting in a Hooters.

Bob,

Why did you post this in "The Homeschool Family"? Just wondering... :D

Because of the allusions to the restaurant in posts #7, 12 through 15, and 17. So I don't think it was :offtopic: but I certainly didn't want to misdirect attention from the video.

I thought the video was very well done but it was a little 'hookey.'

Bob,

Because of the allusions to the restaurant in posts #7, 12 through 15, and 17. So I don't think it was :offtopic: but I certainly didn't want to misdirect attention from the video.

Bob,

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't read all of the posts closely enough.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that you were being purposefully off-topic. I thought that you had just assumed you were creating a new post when you were actually replying to this one.

What, exactly, does "hookey" mean?

Ooooops! Sorry Pastor Doug, I meant to say 'ooky'.

The Addams Family

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum
Where people come to see 'em
They really are a scream
The Addams Family.

(Neat)
(Sweet)
(Petite)

So get a witches shawl on
A broomstick you can crawl on
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.

They recently added this bit of information to the video clip:

"Oh, the misconceptions and realities of homeschool life," from comedian (and homeschool dad) Tim Hawkins. Tim plays the dad in the video and his wife, Heather, plays the mom. Half of the kids are theirs – the rest are friends. To see this and other comedy videos from Tim Hawkins, go to: Tim Hawkins Comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back