The Gospel at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
So lately I've been thinking, and I want everyone in my life to have heard the Gospel from me. But how can I do this at my work place? Should I wait for opportunities or should I be the one to boldly ask if I can share it? I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble.

Thanks!

Show it through you words and actions, not by preaching at your co-workers. Unless you are on a church staff, you are being paid to do other tasks for your employer. Spending your time doing something of a personal nature isn't the best witness.

I've worked with a couple of guys that kept a Bible in their bookcase or on their desk. Folks who work with you will eventually raise the issues on their own.

Show it through you words and actions, not by preaching at your co-workers. Unless you are on a church staff, you are being paid to do other tasks for your employer. Spending your time doing something of a personal nature isn't the best witness.

I've worked with a couple of guys that kept a Bible in their bookcase or on their desk. Folks who work with you will eventually raise the issues on their own.

You know what is amazing that I have realized lately? I have been in the middle of random conversations at work with others managers, where they talk about how a Christian's words mean nothing to them unless they are living what they teach. It is astonishing to hear unbelievers say that they don't want to hear what a Christian has to say about the Bible unless they are an example themselves of what that should be. I think this is beautiful and they are right on.

How we live truly does matter, even if we aren't proclaiming the Gospel to people. In a very real sense, if someone knows I am a Christian, it is going to be my life that is going to be the most important factor when they judge whether or not they want to know about my faith.

Lloyd-Jones wrote this on being salt and light:

"We should consider also the order in which these statements are made. The first thing our Lord said of us was, "Ye are the salt of the earth"; and it is only after this that He says, "Ye are the light of the world". Why does He put it in that order instead of the reverse? This is a very interesting and important practical point. The first effect of the Christian on the world is a general one; in other words, it is more or less negative. Here is a man who has become a Christian; he lives in society, in his office or workshop. Because he is a Christian he immediately has a certain effect, a controlling effect, which we considered together earlier. It is only after that, that he has this specific and particular function of acting as light. In other words Scripture, in dealing with the Christian, always emphasizes first what he is, before it begins to speak of what he does. As a Christian, I should always have this general effect upon men before I have this specific effect. Wherever I may find myself, immediately that "something different" about me should have its effect; and that in turn ought to lead men and women to look at me and to say, "There is something unusual about that man." Then, as they watch my conduct and behaviour, they begin to ask me questions. Here, the element of "light" comes out; I am able to speak and to teach them. Far too often we Christians tend to reverse the order. We have spoken in a very enlightened manner, but we have not always lived as the salt of the earth. Whether we like it or not, our lives should always be the first thing to speak; and if our lips speak more than our lives it will avail very little. So often the tragedy has been that people proclaim the gospel in words, but their whole life and demeanour has been a denial of it. The world does not pay much attention to them. Let us never forget this order deliberately chosen by our Lord."

It isn't nearly as easy as coming up with a plan for what to say about Jesus and when to say it, but here's the answer:

Learn empathy. Learn to really care about your co-workers. Spend significant time before or after work praying for them, until you come to care about them deeply. When you actually care like that, the way Christ cared for people, they will be able to tell and you will be compelled to get to know them better. Then the rest will happen naturally.

I'm reminded of a story told by a group from a church I once attended. They went out to participate in an "evangelism project," led by a seminary professor (whose name some here would recognize). They hired a bus to take them all into the city, and when they got to their spot they got out and started to set up. But where was their leader? They couldn't find him.

They finally located him on the bus. He was evangelizing the driver.

The difference between them and him was that they saw sharing their faith as a project, but he saw people. This professor was an excellent personal evangelist because God had taught him to notice people and care about them. Because of that, he always seemed to find opportunities where others saw none.

I've been listening to sermons by MLJ quite a bit the past week. One thing I get is that people have to hear the bad news to appreciate the good news. When I was 18 or so, a vagabond hippie fully absorbed in the hedonism of the late '60s, a street evangelist accosted me and told me the good news.
I was not impressed. I didn't believe in God, didn't understand the significance of the atonement, since I had no knowledge of the sacrificial system of the Hebrews, and as MLJ would put it, "I didn't need this Jesus."
Twenty years later, studying the Bible to prove to myself it was invalid, in Romans 1 I read the bad news, and the Holy Spirit revealed to me that it was the truth. It was then I knew I needed a Saviour. I agree wholeheartedly with Jack above, but eventually the bad news of hell and eternal damnation has to be understood before the Gospel is appreciated. In my experience anyway.

In my experience, since the world at large is ignorant of truth, revealing truth to them will always result in conviction; in this age, creating conviction in a person in the workplace can be considered an ethics issue and you could find yourself on the carpet in HR.

MY suggestion, as has been said, is to reveal portions of the gospel in your life, serving, mercies, etc. Build a lasting friendship with the person on typical grounds. If a person knows you, and you have invited them into your life, apart from sharing your faith, they will know u care. In time, you will have the opportunity eventually to share truth and exhibit a gospel caring, which is at the epicenter of why you truly care for the person; spiritually, as well as personally.

Not sure how helpful my response will be but, I'll give it a try

You've probably heard this saying before:

"You May be the only Bible some people read. You may be the only Jesus some people see."

I've sort of taken these words and tried to apply these to my life, pretty much in every aspect. Words are just words, but actions speak so much louder. Kind of like if you tell someone you love them, and then go and treat them in the most disrespectful way. If your actions don't back up your words, what's left?

I believe that how we carry ourselves speaks volumes of our relationship with the Lord. Since we are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and are no longer called to live for ourselves but for His kingdom, we have to be truly living out the Gospel not just preaching it.

Having pure motives, not manipulative, not boastful, but simply behaving as the Lord would want you to do, with sincerity and a desire to serve Him and make a difference to others is what I believe others notice.

Oh, and I am definitely not saying DON'T share it. But, who knows maybe in on these situations, the Lord will provide you a way to share the Gospel in a very natural way.

You know what is amazing that I have realized lately? I have been in the middle of random conversations at work with others managers, where they talk about how a Christian's words mean nothing to them unless they are living what they teach. It is astonishing to hear unbelievers say that they don't want to hear what a Christian has to say about the Bible unless they are an example themselves of what that should be. I think this is beautiful and they are right on.

How we live truly does matter, even if we aren't proclaiming the Gospel to people. In a very real sense, if someone knows I am a Christian, it is going to be my life that is going to be the most important factor when they judge whether or not they want to know about my faith.

Titus 2:10 tells us that our life adorns our doctrine; not the other way around. So: it's our LIFE that makes our doctrine beautiful. I think the best you can do brother is pray intentionally, every day, for opportunities to share the gospel. When God gives them, take them, in the most humble and gentle way possible. Until He does, make it your #1 priority to live out what your doctrine says.

I can testify that a season of patient Christian diligence and faithfulness, combined with personal warmth and friendliness, has created reception to at least hearing out the Gospel where otherwise it would not have happened. A warm and good testimony is indispensable, especially if people know of "believers" who say one thing and do another. One way or another, this life or the next, they will see your good works and glorify our Father in heaven.

So lately I've been thinking, and I want everyone in my life to have heard the Gospel from me. But how can I do this at my work place? Should I wait for opportunities or should I be the one to boldly ask if I can share it? I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble.

Thanks!
I have my devotional Bible at work, and read it during lunch and breaks, and also bring up quick conversations with others here, so look at it as planting seed at work, as company does not want me to go full bore preaching mode, but ok on lunch and breaks discussing with others.

I have my devotional Bible at work, and read it during lunch and breaks, and also bring up quick conversations with others here, so look at it as planting seed at work, as company does not want me to go full bore preaching mode, but ok on lunch and breaks discussing with others.
Although Wheeling in a pulpit in the break room during lunch does seem pretty funny. Could you imagine? Ha

Working on a wildfire out west, a local resident looked me in the eye and said: "I'm a Christian too." Our faith comes across. It's hard, though, to know how and when to bridge our actions to the special revelation needed for one to come to Christ. Blessings in your efforts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back