The fruit of Humility and the fruit of Pride in the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
The fruit of Humility and the fruit of Pride in the Psalms

In your majesty ride out victoriously for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness; Psalm 45:4a

God’s advice to the proud:
Be careful what you boast for
I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn;
do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck. Psalm 75:4,5
Some types of pride are good, some not
He chose our heritage for us, the pride of Jacob whom he loves. Psalm 47:4
Wrongfully placed pride will be humbled
God will give ear and humble them, he who is enthroned from of old, [Selah] because they do not change and do not fear God. Psalm 55:19
Wisdom and folly are laid side by side

The fruit of Pride:
Pride leads astray. It can keep one from God and be a trap.
In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.” Psalm 10:4
Pride leads to persecution of the Lord’s people
My enemies trample on me all day long, for many attack me proudly. Psalm 56:2
In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; Psalm 10:2
They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly. Psalm 17:10
Let the lying lips be mute, which speak insolently against the righteous in pride and contempt. Psalm 31:18
Chesty, narcissistic, unfulfilled
Pride leads to saying rash things and is a snare for the proud
For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter, Psalm 59:12
Pride keeps one from peace
Therefore pride is their necklace; violence covers them as a garment. Psalm 73:6
Rise up, O judge of the earth; repay to the proud what they deserve! Psalm 94:2
They crush your people, O Lord and afflict your heritage. Psalm 94:3,4
The proud have misplaced boasting and bad life investments
All worshipers of images are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols; worship him, all you gods! Psalm 97:7
The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. Psalm 5:5
May the LORD cut off all flattering lips, the tongue that makes great boasts, Psalm 12:3
those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches? Psalm 49:6
They boast in evil - hardly something worth boasting about
do you boast of evil, O mighty man? The steadfast love of God endures all the day. Psalm 52:1
Pride keeps one far from God
For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar. Psalm 138:6
Haters gonna hate and wicked gonna boast.
All the evildoers boast. Ps 94:4b
They flatter themselves; they flatter others
For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue. Psalm 5:9
Everyone utters lies to his neighbor; with flattering lips and a double heart they speak.
For he flatters himself in his own eyes that his iniquity cannot be found out and hated. Psalm 36:2
May the Lord cut off all flattering lips, the tongue that makes great boasts, Psalm 12:2-3

The fruit of Humility:
The God of God uses even sounds coming from baby mouths for his glory
David is used to set the tone, seven times times David by name is called Servant of God in the psalms: Psalms 18, 36, 72, 89 (twice), 132 and 144
For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. Psalm 18:27
A humble servant sings 'Thy kingdom come', the end of the the prayers of David, humbly called the son of Jesse. Psalm 72
Moses, the humblest man on earth joins in:
Let Thy work appear to Thy servants, And Thy majesty to their children Psalm 90:16
Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Psalm 31:23
The humble are teachable
He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. Psalm 25:9
It is he who remembered us in our low estate, for his steadfast love endures forever; Psalm 136:23
The humble boast not in themselves but another
My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Psalm 34:2
The humble do not go after lies.
Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie! Psalm 40:4
When I wept and humbled my soul with fasting, it became my reproach. Psalm 69:10
The humble rejoice in God’s works.
When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive. Psalm 69:32
The humble boast is outside themselves
Even in their persecution, the humble's boast is in God, even when counted as sheep for slaughter
In God we have boasted continually, and we will give thanks to your name forever. Psalm 44:8
when God arose to establish judgment, to save all the humble of the earth Psalm 76:9
The enemy shall not outwit him; the wicked shall not humble him. Psalm 89:22
The humble will not endure the proud
Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure. Psalm 101:5
The humble know to avoid pride and to cry to God for deliverance from Pride
Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me. Psalm 36:11
In the Psalms of ascent, those on a journey to the house of God are tired of the proud and pride has no place in them
Whether, going to the house of God
Our soul has had more than enough of the scorn of those who are at ease, of the contempt of the proud Psalm 123:4
Whether coming down from the house of God,
Pride was not found in the true worshipers coming from the house
O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. Psalm 131
Even in their persecution, the humble are boasting in the Lord
In God we have boasted continually, and we will give thanks to your name forever. Psalm 44:8
The humble delights themselves in the Lord and will receive the desires of their hearts

But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace. Psalm 37:11

All five books of the Psalms have spoken
The humble and the proud will have different ends
A dead end for the proud and a door of hope for the humble
The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. Psalm 5:5
May the LORD cut off all flattering lips, the tongue that makes great boasts, Psalm 12:3
For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. Psalm 18:27
The LORD lifts up the humble; he casts the wicked to the ground. Psalm 147:6
For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. Psalm 149:4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back