The folly of trusting in a death-bed conversion (Robert Rollock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Away with the security of men who play the wanton, and will promise to themselves heaven, if they get but leave to ask mercy in their last breath. Fy on them, they shall be deceived. It is true, the thief that hung at Christ's right hand got mercy; but the other thief got none. Therefore repent & amend your lives in time: for where one gets repentance at the last hour of their death, a thousand wants it.

Robert Rollock, Lectures upon the first and second Epistles of Paul to the Thessalonians (Edinburgh: Robert Charteris, 1606), p. 136.

"True conversion is never late, but late conversion is seldom true" (can't remember who said it...?Thomas Hooker)

RL Dabney once remarked words to this effect.

I never saw a conversion later in life of anyone who was not taught the Christian faith as a child. I'm sure it happens, but in my years I have not seen it.

It's in his discussions somewhere. But I couldn't find it this morning.

RL Dabney once remarked words to this effect.

I never saw a conversion later in life of anyone who was not taught the Christian faith as a child. I'm sure it happens, but in my years I have not seen it.

It's in his discussions somewhere. But I couldn't find it this morning.

Carl Trueman argues that the thief on the cross was probably catechised earlier in life and remembered the form of sound words in his dying hours. It seems probable but I would not be dogmatic about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back