The Family Tree of Reformed Biblical Theology (New Book by Rich Barcellos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
Rich got some great endorsements on this book by Gaffin, Ferguson, Beeke, and Renihan.

The cover is nice too.

Product Description
The thesis of this study is that Geerhardus Vos' biblical-theological method should be viewed as a post-Enlightenment continuation of the pre-critical federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy. Vos wrote in the context of the liberalism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. His biblical-theological methodology was largely a resuscitation of the federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy adapted to the times in which it was written.

Amazon.com: The Family Tree of Reformed Biblical Theology (9780980217957): Richard C Barcellos: Books

REFORMED BIBLICAL THEOLOGY
Geerhardus Vos and John Owen –
Their Methods of and Contributions to the Articulation of
Redemptive History
324pp., RBAP

The thesis of this study is that Geerhardus Vos’ biblical-theological method should be viewed as a post-Enlightenment continuation of the pre-critical federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy. Vos wrote in the context of the liberalism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. His biblical-theological methodology was largely a resuscitation of the federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy adapted to the times in which it was written. It will be argued, therefore, that Vos should not be viewed as a novelty and/or radical paradigm shift within the Reformed theological tradition. John Owen will be used as a case test in comparing Vos’ methodology with that of the seventeenth-century federal theology of Reformed orthodoxy. Two books will be the primary focus of the comparison and analysis of Vos and Owen – Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments by Geerhardus Vos and Theologoumena pantodapa, sive, De natura, ortu, progressu et studio, verae theologiae (Theological Affirmations of All Sorts, Or, Of the Nature, Rise, Progress, and Study, of True Theology ) by John Owen. The recently published English translation of Owen’s work is entitled Biblical Theology or The Nature, Origin, Development, and Study of Theological Truth in Six Books.

The dissertation contains four major sections. The first section (PART I: PROLEGOMENA) provides an overall introduction to the dissertation and a brief and broad survey of the history of the discipline of biblical theology. The introduction poses several questions that will be answered in the course of the dissertation. In the survey of the history of biblical theology special focus will be placed upon Reformed theologians, especially when those of the pre-critical, post-Reformation seventeenth century (Owen’s era) and the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries (Vos’ era) are discussed. This survey will be conducted to put federal theology and biblical theology in their respective historical contexts.

The second section (PART II: BIOGRAPHICAL, HISTORICAL, AND THEOLOGICAL) will discuss Geerhardus Vos and John Owen separately. It is comprised of a brief biography of Vos, and then a discussion of the historical-theological context in which Vos thought, taught, and to which he contributed. The section on Owen does basically the same thing – a brief biography and then a historical-theological discussion placing Owen in his seventeenth-century Reformed orthodox context. This will set the context for PART III, where the analysis of the two books mentioned above will be conducted.

The third section (PART III: ANALYSIS) forms the heart of the dissertation. It follows a linear, redemptive-historical approach, which can be found in both Vos and Owen. Both books mentioned above were studied section by section simultaneously. The outline is, roughly speaking, that of Vos. Each section considers Vos’ then Owen’s thoughts on the issue(s) at hand. An attempt was made to avoid anachronisms while studying Owen. Since Vos is a well-known commodity as a Reformed biblical theologian, his work forms the basis upon which Owen is compared. Attempt was made to identify elements of biblical theology first in Vos and then seek for similar elements and patterns in Owen. What will be amply observed is that Vos resurrected federal theology and adapted it to his post-Enlightenment context under the rubric of biblical theology.

The fourth section (PART IV: CONCLUSION) will be a discussion in light of our findings. It will compare and contrast, if and when necessary, Vos and Owen. It will offer some suggestions in terms of where and how Vos fits within the history of biblical theology and, especially, how he relates to Owen and the federal theology of the seventeenth-century Reformed orthodox.
The dissertation also contains two appendices: (1) an analytical outline of the dissertation and (2) a discussion on the Decalogue in the thought of key Reformed theologians with special reference to John Owen.

Geerhardus Vos, Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1948, reprinted, June 1988), referenced as BTV here on out.
This is J. I. Packer’s translation of the Latin title. Cf. John Owen, Biblical Theology or The Nature, Origin, Development, and Study of Theological Truth in Six Books (Pittsburgh, PA: Soli Deo Gloria Publications, 1994), xii, referenced as BTO here on out.

The Family Tree of Reformed Biblical Theology is 324pp. and available from the publisher at www.rbap.net. It is recommended by Joel Beeke, Richard Daniels, Sinclair Ferguson, Richard Gaffin, James Renihan, and Michael Renihan.

This book gives biographical and historical context. It gives theological reference of men who lived in the periods when these men lived. It discusses their Biblical theologies in light of the times when they wrote.

It explains the history of Biblical Theology and its relationship to the Enlightenment. Then it shows why true Biblical Theology has a Christocentric foundation from beginning to end. True Biblical Theology holds to the total inspiration of all the scriptures despite what its earlier proponents held to.

This book was a great enjoyment to read. I think you guys would appreciate it.

We're having Rich Barcellos on Covenant Radio June 17 to discuss this book.

I love Covenant Radio... I am new to Reformed thinking and it has been wonderful to listen to while I am working... I am learning so much. Thank You for your service.

Here is another review I put together for the book

This book gives biographical and historical context. It gives theological reference to Owen's and Vos’ time and lives. It discusses their articulations of the history of redemption in light of the times in which they wrote. It explains the history of Biblical Theology and its relationship to the Enlightenment. Then it shows why true Biblical Theology has a Christocentric foundation from beginning to end. True Biblical Theology holds to the total inspiration of all the Scriptures despite what its earlier proponents held.

The Abstract of this published dissertation reads:

The thesis of this study is that Geerhardus Vos’ biblical-theological method should be viewed as a post-Enlightenment continuation of the pre-critical federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy. Vos wrote in the context of the liberalism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. His biblical-theological methodology was largely a resuscitation of the federal theology of seventeenth-century Reformed orthodoxy adapted to the times in which it was written. It will be argued, therefore, that Vos should not be viewed as a novelty and/or radical paradigm shift within the Reformed theological tradition. John Owen will be used as a case test in comparing Vos’ methodology with that of the seventeenth-century federal theology of Reformed orthodoxy.

This dissertation is written on a seminary level, though very understandable. All of it is very applicable to our lives. It is Puritan and Reformed teaching laid out. This was a dissertation with a lot of applicability in how we view the Bible and its application in life. There is much to learn about hermeneutics, scholasticism, federal theology here and all very applicable.

The book is one of the best I have read in some time as a layman. If our future pastors understood Vos and Owen in the context this book puts forth, they would have nothing to fear because it is solely pointing to the Author of the Scriptures. The revelation of Christ as redeemer is the target of the Bible. It is proved in this book. It is also easily seen and applied and taught.

I really appreciated the later part of the book concerning the Sabbath and its application in eschatological understanding. The fourth commandment gets much more comment than the others. One of the reasons is due to its origin and modified applicability throughout redemptive history. Here is a quote from the book:

Vos does not discuss the Sabbath at this early juncture of his Biblical Theology. However, his discussion of revelation in the period of Moses mentions the Sabbath and in words which imply the Sabbath should be considered as part of pre-redemptive, Special (symbolic and typological) Revelation. Vos argues that the Sabbath principle symbolizes and typifies “the eschatological structure of History” and “was true before, and apart from redemption.” Then comes one of the most far reaching statements made by Vos in all of his writings: “The eschatological is an older strand in revelation that the soteric.” He goes on to say “that the… ‘Covenant of Works’ was nothing but an embodiment of the Sabbatical principal.” If the probation of the Covenant of Works had “been successful, then the sacramental Sabbath would have passed over into the reality if typified…” In other words, protology is eschatological and eschatology precedes soteriology. (158-159)

Just a small quote on this...Our weekly sabbatizing is a mirror imaging of eschatological sabbatizing. I was discussing this with a pastor the other day. Anyways, we stumbled onto a discussion on Vos and the topic of the Sabbath. The week of work ending in the Sabbath was a picture of the Covenant of Works and the probation period for Adam. It was eschatological ending in a state of rest and eternal bliss with God after his work is finished. He was also given work to do as a husband of creation. Christ came and fulfilled a work, proclaimed 'It is Finished', and entered into his rest. He paid a price for us also. Just thought that was very applicable and wonderful.

I think the author states his thesis clearly and proves it amply.

The book is available at www.rbap.net.

My itunes and Zune aren't downloading it yet but it is on the Covenantradio.com site.

http://www.covradioaudio.com/Theology/06-17-10_Family_Tree_(Richard_Barcellos).mp3

The first session was so good they have to do a second. That will happen next week.

Actually, it will happen this week (6-24)

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

We're having Rich Barcellos on Covenant Radio June 17 to discuss this book.

I love Covenant Radio... I am new to Reformed thinking and it has been wonderful to listen to while I am working... I am learning so much. Thank You for your service.

Thanks Eric. I am thankful that Covenant Radio is helping you.

I have a few books in life that I make my disciples read.

The first is the Holiness of God... first version. I was not as happy with the revision. You can find it cheap here.

9780842314930: The Holiness of God (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

The second is a book that you can't do without. It is an abridgment of John Owen's work on Sin and Temptation. I am even rereading it today with someone.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=B&keyword=Sin+and+Temptation+Houston&hs.x=22&hs.y=19&hs=Submit

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?isbn=9780880700139]Triumph Over Temptation: Pursuing a Life of Purity by John Owen, Dr. James M Houston (Editor), Dr. J I Packer (Introduction by) (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

The third is an evidentialist book but really good called More than a Carpenter.

Amazon.com: More Than a Carpenter (9780842345521): Josh McDowell: Books

The forth is Seven Reason Why You Can Trust The Bible by Erwin Lutzer.

Amazon.com: Seven Reasons Why You Can Trust the Bible (9780802484390): Erwin W. Lutzer: Books

And one I do with them is a Navpress Bible Study called Growing in Christ. I walk with them through this as it makes them start to memorize Scripture and have a foundation.

Amazon.com: Growing In Christ: A Thirteen-Week Follow-Up Course for New and…

For those going past these foundational things, I have long struggled to find something. I think I have found it finally. It deals with hermeneutics and Historical Theology. I like it better than R. C. Sproul's Knowing Scripture which I have recommended before. This book went way beyond it in defining Federalism, Hermeneutics, and many other things and doesn't dis the Majority Texts or propose the Eclectic text as a better text. In other words it won't work against my beliefs and promotes what I believe. It is very readable. It ties biographical in with theological which I am so prone to like. This is my next book that I will make my disciples read after they have come to know foundational things. Believe me, I think the the things in this book are also foundational.

It is Rich's book.

Amazon.com: The Family Tree of Reformed Biblical Theology (9780980217957): Richard C Barcellos: Books

It is cheaper here.

RBAP -- Reformed Baptist Academic Press

The interview was good but like all interviews it didn't cover all the good stuff. There is no way that that can happen. I spent days reading and re-reading this book. I drove Rich nuts calling him about it and asking questions and mostly making statements. LOL

If you do listen to it, listen to Rich's view and Vos' view on the eschatological end. It has a lot to do with salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back