The faith of God’s elect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (Christ the People's Covenant), Sermons 1:180:

Can you say that it is not in your faith, but in Christ himself, that you are seeking salvation: that you are not building your faith upon your faith, nor your hope upon your hope, but both your faith and hope upon the covenant? Can you say that whatever be wrong about you and your faith, yet you see there is nothing wrong about Christ and the covenant, but that it is well-ordered in all things and sure, and such as can right all that is wrong about you? Can you say, however I am in the dark about my faith, yet I have sometimes found out my unbelief; and, that I could no more believe than I could move the earth from its centre; but yet the joyful sound of gospel-grace hath touched my heart, and made me take up so much glory and excellency in Christ, that I think all the world nothing in comparison of him; and I think my heart’s desire is, O to have him for my Prophet to take away the darkness of my mind; as a Priest to take away the guilt of my sins; and as a King to take away the power of my lusts! Gladly would I have him, and thus my soul may be blest in him, and his name may be glorified in me. Why then, whatever you think of your faith, and of yourself, as the blackest monster of guilt that ever was out of hell, yet it seems you have the faith of God’s elect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back