The Expression: "Oh my ____!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Would you consider, "God bless America" to be an example of using Gods name in a vain manner?

I would say that if one uses it flippantly, and does not consider and mean what they are saying (but just out of tradition or because it's "cool"), it would be using his name in vain (which I think may be the case all too often).

Simply the phrase "God bless America" in and of itself does not constitute a vain usage necessarily.

What if it is expressed by an unregenerate? Would that be utilizing it in vain?

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Would you consider, "God bless America" to be an example of using Gods name in a vain manner?

I would say that if one uses it flippantly, and does not consider and mean what they are saying (but just out of tradition or because it's "cool"), it would be using his name in vain (which I think may be the case all too often).

Simply the phrase "God bless America" in and of itself does not constitute a vain usage necessarily.

What if it is expressed by an unregenerate? Would that be utilizing it in vain?

I would think so! ;)

Expletives

'With much vexation comes many dreams' once I had a bizarre dream, I cannot remember it fully but I was talking to someone and suddenly they took out a chain saw and sawed their arm off right in front of me, the dream was as if it was reality, it jolted me to wake up with the words ' 'good god' I think our upbringing can effect our subconsciousness so much. For me the words are an expletive brought on by a shocking experience.

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by just_grace]

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by just_grace]

I find this phrase any many more like it offensive. We do not even allow the "œminced oaths" in our household. If it even has the slightest possibility of being a euphemism of a religious nature, it is forbidden!

I once asked a friend who presented himself as a committed believer who used this expression and several others like it why he insisted in always taking the Lord's name in vain and you would have thought I asked him why did he insist on committing adultery every day or something else. I even used the WSC Q&A 54, which is a great one to memorize even for your own self-edification. In case any have forgotten it here it is:

Q54: What is required in the Third Commandment?
A54: The Third Commandment requireth the holy and reverent use of God's names, titles, attributes, ordinances, Word, and works.

It is refreshing to hear so many, not only opposed, but offended by the vain use of our God and saviour! Thank you all for sharing your perspective.

I just heard on national radio a few days ago, a recording by a pastor on a radio show of a Christian Psychologist, jokingly say, in discussion of the difference between Laymen and pastors, that pastor's get to go around with the voice saying, " G... Bless You, G.. Bless you..." He was actually joking about how pastor's are known to say that and that is the pastorese. His audience laughed...I was offended that our Christian culture took humour in so solemn a request from God to bless.

A study of Leviticus 24 will remind us all what the Lord thinks of taking his Name in vain. In the passage, His Name is not even mentioned, it is just called "the Name." A half-blooded Isrealite (his father was probably Egyptian) takes the Name as an oath, probably to bring emphasis in an argument. No one knows what to do, so they call Moses. Moses speaks with the LORD, and the sentence is given--everyone who heard the oath must put his hand on the man as a sign of putting the filth of hearing God's Name in vain back onto the man. Then the man is put to death. This is what God thinks of His Name being taken in vain.

About 15 years ago, when I was a new Christian, I used a minced oath at my locker. A young lady next to me (a pastor's daughter) rebuked me and informed me that I had just sinned against the Lord and broken the Third Commandment. I've never forgotten it. I cleaned my vocabulary of all minced oaths, and I thank the Lord for putting this sincere Christian girl in my path. May the Lord give us the love for our fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord to do the same.

Incidentally, even as a missionary on the foriegn field, I have heard other missionaries use minced oaths. I have informeed them that this is blasphemy against God, and they are shocked. We all go to the dictionary, and we find that these slang words are just a replacement for the worthy Name of the Lord.

God has given Jesus this "Name." "God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow..." (Phil. 2:9b-10). This is a quote from Isaiah 43, but the "Me" (Jehovah) of that passage is replaced with "the Name" of Jesus.

God's Name is equal with His authority, and to use His Name in directly or euphemistically in vain is equivalent to ripping God's priceless authority from Heaven and abusing it for one's own cheap purposes.

The Name is to be proclaimed in all the world. The Name of Jesus (Jehovah saves) is the Gospel. To use God's Name lightly is to destroy the Gospel we believe. I see no more grevious sin than this one.

To take God's Name in vain is also to "forget God" (Psalm 9:17). It is the mark of the atheist.

For a more in-depth study see: [Link no longer good, 1-5-2019].

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin in the Institutes summarizes the problem pretty well. He sort of opened my eyes. While in my opinion it's pretty clear from Scripture that shreeking,er, 'Oh, my goodness!' is bad, Calvin points out why it's bad. Basically it isn't showing God reverence. When one says His name, one should think about Who that name is describing, and therefore should be saying it with respect and reference. Calvin notes that this should be the case for all situations, "God" should always be said respectfully and never indifferently.

Nevertheless, I don't mind slang, so I say, "Oh for goodness sake!" or "For the love of crap!" (By the way, my dictionary does not consider 'crap' a swear word).

Originally posted by spainharvest
God's Name is equal with His authority, and to use His Name in directly or euphemistically in vain is equivalent to ripping God's priceless authority from Heaven and abusing it for one's own cheap purposes.

The Name is to be proclaimed in all the world. The Name of Jesus (Jehovah saves) is the Gospel. To use God's Name lightly is to destroy the Gospel we believe. I see no more grevious sin than this one.

To take God's Name in vain is also to "forget God" (Psalm 9:17). It is the mark of the atheist.
:amen:
Q. 112. What is required in the third commandment?

A. The third commandment requires, That the name of God, his titles, attributes, ordinances, the Word, sacraments, prayer, oaths, vows, lots, his works, and whatsoever else there is whereby he makes himself known, be holily and reverently used in thought, meditation, word, and writing; by an holy profession, and answerable conversation, to the glory of God, and the good of ourselves, and others.

Q. 113. What are the sins forbidden in the third commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the third commandment are, the not using of God´s name as is required; and the abuse of it in an ignorant, vain, irreverent, profane, superstitious or wicked mentioning or otherwise using his titles, attributes, ordinances, or works, by blasphemy, perjury; all sinful cursings, oaths, vows, and lots; violating of our oaths and vows, if lawful and fulfilling them, if of things unlawful; murmuring and quarrelling at, curious prying into, and misapplying of God´s decrees and providences; misinterpreting, misapplying, or any way perverting the Word, or any part of it; to profane jests, curious or unprofitable questions, vain janglings, or the maintaining of false doctrines; abusing it, the creatures, or anything contained under the name of God, to charms, or sinful lusts and practices; the maligning, scorning, reviling, or any wise opposing of God´s truth, grace, and ways; making profession of religion in hypocrisy, or for sinister ends; being ashamed of it, or a shame to it, by unconformable, unwise, unfruitful, and offensive walking, or backsliding from it.

We have definitely established that it is a sin. So, I was wondering how should we react to someone who does it? Especially, if they are unregenerate.
If they are a christian I am sure the best course of action would be to rebuke them.

Originally posted by sola_gratia
We have definitely established that it is a sin. So, I was wondering how should we react to someone who does it? Especially, if they are unregenerate.
If they are a christian I am sure the best course of action would be to rebuke them.

Certainly, though this must be done with care. I am of the mind that this particular turn of phrase is one that SO many people are absolutely numb to - that going in with guns blazing isn't the best approach. Since the person uttering it is probably unaware that the phrase is a violation of the law, it pays, I think, to gently remind them of the command... and ask them whether they consider what they've just said to be God honoring, and an appropriate use of the name.

I suspect that some will balk at this, but more might be caught and caused to think about what they've said, than if they were hit immediately with the "how dare you" approach.

After the subject is broached, we can then move on to the equally pertinent discussion of why the phrase is used (i.e. the issue of discontent, which is one of the great blights, in my book, on the church today... but that's for another thread)

Now in the case with non-Christians... there it gets somewhat trickier. I play basketball with a mixed crowd - that is, there are a few of us believers in the mix, and many nominal types... and the blasphemous "JC" comes out once a week or so from some pottymouth. Whenever I hear that, I just about croak - but I have said something once or twice
when I am certain who's said it... and another of the believing guys has also. It usually just gets ignored with a sideways glance, but I have seen a realization of the offense in one or two instances.

Anyone else have experience with this? Confronting (gently) a non-believer who has used the Lord's name in vain? Results?

Todd

Originally posted by turmeric
That ain't sanctification! (Response to picture)

The phrase referenced in the title offends me and I hear Christians use it (and worse) all the time! Even when talking about God they're swearing.
Sometimes to my surprise, I hear myself doing it. (I don't own a TV, that ain't the problem for me.) I'd like to stop and to get accountablilty for it, but it seems awfully Wesleyan to bring it up. People will start using the legalism-word and the gnostic-word and on and on. I keep waiting for God to just get them to stop, and that's another whole :worms: There, I feel better!

Say "Ninnyhammers" Meg....it's expressive and no where near irreverent to God. Plus, it's fun to say!

:cool:

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back