The Expression: "Oh my ____!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by maxdetail
My favorite and only expletive is still "sammina bastage!"

It sounds just awful and fullfills the need for catharsis but is completely without connotation or etymology.

I tore my thumbnail back while remodeling my bathroom this weekend and I used it passionately. Yes, it DID seem to help along with cold water, band-aids and some sympathy from my dear wife. :eek: SAMMINA BASTAGE!!!

That sounds like the old man in "A Christmas Story" who weaved a tapestry that is still hanging over Lake Michigan and whose son became quite a connossieur of soap. Soap poisoning!! :lol:

Originally posted by rmb
I hear the expression "Oh my ____!" (name of our Lord)all the time. Do you find it offensive. Do you find yourself using it. Also why are so many people drawn to it, to express utter suprise.

Edited by Moderator

[Edited on 4-17-2005 by joshua]

3rd commandment. I also come unglued when I see a picture of a kid in the paper with the caption, "Lordy, Lordy, look whose 40." It's sad, but not unexpected, that blashphemy is a way of life among the lost. It is horrifying when it is found among the redeemed.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I would much rather hear dung in its common venacular or the F word way before hearing the Lords Name taken in vain.

Speaking of...I once heard that was a Puritan acrostic meaning "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." I don't know if it's true...sounds a little apocryphal...

It sounds just awful and fullfills the need for catharsis but is completely without connotation or etymology.

I tore my thumbnail back while remodeling my bathroom this weekend and I used it passionately. Yes, it DID seem to help along with cold water, band-aids and some sympathy from my dear wife. :eek: SAMMINA BASTAGE!!!

I believeit was sammina beach in the movie, wasn't it? Bastage was a different epithet as I recall...

I remember in my own fundy, dispie days we used to yell "STINK!" at the top of our lungs. Ahhhhh, sanctified swearing. :lol:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

That sounds like the old man in "A Christmas Story" who weaved a tapestry that is still hanging over Lake Michigan and whose son became quite a connossieur of soap. Soap poisoning!! :lol:

My kids crack up over that movie.

Swearing is icky. Especially when trying to break your autistic son from it after hearing it from various family members with potty mouths.:banghead::banghead:

Originally posted by kevin.carroll

I believeit was sammina beach in the movie, wasn't it? Bastage was a different epithet as I recall...

I remember in my own fundy, dispie days we used to yell "STINK!" at the top of our lungs. Ahhhhh, sanctified swearing. :lol:

Would "Oh sh*t" be considered a violation of the 3rd commandment? Isn't it just a colorful metaphor?

Originally posted by Augusta
Swearing is icky. Especially when trying to break your autistic son from it after hearing it from various family members with potty mouths.:banghead::banghead:

I like the term POTTY MOUTHS.

I am blessed. My ex use to cuss in front of the kids. I didn't know it. She did it while I wasn't home in rage at the boys when they were little. She was out of control. They hate cussing now.

Well Nathan is a little parrot but he is also not unaware of how it gets to Mom and Dad when he says these words. It is a struggle of wills. 7 uncles doesn't help. :banghead: Dave has 7 brothers between the ages of 24 and 45. :um:

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
Originally posted by kevin.carroll

Would "Oh sh*t" be considered a violation of the 3rd commandment? Isn't it just a colorful metaphor?

I don't know if I would place it under the 3rd Commandment. Titus 2:8 certainly enjoins ministers to wholesome speech. Certainly how we talk should say something about our holy God. I had an unbeliever remark to me onetime that he had noticed how careful I was in the way I spoke. (He was referring to swearing! LOL) I took it as a real compliment.

My father had a stroke many years ago. My dad couldn't speak english until he was in the 6th grade (french canadian). After his stroke he was unable to speak. One day while trying to speak he swore in french. He was only able to swear in french. Eventually, he was able to speak french which was still pretty burdensome.

Not long after he was able to swear in english - he was speaking in french and swearing in english. Lastly, his english came back.

My theory is that cursing occupies a very primitive or rather base portion of our mind. Maybe it just represents the struggle with our fleshly, worldly nature.

I know of a fellow who just died, a church going man with alzheimers. After church he would want to drive and of course his wife wouldn't let him. He would yell and swear and pout. Why is that?

Left without our reason does even the believer return to the demented child-god that he was before sanctification (without losing his salvation of course). This really haunts me. I'm careful about my speach but can there come a time when I could lose control of my tongue in such a way that I could blaspheme God. :candle:

Here's is my suggestion. Based on the principle that you will reap what you sow, and the tendency we have to become charicatures of ourselves when we get old - be extra vigilent in guarding your tongue and your speech now. All your habits, bad and hopefully, good will be exagerated later on.

That is a powerful point, Bob. It serves to remind me about the importance of being guardian or gatekeeper to my children with respect to TV and other sources of bad influences. We cannot keep the world out altogether, and indeed as you profoundly note our sin is truly indwelling, but as the Scripture teaches, we are to inculcate virtuous habits and speech as part of our calling to holiness. As Pastor Way referenced earlier, "Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Isa. 6.5)

:ditto: Amen and Amen Andrew, Pastor Way and Isaiah.

As we get closer to adopting our next children I'm giving that area a great deal of meditation and attention. I could have done better the first time around but my eyes hadn't been opened yet to the glory of God.

Just some thoughts, even words that aren't necessarily sin to say in and of themselves (to use as an example STINK!), do they not portray uncontentment in these situations? If this is true, does that mean all uses of these words (in uncomfortable situations) are wrong, regardless of what is being said? I.E. even if one says "Chocolate chip cookies!" everytime something goes wrong?

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Just some thoughts, even words that aren't necessarily sin to say in and of themselves (to use as an example STINK!), do they not portray uncontentment in these situations? If this is true, does that mean all uses of these words (in uncomfortable situations) are wrong, regardless of what is being said? I.E. even if one says "Chocolate chip cookies!" everytime something goes wrong?

I would tend to agree. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus certainly indicated that God looks upon the intent of the heart as being equally as sinful as the actions of the body. Cursing is cursing, no matter how you spin it.

As a side note, it is interesting some of the vulgarims one can find in the Old Testament. These are always glossed over in our English versions but the Hebrew remains a good deal more colorful in places, especially in 1 and 2 Kings.

I am in agreement with all posts. Whether saying God's name in vain or saying one of the variety of 'made-up' names for God in vain, it is sin. Hate sin. Using Jesus Christ's name in vain is especially stomach turning for me. I am almost instantly burdened for that person's well being after they use Christ's name in vain. :barfy:

Originally posted by ABondSlaveofChristJesus
It makes my skin crawl. I heard this one girl say it that I kind of liked and felt like throwing up.

Check out http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9444
:D

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

Right on! That's what I've come to think. Even when I catch myself saying "shucks", or something like that, it's just a gut reaction from discontent. And we should be expecting bad things to happen to us. We should be surprised when good things happen to us. Then our response is, "Thank you, Lord."

Aaron

We must also not jump to conclusions when a person may be vulgar at times. I worshipped with a person who was very vulgar, when I asked the leader why he speaks like that, I was informed that I should have known this person 6 months ago. A drunkard, sabbath breaker, blasphemer, drug addict. SO in the process of sanctification, I will attest that we must not be first to cast stones for issues, for we know not how the Lord has worked in the person thus far.

It's really hard for me when I deal with a Christian with sailor-mouth, who thinks that because of past issues in life he/she has a right to use this language to "let off steam" and bug legalistic Christians. I keep waiting for the Holy Spirit to remove the problem and am not sure how to respond. Saying something prejorative would automatically make me "legalistic".

Notice the ingenuity people have in attempting to get around the problem:

goshdarnit
dagnabit
Jimmini Christmas

OK. Regarding the original topic of this thread: I've been contemplating long and hard on this issue since the thread began and have waited to chime in until now. I've read what everyone has to say. I've studied up on the Third Commandment. From what I can tell, any sin in using the phrase would have to stem from the context. I simply do not find the words themselves to be sinful or taking God's name in vain without a certain infliction or disregard. Can anyone explain to me why it would be wrong to even type these words as a topic on a message board?
:candle:

What flows from one's mouth is just an indication of the heart. Sailor-mouth professing Christians are a false witness. They may need to check up on what spirit is working within them... it's not God's. They have willfully squelched the Holy Spirit and are being led by another.

Is the title of this thread automatically sin? Is it always used with a sailor's mouth? Is this discussion taking God's name in vain?

I would say that the title of this thread is not sin. I would also say that "Oh my God" is not always necessarily profanity (although it can be). When I watched a Boeing 767 slam into the World Trade Center and explode I remember saying "My God..." I do not believe this was profane.

Now, if I saw that my neighbor had painted his house a nasty color and exclaimed "Oh my God" out of pure disgust, this would be profane.

This thread is a discussion of the issue... I do not believe it is taking God's name in vain.

Originally posted by Solo Christo
OK. Regarding the original topic of this thread: I've been contemplating long and hard on this issue since the thread began and have waited to chime in until now. I've read what everyone has to say. I've studied up on the Third Commandment. From what I can tell, any sin in using the phrase would have to stem from the context. I simply do not find the words themselves to be sinful or taking God's name in vain without a certain infliction or disregard. Can anyone explain to me why it would be wrong to even type these words as a topic on a message board?
:candle:

Good question. As was mentioned before, God looks at the intent of the heart, not just the word itself. That said, some of the above mentioned expressions are often used in a positive manner to express delight. For example, let's say I am fishing with my daughter and she lands a 1/4 pumpkinseed and I say "now that's a nice fish, by golly!"

To me this can very easily become an issue of moralism. Case in point: the famous 4 letters, Tetragrammaton, YHWH. Those familiar with Hebrew know that its alphabet is all consonants. There are 'vowel pointers' that let us understand pronunciation. Well, thanks to the Hebrew moralists in the Old Testament, we have lost the true pronunciation of God's Covenant special name revealed to Moses emphasizing His personhood and self-existence (I AM that I AM). They looked at the Third Commandment and thought, well if it is sin to use God's name in vain, we'll just quit using it all together so as to escape any chance of sin. The result is that now the true pronunciation is not known for sure.

Thank God for the precious name of Christ Jesus!

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Would you consider, "God bless America" to be an example of using Gods name in a vain manner?

I would say that if one uses it flippantly, and does not consider and mean what they are saying (but just out of tradition or because it's "cool"), it would be using his name in vain (which I think may be the case all too often).

Simply the phrase "God bless America" in and of itself does not constitute a vain usage necessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back