The Expression: "Oh my ____!"

Discussion in 'The Pilgrims Progress' started by rmb, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmb

rmb Puritan Board Freshman

The Expression: \"Oh my ____!\"

I hear the expression "Oh my ____!" (name of our Lord)all the time. Do you find it offensive. Do you find yourself using it. Also why are so many people drawn to it, to express utter suprise.

Edited by Moderator

[Edited on 4-17-2005 by joshua]

2. LadyFlynt

LadyFlynt Puritan Board Doctor

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain...this constitutes as vain usage and is VERY offensive!

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

It's a clear violation of the Third Commandment because it takes the Lord's name in vain. Most people I know, including many Christians, are not shy about using this expression. It's everywhere. Atheists who don't believe in God and Muslims who believe in a different God among others use this expression, and likewise, many will take the name of Christ in vain specifically. I don't know why this is so, except that we are all sinners and God's name is something we all naturally want to abuse. There are people who try to substitute "gosh" or other expressions for the one you cited, but all that does is create a "minced oath." There are all sorts of euphemisms for God, but they still take God's name in vain. I usually hear these expressions arising out of anger or alarm. It makes a huge difference what the motivation or context is for using the name of the Lord in a particular way. We ought all to remember the Lord's Prayer: "Hallowed be thy Name."

4. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

:ditto:

5. strangerpilgrim

strangerpilgrim Puritan Board Freshman

I think for at least SOME Christians (and I'm not saying you are one of these rmb), this slips out because they watch too much TV...:detective:

6. Jeff_Bartel

I think a more in depth discussion could be started by asking...Is it ok to say "Oh my Gaaaa" or "Oh my Word" or "Cheese" or "Gee Wally."

These don't use God's Holy name explicitly, but one may argue that they are implicitly.

Thoughts?

:worms:

7. VirginiaHuguenot

As I mentioned, they are minced oaths.

8. Jeff_Bartel

Is it bad that I had to look up minced? All I could think of was garlic! :lol:

I agree Andrew.

[Edited on 4-17-2005 by Jeff_Bartel]

9. VirginiaHuguenot

:lol: I thought about posting an article on the subject of minced oaths from an online Encyclopedia, but there is too much swearing in the article! Hmmm...

10. Anton Bruckner

Anton Bruckner Puritan Board Professor

Oh my ________? groans my skin. Usually whenever I hear it while watching television I get most uncomfortable and guilt ridden.

I guess this is God trying to get me to go to a next level of sanctification in giving up these silly television shows.

[Edited on 4-17-2005 by Slippery]

11. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

That ain't sanctification! (Response to picture)

The phrase referenced in the title offends me and I hear Christians use it (and worse) all the time! Even when talking about God they're swearing.
    Sometimes to my surprise, I hear myself doing it. (I don't own a TV, that ain't the problem for me.) I'd like to stop and to get accountablilty for it, but it seems awfully Wesleyan to bring it up. People will start using the legalism-word and the gnostic-word and on and on. I keep waiting for God to just get them to stop, and that's another whole :worms: There, I feel better!

12. ABondSlaveofChristJesus

ABondSlaveofChristJesus Puritan Board Freshman

It makes my skin crawl. I heard this one girl say it that I kind of liked and felt like throwing up.

13. pastorway

pastorway Puritan Board Senior

If it does not offend us and drive us to defend God's glory then we have a flawed view of God. Worse yet, if we use the phrase, we expose our lack of reverence for Him.

How long has it been since you heard a sermon on the fear of God or on the holiness of God?

When you have a right view of Him, like Isaiah in the temple, then you cry with the prophet, "Woe is me, for I am undone. I am a man of unclean lips."

Phillip

14. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

15. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

Heard one? Well does listening to last weeks tape of my sermon count? Then it would have been on Tuesday.

In my humble opinion the Fear of the Lord is the most overlooked theme of Scripture.

16. lwadkins

lwadkins Puritan Board Junior

My wife helped my daughter and her husband move into their first house. While moving my daughter (who was raised in the church but has left since being out on her own) kept speaking the name and title of the Son of God as an oath. My wife had to ask her to stop. :banghead: Very disappointing. I have been engaging her in conversation and exhorting her to return to church and remember who her Lord is, and thought she was remembering. But this was not encouraging.

17. tfelice

tfelice Puritan Board Freshman

Like others I find "Oh my ___" to be offensive for the reasons others have given. A rather interesting side note though, my daughter's school is dispy fundamentalists (closest Christian school around - not our first choice mind you). They have been told in 2nd grade that they cannot say "Oh my gosh" or "Oh my goodness" since these other words are replacements for "God" and thus are equally sinful.

I've looked up "gosh" in several dictionaries and I could not find anyone that defines "gosh" as a replacement word for "God".

18. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

Good for those Dispies! Gosh & Golly are both minced oaths, so I've always been told.

19. VirginiaHuguenot

From the Online Eytmology Dictionary:

20. Average Joey

Average Joey Puritan Board Junior

You learn something new every day!:banana:

21. Average Joey

Average Joey Puritan Board Junior

What bothers me worse then anything is G--d---n.It makes me almost violently angry when somebody says it.:mad:

[Edited on 4-18-2005 by Average Joey]

22. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

I would much rather hear dung in its common venacular or the F word way before hearing the Lords Name taken in vain.

23. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Misuse of Christ´s name is also horrible; particularly when used for "artistic purposes" by some Christian creative writer types (anyone remember that Credenda Agenda gem from some years ago?).

24. bond-servant

bond-servant Puritan Board Sophomore

I hate that expression, or any other misuse of God's name

25. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator Staff Member

My favorite and only expletive is still "sammina bastage!"

It sounds just awful and fullfills the need for catharsis but is completely without connotation or etymology.

I tore my thumbnail back while remodeling my bathroom this weekend and I used it passionately. Yes, it DID seem to help along with cold water, band-aids and some sympathy from my dear wife. :eek: SAMMINA BASTAGE!!!

26. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator Staff Member

PS - When I hear someone use the Lord's name in place of a swear word, I take that as a reminder to pray - for the potty mouthed person first and then for who or whatever the Lord gives me unction to pray for.

"Repay no one evil for evil, but give THOUGHT to DO what is honorable in the sight of all....Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

27. tfelice

tfelice Puritan Board Freshman

Thanks for the reference. To be honest I am surprised by that one.

28. tcalbrecht

tcalbrecht Puritan Board Junior

And here I really liked the Burl Ives song ... :D

29. tcalbrecht

tcalbrecht Puritan Board Junior

Johnny Dangerously??

30. Reed

Reed Puritan Board Freshman

When I hear it I say...

"hey! Is there a prayer meeting in here?"

:>
    :detective:Reed