The 'essence' of Geerhardus Vos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
If someone wants to study the 'essence' of Geerhardus Vos writings (that is not getting bogged down in the technical stuff) do you think the following would cover this, or are there other relevant works as well?
1. A Geerhardus Vos Anthology
2. Biblical Theology: Old And New Testaments
3. Redemptive History & Biblical Interpretation (Shorter writings)

Also, how does Vos' Biblical Theology compare to modern theologians such as Graheme Goldsworthy?

Thanks.

Stephen, I would actually argue that 2 is his magnum opus (I've read most of his writings now), although, with his Reformed Dogmatics being now published, you should also get a hold of that. Vos's thoughts on the Sabbath in the Biblical Theology volume are worth the price of admission. I've read most of the first volume of the RD, and it is pure gold.

If by "essence" you mean you want to get a sense of how Mr. Vos thinks, you might want to consider a volume of his sermons preached at Princeton: Grace and Glory Everything else mentioned is written for a scholarly audience. The Redemptive History volume draws heavily from articles originally published in Princeton Theological Review, as Rich mentioned, so looking them up online will give you a flavor. The first in the redemptive history volume, if memory serves me correctly, is his address as the Biblical theology chair was inaugurated at Princeton; it gives one of the best introductions to the topic; much of the rest of the volume is pretty technical, but you never lose the sense of the deep pastoral concern Mr. Vos always seems to have for his readers.

Regarding comparisons to the moderns, the primary familiarity I have is with Greg Beale through his lectures online and by slogging through a large chunk of his NT Biblical Theology which attempts to build on Mr. Vos' work. Quite frankly, I think the original Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testament is a much more elegant treatment, though if you want every detail of what meets the modern, accepted form of scholarship, Mr. Beale's work is worth the effort. (I'm still working on it!)

with his Reformed Dogmatics being now published, you should also get a hold of that. Vos's thoughts on the Sabbath in the Biblical Theology volume are worth the price of admission. I've read most of the first volume of the RD, and it is pure gold.
Thanks Rev Keister. I am sure it is pure gold. I did wonder re the scripture "of the making of books there is no end" and ones tight book buying budget, if one has Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics and the 3 Vos books listed above (I have these Bavinck and Vos books), is there any benefit of getting Vos' Reformed Dogmatics over and above these others?

I didn't catch in your OP, that you already have these volumes. Enjoy! If the anthology includes The Pauline Eschatology, and the eschatology of the Psalter, you are set!

I don't claim to be a Vos' scholar but I think this article captures Vos' Biblical Theology:

Digital Journals
Rich, this article is actually in the book I mentioned "Redemptive History & Biblical Interpretation (Shorter writings)". I agree it is excellent. I love this book as it captures many of Vos' excellent shorter writings.

Thanks. I knew I read it somewhere but did an online search for it. The reason I like it is because of the way it coherently and (relatively) compactly shows how OT worship is a copy of the eternal heavenly reality and this reality is progressively unfolded. Enns is an example of someone who wants to sever this connection and turns OT Revelation into a set of myths and legends that can be chock full of problems but it's all OK because it's all sorted out with Christ.

with his Reformed Dogmatics being now published, you should also get a hold of that. Vos's thoughts on the Sabbath in the Biblical Theology volume are worth the price of admission. I've read most of the first volume of the RD, and it is pure gold.
Thanks Rev Keister. I am sure it is pure gold. I did wonder re the scripture "of the making of books there is no end" and ones tight book buying budget, if one has Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics and the 3 Vos books listed above (I have these Bavinck and Vos books), is there any benefit of getting Vos' Reformed Dogmatics over and above these others?

Vos's RD was written before Bavinck's, and is therefore independent of it. If you have Bavinck, read him first, and then get Vos. Trust me, you will not waste your money. It is well worth while to have several systematic theologies at your disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back