the end of hebrew class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Shahan

Puritan Board Sophomore
just had my last hebrew class. We were meeting also once a week at a coffee shop to read hebrew for an hour on fridays. Now it is coming to and end. The Prof doesnt want to continue facilitating the group. And the group no longer wants to meet if the Prof isnt going to be there. Not everyone shares the same convictions when it comes to the languages. My fear is just becoming another statistic like so many, that "run through a class and then just ends up putting the book on the shelf.... I need a "reading group" to stay active. Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17. It is hard to find people that want to read the languages and devote a certain time to do so. The "fight for survival begins NOW". some of you reading this know what I am talking about. You got out of greek or hebrew after "running through the grammar" and then put it on the bookshelf.... I am the guy trying not to put it on the bookshelf....but I need help not to put it on the bookshelf......left to my own "self" I will probably be just another guy that "hangs it up". I guess, what I am saying is I know the importance of having a reading group, it goes back to that proverb....Without "others" I can and probably will become "dull". I know that there are some self determined saints that are really selfdisciplined that can do it, but I think there is a great majority of people that quit.... I suppose a "reading group" is more like a support group.

Scott, if your progress depends on others, you'll often be disappointed. Take your Hebrew Bible and systematically read it. Even only half an hour a day will move you along quickly.

Scott, if you are at an intermediate level (you have a decent vocab and a grasp on the verb system), I would recommend this Hebrew reader. It goes through passages in different genres, offering information of quite a few types - lexical, syntactical, textual, exegetical, literary, etc. The lessons are of a nice size, so you can get through them in 1 or 2 sittings. It also references many other Hebrew grammars, so you can look up things in your beginner book.

I'll be working through it this summer.

Amazon.com: Readings in Biblical Hebrew: An Intermediate Textbook (Yale Language Series): Ehud Ben Zvi, Ms. Maxine Hancock, Mr. Richard A. Beinert: Books

I have just finished Hebrew III as well and am planning on using Miles Van Pelt's graded reader of Biblical Hebrew over the summer. I am not sure what you are looking for in a "group" but let me know if you would like to be held accountable or share insights together over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back