The Doctrine of Absolute Predestination Stated

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
I just bought this book for my Kindle it is by Girolamo Zanchi, Augustus Toplady, and Justus Lipsius.

In it they refer to a Saint Austin. I see them mention Saint Austin about five times already. I have tried to track down where they say St. Austin argues in Johan tract 45 col 335 hence the saying of Ambrose. I find refrences to Augustine.

So my question is is St. Austin another name for Augustine?

Thank you.

Are you sure they aren't talking about Saint Austin W of Texas and Saint Johan of South Africa?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Seriously, the book is on Google books, and I see where "De bono persever" is mentioned. I googled and found that Richard Baxter cites it in Saint's Everlasting Rest, and he writes the name as "Augustin"

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

TDOAPS also says, "Luther, Bucer, and Austin" and I Googled some of the direct quotes, and it's Augustine. Interesting!

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

The name Augustine is widely used; it has 27 variants that are used in both English and other languages. Variants used in English include Agaistin, Aguste, Augustin (used in Czech, French, German, and Romanian too), Augustinos, Augustus, and Austin (used in German and Latin too). The short form Gus (used in Irish, and Scottish too), and the pet form Auggie are other English variants.

Foreign variants of Augustine include Agostina (Italian), Agostinho (Portuguese), Agostino (Italian), Agoston (Hungarian), Agustin (Spanish), Agustín (Spanish), Aibhistin (Irish), Augustijn (Dutch), Augustinas (Lithuanian), Augustinus (German), Augustín (Czech and Slavic), Augustyn (Polish), Avgustin (Russian), Ághaistín (Irish), Ágoston (Hungarian), Gustl (German), Stijn (Dutch), Tauno (Finnish), and Tijn (Dutch)

Augustine - Meaning of the boy name Augustine at Baby Names Pedia

I wonder if his mother Monica ever called him Auggie?

TDOAPS also says, "Luther, Bucer, and Austin" and I Googled some of the direct quotes, and it's Augustine. Interesting!

Thank you, I learned something new today. I keep seeing those names espically Luther, Bucer, and Austin.

What is TDOAPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back