The difference between Presbyterians and those of the (Continental) Reformed churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelNZ

Puritan Board Freshman
I attend the Reformed Church of Dunedin, part of the Reformed Churches of New Zealand, which was founded by Dutch immigrants who found the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand to be too liberal. I've only attended 2 services of the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand, although I am currently doing work experience in the Presbyterian archives, which exposes me a little to the PCANZ. The PCANZ is quite liberal - they ordain women as ministers. I've also been to Grace Bible Church, part of the Grace Presbyterian Church of New Zealand, but they were contemporary and not liturgical at all.

The Reformed Churches of NZ are not liturgical - we don't follow the Church year (except Easter and Christmas) and our pastors don't wear clerical collars or Geneva gowns or albs and stoles. It is my impression that Presbyterians do these things to a certain extent.

Can anyone here who has experience of both groups enlighten me on the main differences between these two groups?

In my limited knowledge the Dutch confess the Three Forms of Unity while the UK Presbyterian and Reformed and their descendants elsewhere confess the Westminster Standards.

In my limited knowledge the Dutch confess the Three Forms of Unity while the UK Presbyterian and Reformed and their descendants elsewhere confess the Westminster Standards.

The Reformed Churches of NZ are one of the few churches that confess the Three Forms of Unity and the Westminster Confession.

I was thinking more along the lines of worship, externals etc. We don't have a cross in our church, for example.

Two presbyterian churches in the SAME denomination may have different "externals etc" depending on their view of the RPW. I have been to 2 different Associate Reformed Presbyterian churches within a 20 minute drive of each other.
One: No cross, no robe, no collar, no stained glass, no choir, no candles, no color, no responsive readings, etc.
The other: ALL OF THE ABOVE
And, some Associated Reformed Presbyterian churches still practice Exclusive Psalmody (neither of the above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back