The difference between a Christian in error and a false teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stereotype that held me back from embracing full Calvinism for decades was the charge that whereas broad evangelicals worship God (some better, some worse), the Calvinist just worships his theology. To the bulk of Christians around the world Reformed theology does not look sweet in its God-centered purity, but harsh, mean-spirited, arrogant, Pharisaical, nit picky, and sinfully introspective. While evangelicals are busy trying to obey the Great Commission, the TR are seen as a the nerds of Christianity, sitting among their stacks of books ("where was the 45th book on the theonomy or the latest polemic on the EP debate again?").

Our precision and penetrating scholarship is the envy of the evangelical world. However, in the hands of the immature (particularly the newly minted 5 pointer, "converted" from broad evangelicalism or worse . . . the MAINLINE), all too often we sound like medieval scholastics or post-Reformation Jesuits with our debates over line drawing that usually seems both uncharitable and hardly Christian.

I do not write this as an outsider or hostile brick thrower, but as a sadder and older observer of more than five decades of evangelicalism and the mainline church. One of my sons rolls his eyes whenever I begin to opine on Calvinism, shaking his head and saying: "Dad, you sound just like X (a friend from his teen years who became an evangelist for Reformed theology at Moody and who could not help 'educating' his old buds whenever they got together at school breaks and holidays). Ironically, my son's friend is now a third year student at Westminster Sem (Cal). When I gave all of my adult children the 2-DVD "Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvinism," last year, they chuckled and shook their heads.

"Dad," my attorney son began in trench condescension, "don't you know that 5 pt Calvinists are the Amway salesmen of the evangelical world? Most people run the other way when they see them coming. Don't go to the Dark Side, Dad. Believe in the Sovereignty of God, but stay away from the kooks and their web sites."

Oh well, for what it's worth.

Funny, but those same critics probably would not like many of our Synods/General Assemblies either. Just a thought.

By the way, who's the third year WSC student? I may know him - PM me with the name if you'd feel more comfortable.

bump. :popcorn:

this is interesting because many people whom I dearly love are in a typical Dispensational Charismatic church.

DMcFadden

to engage in endless arguments over very fine points of doctrine and find that package pretty nerdy and unattractive. Nobody is criticizing God.

I know what you are saying, the impression some people have.

But, let's face it, we even have a philosophical view on this in Reformed. Human beings do not like "doctrine" because they do not highly value God's Word. It's hard work to understand, contend for, and far less, to follow once one does believe it.

The doctrines self-centered human beings do not like- that they have absolutely nothing to do with their own salvation, that God is just in electing some and not others, that God demands obedience of all His creation, instinctively human beings (natural self) do not like that.

This gets into the mix in evaluating "Reformed Theology" and yes I do think it can bring out real criticism of God. That's a spiritual problem, too.

I think the question of "...was I really a Christian..." is a common question that seems to imply that being a Christian is a matter of knowing every doctrine correctly. Of course, then we try to divine those doctrines that are "essential" and conclude that, if we believe those doctrines properly, then we're really saved (and hence a Christian).

On the one hand, we need to remember that our faith is a consequence of our election and union with Christ. On the other hand, it's not the doctrines we know properly but the faith we either possess or do not that does or does not procure His righteousness.

I don't want to dismiss the importance of properly being taught the things of God. Yet, when I encounter an individual who has been poorly taught, my view of the individual is not that they are non-disciples (read not Christians) but that they are poorly trained disciples that are in need of teaching.

I think a Reformed (read Scriptural) view of discipleship is helpful here. Rather than mistaking being a disciple (Christian) with surely being united to Christ (something only God can know), we must remember that a disciple is one who is baptized and now under obligation to learn and be taught the things of God.

It's not as if the Reformers believed they weren't Christians before the light of the Gospel dawned upon them but they condemned the Papists for witholding the light of the Gospel from those that had been baptized into Christ.

I also have to say that I'm not one to get into one of those "...some of you are going to be surprised at how many Arminians are going to be in heaven..." kind of equations. As time goes on, my zeal for the Truth doesn't require me to cast others into outer darkness because they believe wrongly. I believe they are, by baptism, Christians who require proper teaching. I am angry at the false undershepherds who will one day gnash their teeth when the sin of their neglect is revealed but the underfed sheep are still my brothers and sisters and, if they darkened the door of my Church, I would consider them those for whom I must strive together with to ensure that none shrink back in disbelief. I would desire for them that they leave their Churches where therapy and glory are taught so they can hear the Gospel of Grace but they are Christians and will be judged as such if they do not believe upon Christ, and Christ alone, for their salvation.

I think the question of "...was I really a Christian..." is a common question that seems to imply that being a Christian is a matter of knowing every doctrine correctly. Of course, then we try to divine those doctrines that are "essential" and conclude that, if we believe those doctrines properly, then we're really saved (and hence a Christian).

On the one hand, we need to remember that our faith is a consequence of our election and union with Christ. On the other hand, it's not the doctrines we know properly but the faith we either possess or do not that does or does not procure His righteousness.

I don't want to dismiss the importance of properly being taught the things of God. Yet, when I encounter an individual who has been poorly taught, my view of the individual is not that they are non-disciples (read not Christians) but that they are poorly trained disciples that are in need of teaching.

I think a Reformed (read Scriptural) view of discipleship is helpful here. Rather than mistaking being a disciple (Christian) with surely being united to Christ (something only God can know), we must remember that a disciple is one who is baptized and now under obligation to learn and be taught the things of God.

It's not as if the Reformers believed they weren't Christians before the light of the Gospel dawned upon them but they condemned the Papists for witholding the light of the Gospel from those that had been baptized into Christ.

I also have to say that I'm not one to get into one of those "...some of you are going to be surprised at how many Arminians are going to be in heaven..." kind of equations. As time goes on, my zeal for the Truth doesn't require me to cast others into outer darkness because they believe wrongly. I believe they are, by baptism, Christians who require proper teaching. I am angry at the false undershepherds who will one day gnash their teeth when the sin of their neglect is revealed but the underfed sheep are still my brothers and sisters and, if they darkened the door of my Church, I would consider them those for whom I must strive together with to ensure that none shrink back in disbelief. I would desire for them that they leave their Churches where therapy and glory are taught so they can hear the Gospel of Grace but they are Christians and will be judged as such if they do not believe upon Christ, and Christ alone, for their salvation.

Very good way to put it, Rich. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back