The Decline of African-American Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down in Richmond for the weekend...will comment Monday. Busy schedule with approaching Hebrew final, preaching tomorrow, and my B-day...not to mention these two classes down here....yuck.

Haven't read any of them, but would definitely like to. I have heard good things about the first two, so I am interested in hearing your thoughts after you read them. This is just speaking from personal experience, but I would guess that a large part of the problem with African-American churches and hispanic churches is that they tend to place little emphasis on education, especially formal education in the areas of ministry, theology, etc. Instead they tend to rely on "the Spririt" to teach and guide everything. Of course this is not meant to be a blanket statement as I know that there are many African-American and Hispanic ministers who have solid theology (I hope I would be considered one). Also my experience has been that most African-American and Hispanic churches tend to be Pentecostal/Charismatic. I wonder if the book touches on this too?

I have "Decline", but haven't read it yet. I read "On Being Black and Reformed" a few years back and really enjoyed it (the author of that book, Anthony Carter, is my dad's pastor). Also, I started reading Anthony Bradley's "Liberating Black Theology" today on the plane back home from Orlando. Solid so far, as expected.

Bradley has a blog at http://bradley.chattablogs.com/, fyi.

Last edited:
The Decline... & Liberating Black Theology... are two outstanding books which complement each other really well. I would say that if you read these two you will have a better grasp about the problems in "Black" Theology better than their theologians. They really help to show why they came up and the problems they hoped to address. The thing I've learned is that instead of outright decrying Feminista, Black, Liberation, or whatever other theology is to see why they came up and where we're lacking in our orthopraxy. These souls didn't come up with this stuff in a vacuum however what they've devolved into now are pretty far removed from their start. Either way these are great books to add to your bookshelf.

The Decline... & Liberating Black Theology... are two outstanding books which complement each other really well. I would say that if you read these two you will have a better grasp about the problems in "Black" Theology better than their theologians. They really help to show why they came up and the problems they hoped to address. The thing I've learned is that instead of outright decrying Feminista, Black, Liberation, or whatever other theology is to see why they came up and where we're lacking in our orthopraxy. These souls didn't come up with this stuff in a vacuum however what they've devolved into now are pretty far removed from their start. Either way these are great books to add to your bookshelf.

Have you ever heard of William Banks and his book about the Traditional Black Church? If so, is it a good source?

Thanks!

I had Black Liberation Theology while in seminary and was looking for a good critique. Unfortunately it took two years for me to find it. :)

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to study under Dr. Bradley when I was at Covenant (he arrived right after I graduated). I've heard good things. And, he's a Clemson man, which makes him OK in my book. :)

Thanks!

I had Black Liberation Theology while in seminary and was looking for a good critique. Unfortunately it took two years for me to find it. :)

This is worth the read.

41SLXSicRrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to study under Dr. Bradley when I was at Covenant (he arrived right after I graduated). I've heard good things. And, he's a Clemson man, which makes him OK in my book. :)

Yeah but he's no longer at Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back