The Covenanters by J. K. Hewison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, and I expect, they use the second edition and reproduce the photos. If I you want one older history, pay for a 2nd edition (1912 I think). Years ago, 20 maybe now, David C. Lachman, bookseller, negotiated with the original publisher and bought remainders still wrapped in old wraps from 1908 and 1912 they had stored and I bought both editions; the first is red cloth, the second blue; sold off the first soon after but still have the other. Modern historians still cite Hewison which is a testament to its significance. Hopefully they don't shrink it down; it is folio size in the originals. Or very large quarto depending on how you look at it.

Are they re setting the type? This is one of those cases where a reprint would be fantastic as the cost to do such a work now would be prohibitive.

Hopefully, and I expect, they use the second edition and reproduce the photos. If I you want one older history, pay for a 2nd edition (1912 I think).
The Banner website says this:
"The first edition of The Covenanters had a gratifying reception from students of Scottish history. The late Mr. Andrew Lang thus characterised it: — ‘The truth about the Reformation and about the whole unhappy history of Scotland from 1540 to 1690 is not ce qu’un vain peuple pense. Dr. Hewison’s two lordly volumes on that period, The Covenanters, give only the traditional view expressed with extraordinary vigour and rigour.’

"The demand, expressed in many quarters, that the general public should acquire this work in a cheaper form, has led to the preparation of this edition. The volumes are substantially the same as their predecessors. It was necessary, however, to make some emendations; and, as a result of a fresh survey of authorities and the study of recently discovered historical data, to give a new setting to some memorable episodes, as well as to modify the characterisations of some distinguished personages. The publication in 1911 of the Diary of Sir Archibald Johnston of Wariston has necessitated changes in the account of the first subscription of the 1638 Covenant. A completer list of examples of the Covenants still preserved is furnished in Appendix iii and iv, Volume i. Appendix vii, Volume i., has also been rewritten."

To change an author's text even if wrong, I hope this is done editorially in a proper way. I'm not sure with both the first and second edition online why there was a demand for a cheap version. But maybe they know where all the buyers are for this.
The Banner website says this:
"The first edition of The Covenanters had a gratifying reception from students of Scottish history. The late Mr. Andrew Lang thus characterised it: — ‘The truth about the Reformation and about the whole unhappy history of Scotland from 1540 to 1690 is not ce qu’un vain peuple pense. Dr. Hewison’s two lordly volumes on that period, The Covenanters, give only the traditional view expressed with extraordinary vigour and rigour.’

"The demand, expressed in many quarters, that the general public should acquire this work in a cheaper form, has led to the preparation of this edition. The volumes are substantially the same as their predecessors. It was necessary, however, to make some emendations; and, as a result of a fresh survey of authorities and the study of recently discovered historical data, to give a new setting to some memorable episodes, as well as to modify the characterisations of some distinguished personages. The publication in 1911 of the Diary of Sir Archibald Johnston of Wariston has necessitated changes in the account of the first subscription of the 1638 Covenant. A completer list of examples of the Covenants still preserved is furnished in Appendix iii and iv, Volume i. Appendix vii, Volume i., has also been rewritten."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back