The Confessional Presbyterian v. 8 (2012) Contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
OWNER'S NOTE: Very rarely do I use the feature to require people to read a thread but I'm such a fan of this journal that I want all to read this thread and consider purchasing this upcoming volume (as well as any back volumes you have not already read).

- Rich

cpj8-1.jpg 2012 Issue of The Confessional Presbyterian
Topics: Princeton Seminary (1812-2012) / “Westminster Seminary California Distinctives?”
I'm pleased to say we are near going to print with the 2012 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian; contents are below. If we get to the printer in time we should have issues in the mail by mid December. Subscribe now and purchase in the online store. Our general theme is Princeton Seminary given the anniversary year (1812-2012), and our nearly dozen articles are listed below. The issue will be around 300 pages in length (about a 600 page book given our journal is a largish 2 column format).

With the new issue, we are also pleased to have a new occasional feature we are calling “Views in Review,” which will be under the purview of the reviews editor. For the inaugural outing of the feature, we have a substantial section of around 85 or 90 pages, we are subtitling: “Westminster Seminary California Distinctives?” which will present three papers and three responses: I. Law and Gospel, by Michael S. Horton (Response by Mark Garcia); II. The Reformed Two Kingdoms Doctrine: An Explanation and Defense, by David VanDrunen (response by Jeffrey C. Waddington); III. The Republication of the Covenant of Work, by J. V. Fesko (response by Cornelis Venema). Next year we hope to reverse the rolls and complete the exchange of views.

In addition to a short review section of about 20 pages (due to the new section) and our normal departments, we are pleased to have a first time and rather lengthy translation of a fairly late tract of John Calvin’s, where he opposed George Cassander’s attempt of a ‘middle way’ between Rome and Protestantism. This tract exhibits some important principals, and one in particular regarding the worship of God.

Please see the online store to purchase this forthcoming issue. We can only continue this worthwhile endeavor with your continued interest and support. All the back issues remain available at a special sale price for the set of seven previous issues. We will offer complete sets for purchase as long as issue 1 remains in print; after copies are exhausted, original complete sets will be unavailable.

The Confessional Presbyterian Volume 8 (2012) Contents.
2. Editorial

Articles

3. Archibald Alexander & the Founding of Princeton Theological Seminary
By James M. Garretson

20. 1823–1830: The Establishment Of Princeton’s Polemic
By Allen Stanton

35. Samuel Miller’s Pastoral Theology
By Andrew J. Webb

44. Hodge and Thornwell: “Princes in Israel”
By C. N. Willborn

55. Old Princeton and American Culture: Insights from J. W. Alexander
By Gary Steward

65. The Old Testament at Old Princeton
By Benjamin Shaw

74. “Right Reason” and the Science of Theology at Old Princeton Seminary: A New Perspective
By Paul Kjoss Helseth

91. Princeton and Evolution
By Fred G. Zaspel

99. Some Personal Thoughts on B. B. Warfield’s Life and Significance: A Lecture
By Carl R. Trueman

109. The Reorganization of PTS and the Exhaustion of American Presbyterianism
By D. G. Hart

120. Archibald A. Alexander D. D. (1772–1851) An Annotated Bibliography
By Wayne Sparkman

Sic et Non. Views in Review: Westminster Seminary California Distinctives?

I. Law and Gospel
By Michael S. Horton with Response by Mark Garcia

II. Two Kingdoms
By David VanDrunen with Response by Jeffrey C. Waddington

III. Republication of the Covenant of Work
By J. V. Fesko with Response by Cornel Venema

Reviews & Responses:

Andrew Hoffecker, Charles Hodge: The Pride of Princeton (Barry Waugh).
Kevin Giles, The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology (James J. Cassidy)
N.T. Wright, How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels (Caleb Nelson)
Carl R. Trueman, The Creedal Imperative (W. G. Crampton).
Ryan M McGraw, The Day of Worship: Reassessing the Christian Life in Light of the Sabbath (Matthew Vogan).
Clinton Arnold, Ephesians, Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (Jimmy Hall).

Psallo: Psalm 16 (Todd L. Ruddell).
In Translatiōne: Calvin’s Response to a Certain Tricky Middler (translated from the French by R. Victor Bottomly).
Antiquary: James Henley Thornwell’s First Pastoral Ministry at the Waxhaw Presbyterian Church (Barry Waugh).
Bibliography
------------------

Excellent news, Chris! It looks like a tremendous volume.

I'd recommend the journal to everyone. Skip going out to dinner once and buy it.

You can feast on it throughout the year.

And, no, I do not receive a kickback.... ;)

This issue is officially off my desk and off to the book maker; we should have issues to mail out in about a month. Even though we have 2 more editors this year it seems to still get harder each year to get out. See above for contents; the Views in Review section is new this year and we kick off this occasional feature with an important exchange (and length taking up 75 pages of the journal this year; and that is just round 1). I'll be sending notices to past subscribers by end of the week but don't wait for me. See the online store to purchase this issue. All the back issues remain available at a special sale price for the set of seven previous issues.

I don't have a one item link to encompass the back issues and the vol. 8; but it would be the same price as ordering the set and vol. 8. Just add both to the cart.

Dear Chris,
I am still having the problems placing an Individual USA order in my shopping cart, but I noticed that I can add both the Institution and International copies to my shopping cart without receiving a message about Volume 8 being out of stock. Is anyone else having this problem? Please let me know how quickly I can place an Individual USA order for Volume 8.

Your Brother in Christ,
Nathan Stockwell

I fixed the problem; I have no idea how stock limits got entered but there should be no problem now. (we should have journals to ship by mid December).

I am able to add volume 8 to my cart and checkout, but once I enter my card information into PayPal the service says my card can't be used to make the payment. I checked with my card company and there is no reason why - from their POV - my card can't be used to make the payment. I don't have, or want, a PayPal account so I'm just having PayPal bill my card. I have used this card to previously pay of previous years of the journal.

I can't address any problems with Paypal I'm afraid, and that's the only way to charge a subscription. Just mail a check to The Confessional Presbyterian, P O Box 141084, Dallas, TX 75214.

Dear Chris,
Thank you for your help. I sent out my check with a paper copy of the e-mail to show that I requested a copy in the mail yesterday (Nov. 28). I look forward working through this issue.

I just purchased my copy. As always, it looks excellent!

I am able to add volume 8 to my cart and checkout, but once I enter my card information into PayPal the service says my card can't be used to make the payment. I checked with my card company and there is no reason why - from their POV - my card can't be used to make the payment. I don't have, or want, a PayPal account so I'm just having PayPal bill my card. I have used this card to previously pay of previous years of the journal.

I had an error line as well about my credit card, but because I know the information was accurate, I just went ahead, and it accepted payment. It is probably a problem with PayPal's script.

The 2012 is in and shipping out to subscribers now. Thanks everyone who purchased the 2012. If you have not and would like to, or would like to buy all the back issues see the website store. We are also offering a 2 and 3 issue deal to USA folks; any 2 issues for $35 or any 3 for $45, postage paid. Contact me if interested.

Looks great - and I am so thrilled that there wasn't a major faux pas on the part of one of us members that needed addressing (that's what I figured the 'must read thread' was about).

Tried to order but something went wrong. I will try mailing in an order via snail mail.

Dear Chris,
I have not received a confirmation of my order being shipped, but the bank shows that the check was cashed on 12/10/2012. When should I expect an order confirmation?

Received mine yesterday. Already read the Fesko/Venema pieces on the "republication thesis." A must read for all confessionally Reformed people who hold to the three uses of the law.

Very good; I'm hearing the mail outs are starting to get to their destinations, hopefully all safe and sound via the USPS. It is only via necessity (since it takes us so long to put an issue together) that I brave the P.O. this time of year.

Out yesterday with furnace repairs, but on coming back today, a generous, gratefully received box was waiting with copies for the PCA Historical Center.

Many thanks, Chris.

I'm looking forward to start some good reading this evening.

Received mine yesterday. Already read the Fesko/Venema pieces on the "republication thesis." A must read for all confessionally Reformed people who hold to the three uses of the law.

Thanks, Mark. I thought in particular that the Fesko/Venema exchange was really excellent at getting the issues on the table and discussing them in a very pointed, and yet dignified way.

Thanks, Mark. I thought in particular that the Fesko/Venema exchange was really excellent at getting the issues on the table and discussing them in a very pointed, and yet dignified way.

Agreed. The exchange from both was thorough, scholarly, and yet readable for the layman. And yes, I would note Venema's piece was probably the most "pointed" I've ever read coming from his pen. Likewise, the Garcia/Horton exchange on law/gospel" was thorough and well done and highlighted the significant differences of approach to the issue.

At some point if you are so inclined, I would be interested in hearing your summary take on Venema's critique.

Chris, I ordered and paid for Vol. 8 and look forward to its arrival. I love the Presbyterian Journal. The first seven volumes have helped me become a knowledgeable Presbyterian. Thank you Chris for this series. I value them. I love the Reformed faith and the Presbyterian tradition, heritage and the Presbyterian church!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back